circulation boosters

knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 12. Feb 2014, 07:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Since having a right THR in 2010 I have suffered for the last three Summers with terribly swollen feet and ankles and I was wondering if any one on the forum has ever used one of these expensive circulation boosters which are frequently advertised on the tv? It's a lot of money to spend if they don't work. Never suffered before the THR so I can only put it down to the op. I've tried putting my feet in cool water and body brushing, but without any success.

Janet

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I wouldn't spend my money on these things. Surely they only do what most of us can do for ourselves ie quad exercises and foot exercises. According to the NHS (I seem to be checking them a lot today :roll: )

Your GP may recommend some things you can do yourself to reduce fluid retention, including:

losing weight (if you are overweight)
    taking regular exercise, such as walking, swimming and cycling
    raising your legs three-to-four times a day to improve your circulation
    avoiding standing for long periods of time

It sounds much cheaper :wink:

[Edited to remove broken link - Mod B]
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • knuckleduster
    I've done all of that stickywicket. On a hot Summer's day, feet and ankles start off fine but by the end of the day they are just blobs of fluid retention. Because my THR wasn't particularly successful in the balance and mobility stakes, I'm certainly not as active as I was, but I do still exercise and go for a walk each day although a lot more slowly. I'll have to think of something before Summer gets here, because if I have an evening social engagement it means sitting with my feet up for the most of the day so I can get my shoes on. Oh dear, such is life.

Janet
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    In that case I can only think of two possibilities and I'm not including the circulation booster partly because, when I enrolled at the local gym, I was advised only to use theirs for 1-2 minutes as they were concerned about their use with replaced joints.

Arthritis Care have ankle exercises in their booklet. You could try them if you haven't already (http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/Search/search_results_page_view?SearchableText=exercises 4th down on left) and/or, if you have summer invitations, you could maybe do what I started to do on long-haul flights when my feet swelled so much I had to suffer in my shoes because once off I couldn't get them on again :roll: I bought a pair of sandals of the kind that are basically just two adjustable straps. I change into them in the departure lounge. I'm hopeless at walking in them but at least I only have to walk to the loo and back :lol: Could you take some with you when going out?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've noted the 'celebrities' who advertise these - Steve Redgrave, Judith Chalmers and 'Beefy' Botham, all renowned for having arthritis. :wink: In my book these expensive things are for the worried well, not for the genuinely struggling. Feet up whenever you can, cold flannels on the swollen parts (I used to freeze wet flannels and wrap them in teatowels to absorb the melt) and hopefully things will ease. Are you taking any form of anti-inflammatory medication? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • knuckleduster
    Thanks for your reply dreamdaisy and I was sorry to hear about your broken arm and hope you are now feeling more comfortable.

My ankles and feet are fine from Autumn round to Spring, but once the hot weather of Summer sets in then I know I will have problems with the water retention again. For instance, should I have a social evening engagement on a hot day, then I have to sit with my feet up for the most of the day so I know I will be able to get my shoes on. Just thought I would try to find a solution well in advance of the hot balmy days of Summer.

And what I wouldn't give to see some sun now. Shouldn't complain I know, not with all that flooding those desperate people on the Somerset levels are having to contend with at the moment.

Janet xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Your GP may be the one to help, it would seem to be a seasonal issue for you. Does it happen even if we have a rubbish summer? I wonder if barometric pressure could be a cause - I'm no doc, just thinking out loud. DD

PS. Thank you for mentioning the arm. I am, alas, far from comfortable and the one-handed thing is losing its novelty. :roll:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • knuckleduster
    Hello stickywicket and dreamdaisy.

I like the term "barometic pressure". On a cool Summer's day I'm fine.

I know what you mean about getting your shoes back of stickywicket. It's happened to me too and sometimes in the theatre when I've kicked them off because I've been hot they seem to move, so when I go to put them back on, I can't even find them. Bit embarrassing that is. I'll give the two strap kind a go.

Thank you.

Janet
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Thank you for raising this, I too saw an dvertisement for this in The Times yesterday, and wondered if it does what it says. The comment bout "worried well" up thread made me smile!
    They do offer a 30 day free trial, wonder what the return costs would be tho??
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry I cant help ..I have never used one..I just use the old fashioned exercises..I have a cheap mini bicycle for the feet..so when I am on the comp I can cycle....and drink plenty of water..
    Love
    Barbara
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    hi knuckleduster ,

I use one all the time , they are very good if you suffer pain around your ankles or have circulation problems in lower leg , the problem is alot of us arthritis sufferers cant move enough to make it work normaly and we can get alot of problems with leg ulcers

the circulation boosters itself is just a TENS machine , the cheap ones are not powerful enough so not worth the money

personaly would have thought using a normal TENS on your calf to help your circulation would do the same & alot cheaper