New duvet...gel-fibre or goose down?

Boomer13
Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
edited 16. Feb 2014, 19:54 in Community Chit-chat archive
I found a good sale on duvets. They're not top of the line quality but what I can afford. One is cheaper-type goose down (had one of these before, wasn't too impressed).

The other is a gel-fibre :?:

Does anyone know how these are? I'm afraid it won't wash well......

Opinions anyone?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry, can't help, Anna,. I went back to blankets. It's the only way to ensure I get some cover. Mr SW tends to cocoon himself in a duvet.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I struggle with hotness so I opted for a goose feather and down - upping a level from duck and it's bliss. I confess I don't wash my duvets (life is far too short for that kind of effort) - once they're 'tired' they go a greyhound rescue centre, the staff need them for doggy post-op bedding.

I would never go for anything man-made, far too sweaty and uncomfy. I thought I could never afford goose feather and down but this was on a well known tropical river named site, cost under £40 and is wonderful. It's only 4.5 tog but perfect for us. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Sorry Anna, I don't have one or know anyone that does, although I will be keeping an eye on this thread for any feed back. I have looked at the reviews about them and sounds as if it would be perfect for me as I feel the cold so much and I like a duvet that flops round about me, here's hoping someone will come along with their input........................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • RosieGlow
    RosieGlow Member Posts: 175
    Pure Goose Down all the way for me.....no feathers though. Much lighter than anything else I`ve had, but still very warm.

I`m with DD on the washing - or rather not - and life being too short. Once it starts to look iffy, it goes!......Rosie.x.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry I havnt heard of the gel one, but would be interested to see how you get on with it
    Love
    Barbara
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Boomer we dont have the huge top loading washing machines like you do in Canada so I reckon thats why we replace rather than wash duvets.

I do hang ours out the window to air off though, weather permitting, so I arent a total scruff. :D

I have feather and down as I dont like the feel of the synthetic.
    Not sure what gel filled means, my son lives in Ontario but I havent heard any mention of them.

Kath
  • Boomer13
    Well that settles it, a down one it will be. Thank you everyone!!

:D

Kath, I think I'm an odd one here too for washing them. I expect one to last me a good long time. Phrased another way, I'm cheap :D .
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Boomer13 wrote:
    Well that settles it, a down one it will be. Thank you everyone!!

:D

Kath, I think I'm an odd one here too for washing them. I expect one to last me a good long time. Phrased another way, I'm cheap :D .

Nowt wrong with being cheap Boomer
    As we say in the north of England.

Off you go to the sale :)

Kath
  • Boomer13
    :lol: Thanks Kath