Need some advice

Options
jojo37
jojo37 Member Posts: 3
Hi all, I was diagnosed with PA a couple of years ago and claimed esa but they advised me I had to go on to Job seekers which I didn't want to do so I went self employed as a body piercer, I enjoy my job but at the moment I have been feeling so bad that there are days I can barely get out of bed. I'm waiting on results for an MRI and ultra sound scans, could anyone advise me what help is available for people who suffer PA can you claim disability living allowance or does PA not qualify,
I am not on medication as yet for my PA as they are awaiting the results of my tests, however they have put me on morphine for the pain which at times is unbearable and I am getting very little sleep, seem to be awake most of the night, just wondering if any one has any advice they can give me on what to do, I'm only 37 but my body feels about 80 at the minute so any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :? :idea:

Comments

• Lubs
    Lubs Member Posts: 155
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jojo,

I also have PsA and I get the higher rate DLA. So the answer to you questions is yes, you can apply for disability living allowance. My advice to you is to go to the CAB or Age Uk like I did. They can help you with your application as it is complicated and they also help with appeals.

Also they will want to know about your rheumatologist, the medications you are on, tests you have had or any results you are waiting for. All of this was to much for me to do by myself so I found the organisation very helpful.

Hope this helps
    Take care
    Lubs
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Options
    New people can not apply for DLA now, you'll have to apply for PIP which do have new requirements etc.

I would look up stuff on PIP and see how to reply. Unfortunately there has been long long delays to actually get on to PIP.

Good Luck tho.
  • jojo37
    jojo37 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks guy's for your help I will pop to my local c.a.b and get them to help me with the forms :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Even with PIP I think Lubs' suggestion of enlisting the help of CAB would be a good one.

However, I'm wondering what you mean by PA. This abbreviation is normally used to denote Palindromic Arthritis. It would possibly be diagnosed by a GP and the meds would consist of pain relief and anti-inflammatories. If, on the other hand, you actually mean PsA (Psoriatic Arthritis), this would be diagnosed by a rheumatologist. I'd be surprised if a rheumatologist had diagnosed PsA and then not prescribed the appropriate meds. Morphine is the strongest of pain relief but will do nothing to slow down the progression of PsA.

If you have Palindromic Arthritis then you could ask for CAB's help immediately though it will give more weight to your application once you get the results of your scans. If you have Psoriatic Arthritis it might be better to wait until you get on the appropriate medication.

I'm not the best person to advise you on this though. Why not give our Helplines a ring?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright