Flarey shoulder

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 23. Feb 2014, 15:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm flaring quite badly but my shoulder is flaring the worst of all. I'm in so much pain, I just don't know what to do. It's my right shoulder, basically my whole arm is useless - driving is virtually impossible and getting dressed as well washing my hair is actually impossible. Pain dullers are not doing it for me. I'm trying soft tissue massage therapy on Friday (a great expense at £60 a session!) which I'm hopeful about but no idea if this guy will be able to ease my shoulder. I'm finding it quite distressing, the pain is overwhelming. Any tips please? :(

Comments

• salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've got the same problem and am waiting for an injection under ultrasound. It's the only thing that worked last time.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    The only thing thats helps me is ice, to get rid of the inflamation, I have always used ice on my neck till a friend of mine sugested ice,for my shoulder, you need it on for at least an hour..and at the min I am using it 3 times a day...thought hips were painful till this shoulder joined in...hope you get some relief soon x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Hey
    Just sending you some support hope you get something sorted soon. I hope the pain will ease off. I have a bath or use distraction techniques
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My left shoulder is currently an irritant but that's due to my broken arm, all I can suggest is don't do the things that stress it. I'm hair washing etc. one-handed, taking a daily anti-inflammatory (I would like more but apparently that could impact on bone healing), taking my pain relief, doing gentle exercises and resting it. I am 'banned' from driving, can you stop that for a week or so to let things recover? All hurty joints are pigs but shoulders seem to be the biggest pigs of all - it's impossible to get comfortable. I empathise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Aw Starburst I do feel for you. Whilst it may well be that the chap on Friday could be your salvation, from my own experience I would've consulted my doc first to rule out impingement etc.

Shoulders are quite complex and to me the fact that it's only your right shoulder could possibly indicate that you've unwittingly caused some sort of trauma there. I've no medical knowledge of course but I've always found that flare ups with RA are bilateral :?

If it's trauma I'd advocate ice; if a flare then heat.

I do hope you gain some relief from your pain tomorrow.

Cherry x
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Feeling for you! :(

I had horrible problems with my right shoulder last year for a bout 3 months, after x rays, exercises, MRI and many pain killers it was finally eased by a steroid injection into the joint. Seems I have erosion of the shoulder joint which could be linked to RA. Maybe it's worth seeing your GP for advice or stronger anti inflams?

Hope you get some relief soon. I did find warm packs helped-it might be worth a whirl.

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You have my sympathy, Sophie. Shoulders are nasty things when they go wrong. I, too, have had steroid jabs in mine and some worked better than others. It seems there are two places you can inject and, if you get the wrong one, it won't help. I'll be thinking of you on Friday. I hope you get value for money.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Julie37927
    Julie37927 Bots Posts: 35
    I agree, it could be a flare up of RA but also could just be a sore shoulder, which is quite common over 40. I would also suggest ice and lots of it, but also don't do anything with it that aggravates it. Find a comfortable position and get a good book. You and ice will be friends for a couple of days while the inflammation settles down. Hope this helps.
  • Starburst
    Thank you so very much for the helpful advice.

I've been using ice and I'm going to lay off driving after tomorrow - unfortunately, I had some placement related engagements over the last couple of days that couldn't be cancelled. I've done 60 miles in 2 days which is a lot for me and probably didn't help. I have a study week next week, so I'll be confined to the house anyway. :wink: If it doesn't ease up, I'll mention to rheum when I see her in March.

Both shoulders (and wrists, hands and feet :? ) are flarey but right shoulder is particularly bad which does make me wonder if I have done something rather that it being 'only' inflammation. I'm only 25 though and hardly sporty and active, so I can't imagine what I've done!

I shall report back after my soft tissue therapy/message session tomorrow. Rumour has it that the therapist is quite handsome. That's not the only reason I am going though, I hasten to add! :lol:
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hope your therapy goes well tomorrow Sophie and you get some relief......................enjoy the eye candy :wink: (full report required) :lol: ........................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Hi Starburst,

I'll be peeking out of your pocket tomorrow :wink:

Hopefully the therapist will be helpful as well as handsome! My right shoulder's poorly at the moment too and I'm waiting for an ultrasound appointment so my rheum'ist is able to advise my GP how to proceed. In past times, a steroid injection worked wonders, but things are more complicated now due to very restricted joint spaces. Anyway, I hope you feel some relief soon and I look forward to the report! :lol:

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • Starburst
    He released my frozen shoulder!!!!! :D It can move!

I initially felt light as a feather but I spent 2 hours sitting down in a restaurant this evening and got up feeling really stiff and sore. We've also established that my mystery hip problem (pain and stiffness but clear MRI scan) is actually due to my spine issues referring the pain across.

Obviously he can't see inside the joint but he thinks there is some bony damage in both shoulders (right being worse) and that I am tensing up the muscles around my neck and upper back to cope with the pain.

Blimmin' RA has done a number on me but I know that I can't go back and change the past, just got to hope that the current combo stops any inflammation coming back and attacking any more joints.

Night everyone x

P.S. He's a bit too young for me!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think that's probably money well spent. I hope the shoulder stays eased and you have a much better insight now into where the pain's coming from and - perhaps even more importantly - where it's not. Any more sessions booked?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Hi Starburst,

Great news, well worth a cheesy grin :D

And I'm glad the £60 paid off! :shock:

That bit about damaged joints and tensed muscles makes sense to me too. I find my pain is worse when I have a lot of work on, as I don't have time to relax. Well, that's just me grumbling. Hopefully your current meds will help to prevent further damage, as you say :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)