6 weeks on from the THR

Sarah01
Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
edited 23. Feb 2014, 14:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well. It's been a very stressful few weeks for me, which has resulted in me being frustrated and very down hence why I haven't been on here for a few weeks.

I will be 6 weeks post op tomorrow and I am still on 2 crutches. I was doing so well at the 3 week point, doing short walks and my exercises. I was starting to feel good about myself. Then I woke up one morning with a swollen knee and hip and a sore groin. I couldn't weight bear or do my exercises. Saw the doctor who advised to ice the knee and elevate. Did what he said and it did not get better. Last week I went upstairs and as I got to the top my operated leg gave way and I nearly fell backwards. I saw the doctor that day who advised me to rest completely until I saw the surgeon for my post op review. She thought that my hip may have slightly moved. She promised to fax a letter to my surgeon the next day as I was seeing him 4 days later.

Saw the surgeon who was visibly shocked to see me slowly walking in on 2 crutches. He did an xray there and then and thankfully confirmed that the hip was exactly where it was. He thinks the swelling in the hip is due to a couple of the internal stitches being torn and it should settle down. The swelling in my knee is down to a "twisted knee". Apparently this is common in patients who have had THRs. He thinks I did it in my sleep. I am back on the morphine for the pain and I am seeing him again in 10 days to see if the swelling has subsided. If it hasn't he will scan the knee. He did state that this will set my recovery back at least 4 weeks. I can carry on with the exercises and I wanted to do some physio to strengthen the leg but I can't until I see him again.

I feel frustrated that I have taken a step back instead of forwards. Thankfully I have a very understanding and sympathetic surgeon who was brilliant with me and totally understood my feelings of frustration and feeling very down.

Has anyone else suffered with a twisted knee after having a THR?

On a positive note, it is great to see you are doing so well Hileena after your operation and you are getting out and about :D

Take care
Sarah x

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sarah
    4 weeks today and waiting for the nurse.
    I'm still on 2 crutches...well one plus furniture inside but 2 outside. If it wasn't for my scooter I wouldn't be out and about as much.
    My knee is painful......not too bad and not swollen but never had pain there before......its the top of my knee cap mostly.
    Hope things go well for you and you do get it sorted

Love
    Hileena
  • Sarah01
    Hi Hileena,

It's great that you are on 1 crutch inside the house after 4 weeks. I saw from your post that you had a tough time with the op and I was sorry to hear that.

It is positive to see that you are doing so well :D

Take care
    Sarah x
  • hileena111
    Hi Sarah
    pm me any time you want to.
    Just had the nurse here and the dressing is back on again :shock:

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You've had a tough 'recovery' time, Sarah. Thankfully, everyone involved - you, your GP and your surgeon - seems to have done the right thing. Obviously it's a blow and a setback but you know all is well with the hip which is the main thing.

I didn't have knee problems after either of my THRs - but then my knees were also prostheses so maybe not :roll:

Do as advised, however boring and disappointing, as that's the route to success.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Sarah I am so sorry you have had such a rotten time, it must be so worrying
    I am now 7 months post op and have had a really good recovery..sadly I still have the sciatic pain and a bad back , but the hip is fine..I am due to have my other one done and I am getting worried with all these hip stories..it must be very scarey for you..
    I hope everything settles down very soon and like you say your surgeon is a good one and that helps..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Hi Sarah
    This is your surgical twin calling, except I had a TKR.
    Sorry you are having such a rough time. One would think if you twisted your knee in your sleep it would wake you up, I wondered if your knew hip was giving you a different sort of gait which has put strain on your knee.
    I am doing ok I think, had a few wobbles along the way when I thought I should be making more progress, but really it was very early days. They are a wise bunch on this forum!
    Take things very easy, I hope someone is taking good care of you.
    Love Fiona
  • Sarah01
    Hi Hileena,

Sorry to hear they had to put another dressing on. Hopefully it will sort itself out soon :)

Thanks for the offer of the PM, might just take you up on that :)

Sarah x
  • Sarah01
    Hi SW,

I am thankful I have great doctors and a great surgeon. It's great that they understand how much I want to just get on and move forward. Waiting another 10 days to find out what the surgeon plans next won't be too bad especially as the days do tend to fly by at the moment.

Sarah x
  • Sarah01
    Hi Barbara,

It has been worrying at times, that's why I felt so down. I pretended I was OK to everyone but deep down inside I just wanted to hide in a dark room. I wasn't as scared as I thought I would be, just frustrated and down.

When I saw the surgeon the other day, I asked him if he could save the left hip as I didn't want to go through all this again so soon. He told me he was optimistic the arthroscopy would delay another THR for a few years, if not, I would have to have another THR either the end of this year or early next year. One thing is for sure, the human brain has a wonderful mechanism for forgetting just how much pain you have gone through :D

I'm sure you will be fine Barbara :) everyone I spoke to who had THRs kept telling me it was the best thing they had and they were up and about within a week. Surgery will always affect people in different ways. Some get up within a week, 2, 3 or 4 weeks. Unfortunately I have just had a bad run, but here's hoping everything will be fine when I do eventually have the next one done

Sarah x
  • Sarah01
    Hi my surgical twin :D

I asked my surgeon why I did not feel the knee twist. He said it "doesn't take much movement for it to happen". It has been very painful and tonight was no exception, I had a tremendous amount of pain in the knee when I went into the kitchen. I laid on the sofa with it elevated and an ice pack on. It's helped a lot :)

If it's still swollen in 10 days he will do a scan of the knee so we will know one way or another what is going on.

Good to hear you are doing OK. When I went to my THR class prior to the op, the physio told all of us that a TKR was so much more painful then a THR. I feel for all of you that have had those done.

My husband is away now for 8 weeks, he works in the Middle East. However, I have 2 boys, 16 and 18 who are a godsend, plus great family and friends who drive me everywhere and help out around the house when needed, so I am lucky :)

Sarah x
  • barbara12
    Hi Sarah
    Dont you go worrying about me, I will get there, even if they di have to wait a bit longer :roll: at least now you have an idea of what is wrong, but it must be so painful for you
    Such a shame your hubby is away, but with such a lovely family around you. :) I do hope the pain and swelling ease very soon. ((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sarah01
    Hi Barbara,

The pain comes and goes, sometimes it is manageable with pain relief. My friend decided that I needed to get out for an hour yesterday. She picked me up and took me to Sainsburys as they had a 25% off sale on clothes. I bought a few items and we had a cream tea in the cafe.

It was nice to get out but I suffered for it when I got back, so spent the afternoon laid with the knee elevated and an ice pack.

Only 8 days until I see the surgeon so hopefully we will be able to put an action plan into place to strengthen the hip and knee and get me off the crutches :)

Sarah x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope, on balance, the trip out was worth it. You did the right thing to elevate once home. With luck, the surgeon will have good news for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    Glad you had a trip out Sarah,I remember how much more human I felt..but so tired like you say ....but bit by bit the tiredness gets better...just keep having short walks ..I hope they sort out what is wrong , then you can really move on...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    Hi Sarah
    I always find that a trip out is worth the payback afterwards
    Hope you found so as well.
    Love
    Hileena
  • Sarah01
    I did enjoy my short trip out. As you said Barbara it does make you feel human :D

For the past 6 weeks l have only been to the surgery and the hospital. It was great to get out and you are right Hileena it is worth it. I must admit I was out for the count when I went to bed. Managed a short walk with my son today.

How are you both doing and how is the hip Hileena?

Sarah x