newly diagnosed with OA of theknee

Sioned
Sioned Member Posts: 4
edited 23. Feb 2014, 12:34 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone
I'm recently diagnosed with OA of the knee, having had almost 2 years of doctors /physios and different advice. It's been quite a shock to find that there is no real treatment - though I have been offered a few more sessions of Physiotherapy - I've said yes, but it didn't help at all last year - but this will be a different physio, so possibly it will this time.
I've been a keen hill walker for most of my life, increasing pain while doing it was what led me to the GP in the first place. Now I'm told just to do short walks on the flat -this is SO frustrating and feels like a big loss. A loss to my sense of myself, too.
My husband tries, but isn't very patient with my misery about it. And as others have noted here, there's been a lot of the "that's not so bad" sort of responses from friends. It feels quite a lonely place to be in. I feel I shouldn't mind as much as I do, but I DO mind!
Lots of questions, this web-site is a god-send.

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I've got OA in the hips {not knee} but there isn't much can be done sorry.
    GP, pain killers, and anti inflammatory are the usual meds.

As far as anything else is concerned........Heat or Cold....with me its heat.......I've got quite a few Wheat bags about the house.
    TENS machine possibly??

As far as no hill walking is concerned.......you have to treat it like a bereavement and act accordingly
    We have all been bereaved of something or other because of arthritis.
    Hope others will be along with more helpful advice than this :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Of course you feel down about it - your body has betrayed you in the basest way possible and it ain't fun. I see no reason why you shouldn't carry on walking whilst you can - good, supportive footwear and using a walking pole (on the opposite side to the affected knee) may give you the ability to do the walking you love but build in some rest periods too.

I have two kinds of arthritis, an auto-immune type and the joint damage from that has led to OA in both knees and both ankles. Hileena is right, we all suffer 'activity bereavements' - I miss cycling, dancing, walking and swimming but most of all I miss walking hand-in-hand with my husband because I need to use either crutches (since 2002) or a rollator (since late 2012). I began my arthritic 'decline' aged 37 and I will be 55 next Sunday - crikey! How did THAT happen? :lol: I don't moan to my husband - what's the point? It doesn't help me, it surely doesn't entertain him - this is MY problem and I am the one who has to deal with it. There are around eight - ten million arthritics in the UK (depending on whose statistics one reads) and the majority have OA - it's ubiquity is its undoing because there is very little to be done in terms of treatment. One thing you may be able to look forward to is a new knee - if you are granted that then things should improve but knees are not dished out on request and things have to be severe before the NHS will consider it.

You are talking to the initiated on here - no question is too trivial and we do understand the frustrations that arthritis brings. I'm currently battling on with a broken left arm - now that ain't fun either! :lol: I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Sioned and a warm welcome from me
    Im so glad you have joined only sorry you had to in the first place, you now have people to talk to that understand some of what you are going through..like you I have OA in multiple joints and I was also quite fit,so I understand the frustration you are going through..hopefully you will get lots of advice and support off the forum..
    Love
    Barbara