Not having a good day

Sarah01
Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
edited 28. Feb 2014, 12:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning everyone,

Hope everyone is well this Monday morning.

Woke up this morning with pain in the groin, thigh, knee and shin. Getting out of the chair, moving about on both crutches and even sitting or lying is a painful experience. I have taken pain relief, unfortunately it isn't reducing the pain.

Feeling frustrated again that my recovery seems to be taking a step back, rather then moving forward :(

Sarah x

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry your having a bad day Sarah, all you can do is listen to your body and have a rest day and take it easy and take plenty of pain relief. Hope it doesn't last to long and you feel a little better tomorrow. Sending you big soft (())'s
  • Sarah01
    Thank you Bubbadog :)

I am ensuring I rest today and get up as and when I need to.

I feel bad for posting on here that I am having a bad day then finding out poor Hileena is in hospital. It's made me realise that what I am going through is nothing compared to Hileena :oops:

Sarah x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Convalescence is a long process and is comprised of almost-too-small-to-notice steps forward followed by what feels like massive ones back. In reality they even themselves out but, when one is in the middle of it, it's hard to judge how things are going. I reckon you are doing OK, it took years for things to get bad enough for surgery but recovery will be done in months - which feel like boring and frustrating months. :wink: You will get there, just take it one day at a time. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Sarah01 wrote:
    I feel bad for posting on here that I am having a bad day then finding out poor Hileena is in hospital. It's made me realise that what I am going through is nothing compared to Hileena :oops:

Banish the thought, Sarah. Hileena has her pain and you have yours. All pain has to be acknowledged and dealt with. There will always be someone worse off than any of us but we still all have our own rubbish to endure. It's not as if forum compassion is finite. There's plenty to spare for everyone.

DD's right, you know. It's a bad day and they happen often for no obvious reason. As long as the overall trend is in the right direction that's all that matters. Be gentle with yourself, take a day off and be more ready to do battle again tomorrow :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi Sarah, sorry to hear you are having a rubbish time. We have all been down that road, I am afraid it's what DD said it is one day at a time but we are all here for one another so you don't need to be alone, sending you some ((((())))) let's hope tomorrow is a better day for you.........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Sarah01
    Morning everyone,

I did rest a lot yesterday and took plenty of pain relief and iced the knee. The pain finally subsided once I fell asleep.

Woke up this morning feeling a lot better and refreshed, some nagging pain but not as bad as yesterday. Managed a couple of my exercises this morning but not all of them. I also noticed that some of the swelling has also gone down around the incision wound on my hip which is great. Unfortunately the knee is still swollen.

It's such a lovely forum on here and I am so glad I joined, it helps me so much when I am having bad days to write about it and know that there are people on here who have gone through the same and it's great to know I am not alone in going through this, just wish my OH didn't have to work away for so long :(

But onwards and upwards, today is a new day :)

Sarah x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The benefits of rest should never be under-estimated - it is vital after such a big operation. It sounds as though you did the right thing yesterday so make sure you do it again today, and tomorrow and for a few days after too: healing is a long and rather tiresome process (says she with feeling five weeks after breaking her left arm). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sarah01
    Hi DD

I had another day of rest today. Only did a few exercises and kept the knee iced and elevated. Had a letter from the hospital to say my appt with the surgeon has been put back another 3 days. Not to worry, 3 days is nothing.

Hoping he will let me start some physio to strengthen the hip. How is the arm?

Sarah x
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Hi Sarah
    Have not looked in for a day or so, really sorry to hear you have not been so good. I hope things are a bit better today, not much to add to the wise words already posted, rest and look after yourself.
    I am sorry OH is not there, are your boys good, will they help out, they are not that old tho. Do you have anyone else who will help out with shopping, cooking etc. I'm not great on my own, do not know how I would have managed without OH, he took to the carer/housekeeping really well, he likes to be busy tho and can't just sit, i keep having to remind him that I can do stuff now! The thought of yours not being there to support you makes me very sad for you.
    This forum is terrific isn't it? I have found it great for advice, wise words, kick up the bum (I did need it at one point) and bit of comfort when not feeling great.
    Keep us posted, love fiona.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Sarah
    Just trying to catch up.
    Sticky is right.......you hve your pain and I have mine.......I'm not going to say "my pain is worse than yours!!!!!!" :wink:
    It did come as a shock admittedly and I got home yesterday {Tue} afternoon so this will be the first day at home {no nurses etc} so will have to take it easy

Glad to hear you are having an easy day{s} its the only way
    Take care
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Sarah
    Sorry you have been suffering..we be very inpatient when we have had ops...me included.. :roll: and don't apologies for having a moan..its the one thing that will help..honest..I see you had a better day with rest..I hope today is a good one..((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sarah01
    Hi Fiona,

Today has not been too bad, I managed a shower this morning and some of my exercises. One of my friends came round to see me this morning which was great.

They boys have been fantastic, I could not get through each day without them, they juggle college with housework, caring for me, cooking and dog walking. I'm so proud of them both. It's hard my OH being away for so long but unfortunately it is his job. He was able to come home for 2 weeks, 10 days after my op so we did get some time together and I got plenty of TLC :D

Tomorrow will be a fun day, we have a 6 month old German shepherd and she has decided to be a bit of a handful. We've enlisted the services of a dog trainer whilst my OH is away, she is coming tomorrow to help us with her. Our puppy has decided to try and dominate me, she is very hyper at the moment and has a habit of biting everything and everyone and knows that I cannot discipline her. One of the boys is not at college tomorrow so he will be doing everything with the trainer and I will be sitting and observing....hopefully everything will be good after that, wish me luck :wink:

How is everything with you Fiona?

Sarah x
  • Sarah01
    Hi Hileena and Barbara,

How are you both today? Hileena, how was your first day at home without the nurses? I hope you had a comfortable night last night.

Today has been a better day for me, I have rested again and I have been well looked after by the boys. So well that I gave them a night off from the cooking and cleaning and treated them to a Dominos, they are 2 very happy boys :D

I don't intend to do much for the next few days, well apart from the exercises and then I intend by the weekend to start again with the short walks.

Sarah x
  • hileena111
    Hi Sarah
    Thanks for asking......Yesterday (half a day home) wasn't bad) Then believe it or not I slept reasonably well last night. Today has been fine....busy catching up with emails/posts/pms etc :lol:

You take care

Love
    Hileena
  • Sarah01
    Hi Hileena,

Good to hear that you had a good day yesterday and a reasonable night. I slept right through last night until 7.30am, the first time in ages I have not woken up.

Knee still swollen and sore but carrying on with the hip exercises and balancing mobility and rest, seems to be working well :D

Hope you are having a good day today :)

Sarah x
  • hileena111
    Hi Sarah
    That's a fantastic sleep....well done :wink:
    Glad the exercises seem to be working for you, along with rest

Love
    Hileena
  • Sarah01
    Hi Hileena,

It is great I can sleep better, slept till 8.15 this morning so another good night.

Unfortunately the knee is 3 times its size today so not doing too good on the mobility front. Have scaled down the exercises again and rested the hip and knee.

Next Thursday can't come too soon to see the surgeon again. Hope you have had a good day today :)

Sarah x