Stiffness

Kazzab123
Kazzab123 Member Posts: 26
edited 26. Feb 2014, 11:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been diagnosed with OA of one hip. I suspect I have some form of arthritis in my lower back, shoulder, knees, hands but am waiting for confirmation from my rheumatologist.

One of the things I struggle with the most is all over stiffness. I feel especially at the minute as though it's the morning after I've done a fully body workout in the gym. I'm only 41 and feel like an old lady. Does anyone else experience the same thing?

Karen

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, yes I do. I have a fair few arthritis-affected joints (some with my auto-immune plus OA) and wake firmly stiff, go through the day moderately stiff and go to bed slightly stiffer than I began. :lol: I'm ending my seventeenth year with this malarkey and stiffness levels have grown over the years. It's part and parcel of the disease but people are affected differently. I know that gentle low-impact exercise is good for us, such as cycling or swimming, because that helps to keep our muscles in shape; rubber bands are also useful for resistance exercise (not the sort the postmen have, the long ones!) Another thing I find helpful is massages from a sports physio - she frees things up very well indeed but of course the stiffness returns. I think for me it's because every move hurts so, to minimise that hurt, I don't move as freely as I should. I wish you well and I hope you get your diagnosis soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Karen
    Like you I have OA in my hips back and a couple of other places, and yes I have stiffness..it used to be just in the mornings but lately it is throughout the day..the things is to balance moving around with rest...you will learn how much exercise you can get away with ...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hey Karen, we're the same age so I know how you feel! Most mornings I try and get up and end up screaming for my OH to help me get up. I feel like I have a 80yr old woman in a 41 yr old skin!! I have Inflammatory Arthritis and on top of that Osteoporosis, Fibromyalgia and Epilepsy! Sometimes I shock my self that I can move some days!! :lol: All we can do Karen is make a group so we can have a rant every morning about how stiff we are!! All we can do is oil the joints and start our engines and carry on through the day. Hope you have had a better start to the day today and that Arther has been kind to you this morning.
  • Julie37927
    Julie37927 Bots Posts: 35
    It's great that you are working out, but that does stiffen the muscles, especially weights. Do you stretch after your workout? That would help. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but a walk or cycle after your work out helps flush out some of that lactic acid build up. Lactic acid is produced in muscle when they've been strengthened and causes the pain in stiffness the next day. Professional hockey players cycle for 45-60 minutes after every game to help with stiff muscles.
    Also Yoga and/or Pilates are both really great for helping lessen stiffness, flexibility and core strength. Hope this helps. :)