I am Finding The Winter Olympics . . . .

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 28. Feb 2014, 06:34 in Community Chit-chat archive
. . . . thoroughly underwhelming. The asinine commentary by some of the BBC bods is astonishing in its puerility; whooping, shrieking and gales of fake laughter do not a commentary make. I usually enjoy these games but it seems to be increasingly childish in its constituent parts. Ski Sunday used to be essential viewing but now? This is that writ large. There have been some remarkable performances, especially in the ice rink, we have a gold (Go Lizzy! Oh, you did :wink: ) and the ice hockey is as fast and exciting as ever but somehow it is missing a crucial element, I'm not sure what but for me something is lacking.

Any thoughts? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hubby and I were saying the same...ski Sunday was brilliant and like you say not to be missed..but I have given up on these games.... :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Winter Olympics? Really :lol:

I see the BBC commentary team for one event were rightly hauled over the coals for screaming, willing the non-Brit competitors to fail and actually shouting "I can't watch it" at one stage. You are being PAID to watch it :mrgreen:

I appreciate that many of these sports - and competitors - are young and that the experts are probably equally young and inexperienced but the Beeb could learn a lot from its own Test Match Special team in which newbies, or current players, are there alongside an experienced commentator. Their input is not expected to be anywhere near as great and all are aware that the important thing is the sport not their own reactions to it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    I don't let it worry me to much I have tinnitus so I can't hear much of it I just marvel at the agility of the athletes utterly stunning aerobatics on the snow boarding and free skiing, and talk about b**s a little British girl gets on a tin tray and goes hell for leather down an ice chute and whops the bum's of the rest of the world, now that deserves an MBE at the very least if u ask me.
  • Julie37927
    Julie37927 Bots Posts: 35
    I agree it's been horrible coverage. Don't really get it, it's not new or rocket science. My best advice is to watch another stations coverage of it. I watch online and you can pick who commentates and how. The hockey is very exciting and a few upsets too. The Yanks losing to the Finns surprised me, looks like they didn't bring their A game. Can't wait to see the Canadians whomp Sweden for GOLD!!!!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    However, yesterday's rugby........phwoar :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Agreed although there was plenty of coverage the commentators were abysmal. Where did they get them? Expect better of the BBC.

Kate xx
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    There seems to be a new generation of commentators who are not from the 'old school'

Sign of the times me thinks :roll:
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    well we had sue barker, clare Balding and robin Cousins doing a fine job with commentary. I was more upset by some of the judging than the commentary-I do like things to be fair.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Looking forward to the Winter Para-Olympics starting, Ch4 have the rights to show them and they start on the 7th March!! They are more exciting I think.