My first dental appointment since being on Meth & Hydro

Options
valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 28. Feb 2014, 18:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
This may be a stupid question but today half of my tooth broke off and I can't get dentist appointment until Monday. Really cross because I was having a really good almost pain free day fromRA. Hopefully if I take care it won't get painful before then. My question is is it OK to have the dental work done while I am on meth and hydrox. I am due to take my 4 meth tabs on Monday as this is my day. Should I take before I go. Sorry if this is a daft question but as I am new to this medication I wondered if anyone can advise. Many thanks

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's not a daft question, it's perfectly reasonable. If it were me I would hold off on the meth until I'd been to the dentist and I would make sure she knows I take it (and any other relevant drug). I have had many more years practice at this malarkey than you and am not afraid to 'fiddle' with the timing of my meds but I think there's nothing wrong in erring on the side of caution. It's obviously too late for you to ring your rheumatology helpline for advice (assuming you have one). I hope you can get in to see the dentist and a repair can be effected. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply DD. I will hold off my meth and other meds just to be safe. I will try to ring the R Nurse on Monday morning as my appointment is not until 12.30 but they don't man a phone and reply to all messages on Weds so may not get much help there. I really appreciate you answering my question. I don't know what I would do without this forum as its so much help. Hope you have a good night.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Definitely not stupid, valde. In such circumstances I always wait until I'm safely home :lol: before taking my meth though I'm a bit more gung ho with the hydroxy. I'm fairly sure ( though I don't have it on me right now) that my Blue Book says I can take it any time on the normal day.

My dentist keeps a note of my meds and always checks that nothing has changed. Ensure that yours remembers the meth if ever they need to prescribe antibiotics as not all are suitable for us.

I hope it goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright