Visiting Doc for sick certificate

Options
Fionabee
Fionabee Member Posts: 146
Hello.
I'm seeing the Doc on Friday about my low Hb post surgery, I also want to ask him for a sick certificate.
I had my knee replaced not quite 6 weeks ago, hospital gave me a certificate which runs out next Monday 24th. I have made a good recovery and am increasing my activities, but I just don't feel ready to return to work. I work in a library, the days we are open we are kept on the go, usually only two of us doing most of the work, I am on my feet 90% of the time. I have just sat on a kick stool in the kitchen to dry the dogs paws, getting up off it was extremely difficult, despite all those squats I have been doing!I know they will offer a phased back to work and OH will be involved, but having just walked up the road and back to see a friend off on the bus, I am done in!
What I am asking is, do you think my GP will give me a sick certificate willingly or am going to have to make a really strong case?
Thanks

Comments

• brandy192
    brandy192 Member Posts: 73
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi I dont think you will have any problem getting a sicknote 6 weeks is not a long time to recover from such a big operation especially when your job involves standing and walking alot I wouldnt worry too much your recovery will be much quicker if you are not forced to go back to work before you are ready. wishing you a speedy recovery I have OA in both knees but have not had a knee replacement yet. :)
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Quick update.
    I did get a note for a further 2 weeks, but what an u comfortable exchange it was. The GP barely opened his mouth to me, there was such a lack of interest, concern, empathy I could have sat and wept. I'm rarely at the docs, I don't abuse the service. I felt so awful afterwards I feel like naming and shaming, but I wont. Husband attended the appt with me, we were both left feeling what on earth is he doing in his profession. Shall avoid him in the future. The irony is, when he joined the practice 18 or so yrs ago as the junior partner, he was the GP of choice, he is now the senior partner but is still under or only around 50.
    Fionabee
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Just keep in mind that he is the one with the problem, not you Fionabee. You are only doing what is needed. And it is needed. It's pointless going back to work before you are properly fit as it would only compromise the recovery.

My GP once warned me off a locum who'd be helping out for a week. A pathologist. "He's great with dead people" he informed me "but hopeless at communicating with live ones." :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright