Pain relief

Settler
Settler Member Posts: 51
edited 5. May 2014, 14:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
What's available, my arthritis is in my hands, wrist and jeez it can be xxxx painful, I'm sure you all know too well, been feeling sorry for myself, hey who doesn't , anyway, I can take cocodamol 30mg, diclafenac, dyhdrocodiene, haven't mixed the first and seconds ones yet, bit wary of doing that, and only been diagnosed within last year, but by golly when it gets a hold of you, if fairly gets a grip, having a bad time at present, having said that when i have a good spell it usually lasts a few week, I also get acupuncture , but I feel there must be a better non addictive painkiller out there, but what is it?
Reckon it probably an expensive one or we would all know about it, and docs won't be keen to prescribe it

[Edited for swearing
Mod B]
Shirley

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Alas no, settler. I don't think there's anything 'better'. There are the really big guns such as morphine patches but then where do you go when you have a bad spell if using those regularly? You're already on some quite big combinations.

Have you asked to be referred to a Pain Clinic? Lots of people find them very helpful. Exercise helps as it keeps the supporting muscles strong and a well-supported joint is a less painful one. You could check out the ones in AC's booklet on Healthy Living or ask for physio. Wrist supports can also help but only for short periods as they encourage the muscles to fall asleep.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Pain is a fact of our creaky lives. I reckon it's best to learn to live with it rather than become a woolly-headed-drugged-out-of-life human being. My last pain-free days were back in 1997, I cannot remember what it was like and I am pleased about it because it bears no relation to my arthritic life. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Settler
    isnt it awful that there is nothing else, made appointment with doc to get refered to pain management clinc if we have one, lol
    they didnt know but thought we did, so i phoned hospital they put me through to a never ending ringing phone, so still none the wiser, but hopefully doc will know, she is really good,
    also i ordered a hot wax bath looking forward to using that
    thanks for the replies
    Shirley
  • Settler
    why has my post been edited for swearing , i never nor would i swear on her
    Shirley
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Settler

The language filter used by the software is very strict, even picking up odd words contained within longer words. I had to edit your post with xxxx before the automatic moderation software would allow it to appear on the board.

Although not "swearing" as such, it was easier to describe it in that way. My apologies for the inappropriate description: will try to do better next time :)

e.g. "Edited for language moderation software" :D

Mod B
  • HannahT
    HannahT Member Posts: 38
    Hi Settler,

I too suffer from stiff fingers and sore wrists, mostly in the morning though. I have been somewhat coping with the pain to this point and have finally made an appointment with my doctor to get a diagnoses. I am a bit weary of the results and being prescribed pain killers because of how addictive they are.

I am interested to know more about the acupuncture treatment you've had and did it help?

Thanks
    H
  • Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    Just wanted to warn you about the use of codeine...

It's easy to become addicted and physically dependant on this drug. I did. For 3 years, I used to take it on a daily basis as much as I felt I needed. I thought I was in agony every day from my arthritis, but I wasn't. I was physically dependant on codeine and suffering painful withdrawal symptoms. I had no idea.

After going cold turkey, which is more trouble then it's worth, I'm like a whole new person. I've regained some energy and not in the same level of pain as I used to be.

I know try to manage my pain more naturally - light exercise, tens machine, hot/cold packs, baths etc. And adding supplements to my diet such as turmeric.
    I take paracetamol and Nurofen when I need something more and before walking,
    And finally take Tramadol for the worst, when I can't physically stand up or get to sleep due to the pain.

It's a painful condition but don't rely to much on the opiates and very strong painkillers for too long, it could be very detrimental. Don't mean to scare anyone either, just don't want people to fall into the same trap as I did!
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Am I right that the longer you take medication like pain killer/duellers, the more your body gets used to them and you'll never be pain free as such anyway?

My mum has the same joint problem as me (coalition) as its congenital, she also has arthritis like me as well. She's having to take more pain duellers then she did when she was my age as her body is so used to them after 30 years of taking them. I'm hoping I don't end up needing the same amount of medication as my mum at her age now.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    This is a question....not a statement :?
    When the doc put me on codeine years back I queried the addiction bit of it.....I was told that if you were in pain you wouldn't become addicted but if you just took them {for very little reason} you would become addicted :roll:
    Any comments.????
    Before my THR {I was on 15mg when needed} I took them once a day occasionally twice if I was really sore.
    After the THR, {4 weeks post op} I fractured a bone at the top of my hip . I was really sore then and the doc prescribed oromorph....could be taken every 4 hours. I decided no way.....but am taking it 3 times a day at the minute and trying to cut down.
    Sorry I've hi jacked your post but I wonder the same about the addiction bit of it
    Love
    Hileena
  • Settler
    HannahT yes I really think the acupuncture helps, it's my chiropractor that does it, she works mainly with me on my hands wrist and neck, in the neck all the muscles and nerves all connect up to the wrists, so if you get tense it can affect the pain, I think you need to get someone who is knowledgeable in the disease
    Sezeelson yes codeine is very addictive and I only use it and cocodamol on bad days, eg this week mon tue wed I had dyhdrocodiene , thurs fri sat cocodamol, I take diclafenac everyday, so hopefully today just diclafenac and some paracetamol , I can get weeks up to 6 weeks with just diclafenac , wish is brill, I had too look after my 2 year old grandson for 5 days when my daughter was sick, and that threw a spanner in my works
    Very aware of these drugs , that's why I was asking was there anything else out there
    Shirley
  • Settler
    Just been reading up on calcium , it suggest get it from food not tablet form , vit d is ok in tablet form, so yippee ice cream, lol
    Shirley
  • dreamdaisy
    The best way to get the Vit D is sunshine. I'm taking a chair out for a twenty minute sit because it's a lovely day here in Ipswich, warm and sunny! DD
  • HannahT
    Thanks for the reply Settler,

I am glad to see that acupuncture helped you. This kind of therapy is really up my street. I will query the therapist to make sure they are aware of my condition and how to best treat me.

I have been reading a lot on the long term effects of painkillers. It all seems quite depressing. I guess I will just have to just decided which is the lesser of two evils.

Now, if eating ice-cream out out on a sunny day was the cure to my ailments then I'd be one very happy woman! :)
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    I Know you didn't ask me :wink: but I get acupuncture on the NHS {but only for a certain length of time} anything is better than nothing.
    I found it helped my back 5 days out of the between each acupuncture
    I would be interested to know about private acupuncture as well

Love
    Hileena
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Is it known for calcium and Vit D tablets to help? I'm on calcium and Vit D tablets for my colieac disease but I don't take them every day as have enough medication but if its known to help, I'll properly take them 4 times a day like I am meant to. :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I don't think calcium and Vit D help with pain though a deficiency isn't good for any of us. I'm prescribed them for osteoporosis and take them twice daily as RA, steroids, chemotherapy, an early menopause etc etc have ensured I have that too. Check with your GP about them, sailrib. I'm all for the least possible medication but I regard these as just vitamins which aid a deficiency, not 'proper' meds.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    sailrib wrote:
    Am I right that the longer you take medication like pain killer/duellers, the more your body gets used to them and you'll never be pain free as such anyway?

My mum has the same joint problem as me (coalition) as its congenital, she also has arthritis like me as well. She's having to take more pain duellers then she did when she was my age as her body is so used to them after 30 years of taking them. I'm hoping I don't end up needing the same amount of medication as my mum at her age now.

Yes that is correct.
    Basically, your own body produces it own version of morphine providing you with relief from pain at varying degrees. When you take pain killers, especially opiates (codeine) this takes over and your body stops producing it's own pain management (which is much more effective)

Codeine is a great pain killers but only for short term use when you really need it. You should never rely on it!
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi
    This is a question....not a statement :?
    When the doc put me on codeine years back I queried the addiction bit of it.....I was told that if you were in pain you wouldn't become addicted but if you just took them {for very little reason} you would become addicted :roll:
    Any comments.????
    Before my THR {I was on 15mg when needed} I took them once a day occasionally twice if I was really sore.
    After the THR, {4 weeks post op} I fractured a bone at the top of my hip . I was really sore then and the doc prescribed oromorph....could be taken every 4 hours. I decided no way.....but am taking it 3 times a day at the minute and trying to cut down.
    Sorry I've hi jacked your post but I wonder the same about the addiction bit of it
    Love
    Hileena

I'm afraid your doctor is wrong. Codeine IS addictive regardless as to why you take it. I myself started taking it purely due to the arthritis pains. I soon became dependant on them, needing more and more to keep the pain at bay as your body can build a tolerance to them. Remember, codeine is an opiate, as is morphine & heroine. Not nearly as strong though. Tramadol and methadone are synthetic opoids.
    Settler wrote:
    HannahT yes I really think the acupuncture helps, it's my chiropractor that does it, she works mainly with me on my hands wrist and neck, in the neck all the muscles and nerves all connect up to the wrists, so if you get tense it can affect the pain, I think you need to get someone who is knowledgeable in the disease
    Sezeelson yes codeine is very addictive and I only use it and cocodamol on bad days, eg this week mon tue wed I had dyhdrocodiene , thurs fri sat cocodamol, I take diclafenac everyday, so hopefully today just diclafenac and some paracetamol , I can get weeks up to 6 weeks with just diclafenac , wish is brill, I had too look after my 2 year old grandson for 5 days when my daughter was sick, and that threw a spanner in my works
    Very aware of these drugs , that's why I was asking was there anything else out there

Yeah that's good, bear in mind cocodomal does contain codeine. As long as you are taking days off from using it you will be fine :) it's a great pain killer.
    Look into diets and supplements which promote natural pain management effects. Swimming, acupuncture, physio, massages, tens machines, relaxation, hot/cold packs etc. Etc. Try all these out and see which works for you the most, this should help you manage your pain better and need less drugs.
    Don't feel bad for taking the tablets though, arthritis is a very painful condition!
  • HannahT
    Hi Hileena,

Happy to keep you posted on how the private acupuncture sessions go. Good to know that a few session are offered on the NHS.

H
  • abby
    abby Member Posts: 3
    Hope some one can help ! I have been advised glucosamine.can help with o.arthritis and arthritis.i was wondering if anybody else has tried it.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Is it known for calcium and Vit D tablets to help?
    Low levels of VitD can cause muscle pain. I had a blood test done as a result of a diagnosis of severe lumbar osteoporosis and found my levels were bumping along just above deficiency level. Within a week or so of taking a supplement(only Vit D not calcium - had to argue with GP about that one!) I noticed that the awful muscle aches in my legs and arms had eased, which made it so much easier to deal with the arthritis pain! Now my levels are where they should be any muscle pain is generally self-inflicted.....
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello abby, yes, many of us have tried those supplements and other stuff too and, oddly enough, no-one's got better. :wink: I reckon they help those who are mildly affected by OA (they do exist) but for those of us who do it properly they are not much help. DD
  • Linnexuk
    Linnexuk Member Posts: 1
    Give L******* heat stick a try, it contains Capsaicin which is used to relieve pain and it lasts hours from a single application. Mind you it is hot......
  • Tricia55
    Tricia55 Member Posts: 4
    Hello, I am new here and am seriously interested in the co-codamol and acupuncture topic, sorry if I am butting in on a private conversation but I have been taking co-codamol for several years now and I know I am in a vicious cycle as I know if I don't have them I am in so much discomfort. I am also interested in acupuncture even although I am extremely needle phobic. Thank you for any help you can offer. Tricia.
    Tricia x :-)
  • silverbirch
    silverbirch Member Posts: 63
    Hello again I've not been able to post on here for ages I forgot my password , all sorted now gain so can I just ask a question please....why is it that my hospital ( Wrightington ) stopped my prescription for diclofenac when there are still plenty of people still on it, I am finding it very hard to find anything that works as good and suffering at the moment with wrist and knuckle pain...
  • dreamdaisy
    Apparently there is a risk of heart attacks when taking diclo so some GPs and hospitals have stopped prescribing it. I am still prescribed it but I keep my intake to the minimum simply because I don't like overdoing the meds.

Hello Tricia, no you're not butting in, it's a public forum so a public conversation. :) Over my seventeen years of living with arthritis I have learned that whatever we do or take gives only a temporary relief; pain is the ground elder of our lives, it cannot be killed for good. I keep my cocos to a minimum, preferring to live with the pain and using it as a feedback so I know when I'm overdoing things. DD