Nasty pop -up virus

bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 2. May 2014, 10:40 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've not been around for a couple of days because my poor lappy was hit with a pop -up virus that is piggy backing off chrome and has hit a lot of people and not just me! It's called 'bettersurf' and it hits nearly all the sites you visit with pop-ups, it slows your computer down and gets in to your computer c:/programme files so it's hard to remove. My OH is a wizz with computers and managed to get rid of it last night because I thought I had shifted it on Thursday and I hadn't. So keep your eyes open because it just hits you before you know it!

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Not just chrome ,my pc was hit as well ,it got in thru photobox when I was trying to post a picture.My son is a soft ware engineer and has taken it to sort it out. I am using the iPad at the moment. Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    This virus has effected many,,they do seem to be finding other ways to get through rather than emails... :x .. glad you have got it sorted... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    So far so good but I have pop-ups blocked - would that stop it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Mmmmmm....

no idea DD not being a techie sort of person, but I will keep an eye thanks Bubba for the warning :)
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    I have pop ups blocked too but I'll keep an extra eye out for anything that isn't quite right right, I did uninstall chrome the other day because it was just a nuisance.

Thanks Bubba
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,095
    Going just by what I have read by searching, this thing seems to get round just about all defences, pop-up & adblockers included, so it's pretty much a matter of checking your extensions & programs etc for anything untoward & taking the appropriate steps.

Funnily enough I have also just uninstalled chrome, wasn't using it much as have moved over to ff more or less, and was getting so many chrome script error messages it was a nuisance. Have imported my bookmarks over so I now have 3 sets from chrome, ie & ff - far, far too many of each. Such a hoarder. :oops:
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    A couple of hours ago, I got a pop-up saying Java needed to be updates. I've updated it before without any problem but this time, half way through, I noticed it said I was agreeing to some shopping helper so declined it. The thing seems to have installed anyway. I've put adblocker on (thought I already had it but apparently not). That has helped but, when I post in here, I'm getting a few words highlighted and if I hover over them, it pops up an advert. I managed to uninstall a few programmes it put on but I'll have to search a bit more tomorrow I think.
    Christine
  • HannahT
    HannahT Member Posts: 38
    I have been dealing with one too! I don't know how it got into my computer. It's called awesomehp. It is known as a 'browser hijacker' which means every time I start Chrome and open a new tab this browser pops up and not my default one!! With my limited computer expertise I have been trying to get rid of it, but no success. It seems to be quite a malicious adware. Beware.

Does anyone have any expertise on how to get rid of it. Tried to get my antivirus to clean but that didn't work.

Help
    H
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I have had problems with Java updates in the past Applerose. We seem to have a new toolbar now called Trovigo !!i now have to type google into the search and the google toolbar then comes up and I go from there.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bubbadog
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    So far so good but I have pop-ups blocked - would that stop it? DD

I had pop-ups blocked and it still got in! It gets on to your control panel and in to your c:/programme files. If you see adverts and at the bottom of the advert it says block and surf or Better Surf on your control panel you have it and need to see a Computer wizz!
  • bubbadog
    HannahT wrote:
    I have been dealing with one too! I don't know how it got into my computer. It's called awesomehp. It is known as a 'browser hijacker' which means every time I start Chrome and open a new tab this browser pops up and not my default one!! With my limited computer expertise I have been trying to get rid of it, but no success. It seems to be quite a malicious adware. Beware.

Does anyone have any expertise on how to get rid of it. Tried to get my antivirus to clean but that didn't work.

Help
    H

That's what happened to me, check the add's that come up on the highlighted words and it should say at the bottom Block and Surf or Bettersurf! I think it's got on to your computer. You really need to get it looked at because it will slow your computer down and infiltrate your computer.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    No, nothing like that yet but I will keep an eye open. I clear my browsing history after every site I visit, husband told me that was a good habit to get into and I have. I wish I could learn some other good habits. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • HannahT
    Thanks bubbadog,

Yes, it really has slowed my computer down considerably. I am afraid to log on to online banking just in case .....

What I have tried so far has not gotten rid of it. I have been trying to clean it again this morning.

I think I'll give up and take it to the shop and see what they can do.

I do back up regularly. Although I haven't this last week so I hope I don't lose all my precious pictures!

From now on DD I'll be clearing my browser history too!
  • toady
    HannahT, I have had a nose round the net about awesomehp and if you do feel like getting rid of it yourself I have sent you a couple of bits of info (not sure what sites I can link to here so thought I'd better do it that way).

I haven't had experience of this particular browser hijacker so haven't tried the removal method, but what I can say is that I trust the site I've linked you to and the tools they tell you to download (I know some techie people & I've got to know what you can definitely trust). It is a few stages to remove it but the instructions are step by step so it just depends how you feel about diy cleanups & whether you're happier getting it looked at.

The tricky thing with infections like these is they try sneaky things to stop you removing them.. like trying to fool you that the things you are doing to get rid of them are harmful themselves (awful, I know :roll: ) and that can be alarming in itself of course!

Will go and have a look at the trovigo toolbar. By the way I'm just looking into these things cos I'm interested as much as anything, so of course all feel free to ignore anything I come up with, just suggestions, I'm not an expert myself).
    You definitely don't want this nasty though so I'd take steps as others have said.
  • toady
    TK what browser are you using.. ? :)
  • HannahT
    Thank you toady. That was really helpful. I was feeling brave and thought I'd give it a go. I was able to complete each of the steps listed on the site except for one. Downloading the R***L . But the M***B did. I ran it, it did remove something just not what I wanted. Think will have to go to a professional after all. This malware has got me good!
  • toady
    Hope you get it sorted ok :) it does seem like one that puts up a bit of a fight so you will probably be happiest knowing it has definitely gone.
  • applerose
    That's what I had - block and surf. I managed to find a couple of other things that were added and I uninstalled them but that seemed to have uninstalled loads of programmes. I ended up with only 15 programmes. :shock: Then last night I suddenly thought - restore point. I restored to a few days ago and phew, everything is back to normal. No more adverts, pop-ups or unwanted pages opening.
    Christine
  • bubbadog
    I'm shocked to see how many of you have been hijacked by this horrible virus! I'll just say even though you have used a restore applerose it may still be hiding on your computer somewhere so keep your eyes peeled.
  • Yener
    Yener Member Posts: 1
  • applerose
    Thanks Bubbadog, I've been looking out for it. So far, so good.
    Christine
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    toady wrote:
    TK what browser are you using.. ? :)

Google chrome. Having 3 computers now changed over to a new, unwanted search engine I managed to find out how to remove them. Its not just uninstalling in the control panel that clears it but you have to go into the google menu and tick/untick certain boxes.

It gets onto your computer by piggybacking on 'free' downloads and suchlike. Mine might have come through Adobe shock player as all happened on the same date.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    My son who is a software engineer says it looks like it got into mine via photo bucket ,piggy backing in.He's taken it away to clear it up and I am using his old laptop. Mig