Recently been told I have arthritis in my ankle :(

sunbeam
sunbeam Member Posts: 8
HI This is my first post :) I have been suffering with ankle pain for months I am over weight doctors first said my ankle was sprained, but after months of pain the did x-ray then said I had a Fracture in my ankle. This week had to go to the fracture clinic where I was told its not fractured but have arthritis and is referring me to another doctor. :( I am in so much pain I can not stand or walk on this ankle I have been taking tramadol but its not working well. I have inflamed stomach so can not take inflammatory drugs :(. I have been signed off sick for another 2 weeks, my job means on my feet over 8 hrs a day and a lot of heavy lifting. Really feeling I can not work in my job anymore and feel that I might get sacked only worked for 8mths in this job. The pain makes it impossible to stand or walk on it, even when sitting it hurts so fed up that I find myself crying a lot due to pain and frustration. I count my blessings that I only have it in my ankle. What can I do if I can not work how do I pay my bills? please advice re how I can relieve the pain, and work probs. Thank you for reading this long moan:( x

Thank you from Jackie

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jackie

I am a member of the forum. You have my full sympathy. I did something to the back of my foot on 4 March whilst exercising. :roll: I felt quite alone with this is no one else I see is hobbling around!
    I have had three different diagnosis and basically "dismissed". I paid out for physio as one gp suggested this but will not be going again, pleasant as she was, came away none the wiser and without any extra helpful advice.
    I am not overweight and the pain is excruciating most of the time. I cannot walk outside really although did venture to the post box today and although only a few minutes away was more than enough. I too am at my wits end. I have not taken anything as strong as tramadol but nothing has helped really except a while after my anti inflams have had a chance to get into my system but I only take them once a day and have done for years to help with OA. One gp said I had an OA flare in my foot. That is one place I have not suffered with OA until his diagnosis.

Sound like both you and I have had the same diagnosis given to us. :wink: I was told it could take up to 6 weeks to subside. Well it is soon one month and nothing has changed except where the pain has moved to and there is now a slight swelling in that area.

I am icing and elevating the foot, wearing a heel cup but that is not helping really as the pain is not under my heel anymore, it was to begin with. Oh and wearing trainers when trying to walk outside.

If you find anything that helps, please let me know.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • sunbeam
    Hi Elan
    Thanks for your reply. I have been wearing good supportive shoes but I think I might try a walking boot. It is frustrating because I just don't know what to do or what I can do about working. I need to bring in a wage and I have been working in pain for months, just cant cope anymore I am so tired. :( I don't know how people cope with arthritis when they have it lots of joints. If anyone knows where I can buy footwear that will help can you please message me.:)

Thank you :)
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Dear Jackie

Thank you for your posting on the forum. I am sorry that you have been in so much pain and that you are worried about your job and about your finances. We understand how difficult it can be when you have been diagnosed with arthritis and you are trying to manage this condition and work as well. You have asked about managing the pain and about how you will manage financially if you cannot do your current job.
    Firstly, information about managing pain can be found in our booklet ‘Coping with pain’. This can be found on the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets

Our other publications about managing arthritis can be found on this link as well.

When it comes to working with arthritis you do have rights at work. Our booklet ‘Working with arthritis’ has information that tells you about those rights and where to get more support, you can access this booklet on the above link.
    It may also help to find out what benefits you may be able to apply for. For this you can contact your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau, another organisation that might help is Turn2Us you can access their website on the link http://www.turn2us.org.uk/ and their helpline number is 0808 802 2000.
    If you would like to talk things through about your arthritis you are very welcome to call us here on the Freephone confidential helpline on 0808 800 4050 (10am-4pm weekdays). We have many options where you can learn more about self-managing arthritis.

We recognise that talking things over can be a big first step in getting some control over living with arthritis. So do get back in touch if you’d like to.

Finally here’s another bit of information about foot wear: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/shop/products/publications/patient-information/conditions/feet-footwear-and-arthritis.aspx

I hope this information is helpful.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • sunbeam
    Thank you Dawn for all your help starting to feel better less frustrated going to speak to my doctor today and discuss more ways to manage the pain. :)

Since joining the group a few days ago I am not feeling so alone Thank you
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello sunbeam (what a lovely cheerful user name!) I read your post with interest because I know all too well about painful ankles - I have osteo-arthritis in both (and other useful joints too) thanks to joint damage caused by my other arthritis. It is utterly and thoroughly miserable. :( Your job sounds very demanding and I don't know what to suggest about that but I hope you will post again on the Living with Arthritis board on here, that's where most people hang out and I am sure people will reply. There is also the Benefits and Working Matters board on here which may also be of interest. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Francie7532
    Francie7532 Member Posts: 40
    So sorry about your predicament. Is there any disability (short or long) that you could apply for? Can you talk to your employers about sitting at your job? or changing jobs within the same company? Does your government have any services for you?