11 Week Update

Sarah01
Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
edited 1. Apr 2014, 13:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning everyone,

I hope you are all well :)

I saw my surgeon last night for my recovery assessment. I'll start with the positive news, the surgeon was very pleased with how well the THR is doing and he was glad to see me down to one crutch. He also said I was looking so much better then I was when I saw him 3 weeks earlier. He wasn't concerned about the raised plasma viscosity in my blood test as that is normal in anyone who has had a joint replacement and it can be raised for up to 6 months.

He was very concerned about the swelling in the knee. He saw me walk without a crutch and noticed that the knee was bowing to one side. There is a lot of fluid in my knee and I was in a lot of pain when he did certain movements. Apart from the early onset of OA he is pretty sure that I have torn some cartilage in the knee. He's arranged for an urgent MRI scan and I am not to attempt to walk unaided. I have to keep using the one crutch until I see him again after the scan. I can still do certain exercises but no twisting of the knee.

I'm off into town with a friend today to get a neoprene knee support which I have to wear everyday until I see him again. If there is some damage to the knee I will have to wear a proper knee brace for 6-8 weeks. But on a positive side, he did say that once I get the knee brace I will be able to drive and come off the crutch as the brace will support the knee fully. Fingers crossed that I will be back at work in 5 weeks time, albeit I will have to cut my hours a little until I am fully fit but anything is better then being stuck at home. Although I have to have the scan done etc, I am feeling so much more positive with my recovery. Everything is going well with the THR and I just need to get the knee sorted :)

I also asked the surgeon about the Femoralacetabular impingement and knowing that it was hereditary what chances my son had of having the same impingement. I never knew about the FAI until it was too late and it only came to light once the damage had been done and I was diagnosed with OA in both hips. He said that it is more common in female family members then it is males. He said to get my son xrayed when he turns 18 next year and that will show if there is any impingement. If there is, he will be able to have the arthroscopy done to remove the extra bone spurs and lead an active life, I'm hoping for there to be no FAI but if there is, we know that something can be done about it :D

Sarah x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Well, overall that sounds like a pretty positive appointment. It's nice to learn that you are looking better in yourself (even if you're not feeling it :wink: ) and hopefully that knee can be sorted. I feel I should probably know this but I don't :oops: - is the affected knee on the same side as the new hip? And is this a trouble since the operation? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sarah01
    Hi DD,

It's the right knee, the same side as the THR. It all started 3 weeks post op. Woke up one morning with swelling to the hip and knee. First he said it was a twisted knee and now it could be a torn cartilage. MRI will confirm what it is.

Sarah x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    A torn cartilage aint good but it does sound as if all will be well, albeit after a longer recuperation than you'd have hoped for. That's good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    Just read your post. I wonder if this happened during the THR as I have a problem with my knee turning inwards and I am 4 weeks post op. I had a lot of swelling post op right down to the ankle, which has mostly gone down over the last couple of days but my right knee hurts on the right hand side when I press it and seems to be turning inwards. I am seeing physio tomorrow so will ask her about it. She mentioned last time that my right foot was turning inwards but I said I thought that was because of the swelling.
  • Sarah01
    edited 1. Apr 2014, 05:30
    Hi Krisbe,

Mine started 3 weeks post op. I also had swelling in the ankles and feet but that was normal according to the surgeon. The ankles and feet went back to normal after 7 weeks post op. He thought at first that I might have twisted my knee when I was sleeping on my back. But now that I am 11 weeks post op and still in pain with the knee, he now thinks I might have torn the cartilage due to using the crutches.

When I started physio 2 weeks ago, they were concerned about the swelling and were very wary about what I could and couldn't do exercise wise. I have a neoprene knee brace which I bought from Boots which is helping a little. I still get the pain but not as much. I have to use the crutch until I have had the results of the MRI scan. Might be worth you also having a word with your surgeon at your 6 weeks check up.

Apart from the knee how are you getting on with your recovery?

Sarah x
  • Sarah01
    Hi SW,

It is good apart from the knee, he didn't even want to discuss the hip at the appointment as he is more then happy with the replacement and my progress. Think he's sick of seeing me though and I bet he will be glad to see the back of me, well until he does the arthroscopy at some point :wink:

Sarah x
  • krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    Thanks Sarah. I think I am doing ok, and felt week 2-3 I progressed well and can walk half a mile and back with 2 crutches, also can walk indoors with only one. However, I cant walk very far outside with one crutch as dont feel safe and get pain in my thigh particularly at the top. The thigh is still a bit swollen and under the scar it feels tender and I cant sleep on the side. I can get on the bed now with hardly any pain whereas before it was quite bad, so all in all I think I am progressing. Beginning to get a bit bored now as although we have any array of local shops and banks within 5 minutes walk I would like to go further afield but without transport it is impossible.
  • Sarah01
    Hi Krisbe,

Apart from the knee it sounds like you are doing great :)

I was the same, couldn't walk outside without 2 crutches, it was a mixture of the pain and also worried about falling and doing something to the hip (silly I know) :oops:

I had a lot of soreness around the incision area and I couldn't sleep on my side. I've only been able to sleep on my side the past 12 days. I know how you feel re boredom. I'm chomping at the bit to start driving again but they won't let me until they sort out my knee. It's costing me a small fortune in taxi and bus fares, shame the boys can't drive :wink:

I've put a reply on your post.

Sarah x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Sarah
    That is the third knee prob after a THR I have read about today or was one of them you giving advice to someone :? ...anyhow that si mostly a good appointment and I am so glad he thinks the knee will be fine after the brace..and nearly back to driving that will make such a difference to you..keep us updated..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sarah01
    Hi Barbara,

How are you today?

I thought it was just me until I read other posts and spoke to a gentleman at the THR rehab class that I attend. He is 6 weeks post op and is having problems with his knee too.

I'm keeping fingers crossed that it is a torn cartilage as the surgeon knows exactly what needs to be done and I can get the brace fitted and start driving again. I will keep you updated on my progress :)

Sarah x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I'm plodding on Sarah...just waiting to see a rheumy on the 1st May..after 4 years my GP thinks there might be something else other than OA :? ..I hope you get some relief from that knee..good luck with the brace..xx
    Love
    Barbara