Knee problem after hip replacement

Options
krisbe
krisbe Member Posts: 95
edited 14. May 2014, 15:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks

I am just about 4 weeks post op now. Most of the swelling has gone down now but I have noticed that my knee appears to be turning inwards. It doesnt look like it did before and I thought this was due to the swelling. Has anyone else had this? Do you think they have damaged my knee when performing the THR?

Comments

• knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Krisbe

Yes, it's happened to my knee (although my husband says I've always had odd knees). I had a THR in 2010 and saw my surgeon at the beginning of March for a 3 year check up. He said I had a "valgus deformity of 5/10% and a collapsed medial arch" (caused by the way I have walked since my op) so he has referred me to the Surgical Applicance Department at the local hospital for shoe inserts. However, I shouldn't worry too much at the moment Krisbe because it is early days in your recovery. You will obviously be having physio sessions and check up appointments, so mention your knee then. Good luck and best wishes for a brilliant recovery and outcome.

Janet
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It could well be related to the hip-op (Sarah01 is having all sorts of trouble after her THR with a swollen knee). From what I have read I gather they swing your operated THR leg in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways to ensure that all is as it should be so hopefully they haven't damaged anything. Was your THR due to OA? Perhaps that has crept into the knee as a result of poor walking. I haven't had a replacement of any sort as yet but both my knees turn in thanks to the joint damage caused by my PsA and OA - my orthotics make them face-the-front. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • krisbe
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    It could well be related to the hip-op (Sarah01 is having all sorts of trouble after her THR with a swollen knee). From what I have read I gather they swing your operated THR leg in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways to ensure that all is as it should be so hopefully they haven't damaged anything. Was your THR due to OA? Perhaps that has crept into the knee as a result of poor walking. I haven't had a replacement of any sort as yet but both my knees turn in thanks to the joint damage caused by my PsA and OA - my orthotics make them face-the-front. DD

Yes I had oa of the hip/s and have a degree in the knee as well although I have never had it xrayed my doctor said years ago he could feel it under the knee. My knee was alright before the op but since then my foot has also been turning in and the physio told me to try and keep it straight. I said it was due to the swelling, but my knee hurts when I press it on the outside edge so I am thinking it has been wrenched a bit; hopefully when the swelling goes completely it will be ok. Thanks
  • Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    Options
    Hi Krisbe

Just got back from seeing the nurse and she said I was walking so much better with the knee brace. She couldn't believe the change since I saw her last Thursday.

Have you thought of using a knee brace. Boots own brand are good, especially the firm one which is what I have. I'm no doctor or physio but you could ask them if it will help. I also find elevating and an ice pack helpful too.

Sarah x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Krisbe
    Im so glad to see you have got some answers on here..I have had a THR and didn't have probs with my knee it must be so scary for you..I hope you can get some help with it soon..
    Love
    Barbara
  • krisbe
    Options
    Sarah01 wrote:
    Hi Krisbe

Just got back from seeing the nurse and she said I was walking so much better with the knee brace. She couldn't believe the change since I saw her last Thursday.

Have you thought of using a knee brace. Boots own brand are good, especially the firm one which is what I have. I'm no doctor or physio but you could ask them if it will help. I also find elevating and an ice pack helpful too.

Sarah x

What is a knee brace - what is is made of please? Couldnt see it by googling it.
  • Sarah01
    Options
    Hi Krisbe,

It helps to support the knee.

I've put a link to the Boots one, can you let me know you can view it ok

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=1311231

Sarah x
  • krisbe
    Options
    Thanks Sarah, yes I can view it. Saw the physio yesterday and she said my knee will come back to shape when my gluts get stronger, she said they are a bit weak at the moment and I need to push them a bit further without going too far. She had me walking the length of the room without crutches and back again and told me to practice at home. She also said I can practice going upstairs and downstairs using alternate stairs. Got some more exercises too, cant fit them all in as it is!
  • barbara12
    Options
    Its good to hear that the knee will right itself, I treated the stars has mu gym, I did moan at first having to go up them but turned it to my advantage... :D trouble is with this other hip I am moaning again about them... :) ..wishing you well..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sarah01
    Options
    Hi Krisbe,

That's great news about your knee. They do give you a lot of exercises and I find it hard to do all of them without over doing it.

I'm at physio this afternoon so it will be interesting to see what they say about the knee brace and the suspected torn cartilage. I want to start going to a local gym as the surgeon won't let me do certain exercises at home, so I need to see if I can do this whilst I wait for the MRI scan which is in 2 weeks time. I'm also going to get their opinion about driving whilst wearing the brace. I don't intend to do long journeys, just to the local shops and the gym.

How are you getting on with your THR recovery?

Sarah x
  • krisbe
    Options
    Physio said 2 weeks ago I could go swimming if I wanted but the problem would be getting into pool. Has anyone tried it. The pool I go to has those straight metal ladders at the side of the pool. I think I would be more worried getting out and getting showered and changed afterwards. Would have to go with someone I think. Also you wd you have to take your crutches with you to the side of the pool? I normally go to health club but would have to go when it is quiet so I could get disabled shower.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Swimming pools are dangerous things. Stupid ladders, slippery floors, other people living in their own little worlds as they plough up and down showing off, swimming pools scare me.

Close to us is a private pool (private in that it belongs to a house) that once can hire by the hour. Yes, it has a ladder but it also has a shallow-stepped entry - could there be anything like that in your neck of the woods? DD
  • krisbe
    Options
    thank you dreamdaisy I have found a private pools a little way away and I wont be able to go until I can drive as no bus goes there without walking too far to the bus stop. The guy who owns it used to be my manager about 20 years ago. A physio runs a class there on a monday and said I could go along as she only has 2 people at the moment.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That sounds promising, I hope you will be able to go there soon. Let us know how you get on, please, and take care. DD
  • krisbe
    Options
    I am gradually progressing, still have problem with knee swelling and have to go back to work in 2 weeks. Tried walking without a stick and went about half a mile yesterday. I am really suffering from stiffness though and I think its worse than it was before the op, especially when I get out of car and get up from my chair. I still cant sit on the sofa, too low and too difficult to get out of. Also getting a lot of pain from other hip now which is also arthritic. Has anyone else had this stiffness as I'm beginning to wonder if it is going to go away. I am still sleeping on my back as instructed by the surgeon last week, and thats not helping. Went swimming, but could only do 6 lengths before I tired.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    For those of us with RA replacement joints are a bit different but, even so, 6 lengths of the pool sounds pretty good to me. I'm sorry, I can't remember how far post-op you are, krisbe. A low sofa, especially if soft, is never going to be a good option for a THR. As for the other hip, well, if you have arthritis there too it might just be getting worse but might also be having to do extra work if you're still not comfortable with the new one.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • krisbe
    Options
    9.5 weeks post op. I am increasing the things I am doing at home as well as people keep telling me I should be ok by now. I do have arthritis in the other hip but dont want it done yet, but I think I probably will have to in a year. I am getting problem with my back as well which is very stiff due to sleeping on it. I dont want to be walking with a stick at work as I wasn't before.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It's an unfortunate fact of life that replacing one arthritic joint can set others off worse than they were previously. Maybe it's because more is demanded of them, especially just after the op.

As for the back kicking in because you're still sleeping on it, did the surgeon give a reason for your continuing to sleep this way? It's usually only for six weeks. (Please don't change anything, though, if he has advised you to do so.)
    Steven Wright
  • krisbe
    Options
    Yes Sticky it's because I have tried to lie on my side but it it is still painful on the scar and underneath it (the muscle). He said it is still healing.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Poor you! I've always hated the back thing. I get onto my side asap but with a pillow between my legs so's I can't accidentally cross them.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    If your sofa seat is too low then supplement it with either a booster cushion or put leg risers (if suitable) under the legs. For what it's worth I reckon you are doing OK but can understand your frustration with the apparent slowness of recovery - when you are in the middle of it, it can be hard to realise one's progress. Healing takes time (sometimes a great deal of time, major surgery is not like a graze) and it is difficult to ignore those who haven't recently had similar surgery telling you that they resumed marathon running and tap dancing a mere fortnight after their op. :wink:

Speaking as someone who would love to walk with just one stick I would say use it whilst you are still healing: it will take the strain off the new joint and, possibly, the other hip (which will be working harder to compensate for the new one settling in) and it won't be needed for ever. Hang on in there, Krisbe, you are doing OK, if not better than OK. I wish you well. DD
  • barbara12
    Options
    I am using crutches after 10 month post THR only because of my back , and the other hip..but like the others have said having one hip replaced seems to send the other in overdrive..it makes sense really..must say I have all kinds of pains since I had it done but they seem to right themselves...hopefully yours will ....good luck x
    Love
    Barbara
  • krisbe
    Options
    Went to physio today, She said I'm walking much better than last time and to try to avoid limping with bigger strides. Gave me some more exercises to ease muscle in top of leg which is hard and some stretches to do. Told me I can ease up on exercises now and only do them twice a day instead of 4 (hooray!). She said not to take stick if I am only going out for a quick 15 minute walk, but if longer, take it in case I need it. I'm feeling more confident now and hope I am ready to go back to work soon. She reassured me any swelling I have is only because muscles aren't healed yet and it will go down. :)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That sounds like a very positive appt. Thanks for letting us know. Onwards and upwards :D
    Steven Wright