Applerose's travels.

applerose
applerose Member Posts: 3,621
edited 1. Apr 2014, 17:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
Thought I'd tell you about this in here rather than the cafe as I might end up writing a book. :lol:

I had to get up about 2 hours earlier than usual to catch my train on Friday. Arrived at the station, which is a 10 minute walk from my house, in plenty of time. Normally the train takes 3 hours goes straight in to Manchester airport but I knew they were working on the line and I had to change at Piccadily for the last half hour.

About 2 hours in to the journey, there was an announcement to say part of the track had broken so they had to divert the train so we would be about an hour late. That meant I would be pushing it to catch my flight. When the train was 20 minutes late, there was another announcement saying that they had decided to go to Victoria and I could get a metro train from there to the airport.

When I got off at Victoria, there was a big sign saying the metro was closed. I asked a couple of workmen if they knew how I could get to the airport and they told me there was a free shuttle outside. There wasn't so I had to go back in to the station to the information room where I had to wait while the only person there chatted on the phone. He finally gave me directions to a bus stop outside where a but would take me to another station.

I got on the bus and after 10 minutes decided to ask the driver to tell me when I got there. he asked where I was going and, when I told him, he said I'd be better getting a different bus to Piccadily. Anyway, I stayed on the bus to Oxford Road station. (I was beginning to wonder if I was, in fact, in London.) I checked the screens and found there was a train to the airport due in 10 minutes so managed to catch that. There was a woman sat opposite me and I asked if she knew how long the train would take. She said half an hour but my gate was due to close in 20 minutes. Fingers crossed it was delayed. The train did take half an hour.

When I got off, I somehow managed to run from one end of the airport to the other dragging my suitcase behind me. I was almost dropping by the time I got to security and was shaking like a leaf. Put my suitcase on the belt, took my belt off and put that, my laptop and my handbag in another tray then went through the x-ray thingy. It beeped and I was pulled over to be very well searched. By then I was just about in tears. The security guard told me to sit down and take a few deep breaths as I took my shoes off. I must have seemed rather guilty. She took my shoes away to be x-rayed. I told her that my flight was due to take off so she told me that they wouldn't let me through security if the gate was closed so I did calm down ever so slightly. I got my shoes back and turned round to find they had kept my handbag to one side. When I asked for it, another security guard said, "There's something in here which shouldn't be, isn't there?" I'd forgotten in all the rush that there was a chocolate mousse in my bag. "And that's not all, is it?" he said and pulled out my bottle of water. "Just throw them away. Anything that shouldn't be in there, just throw it away", I almost shouted at him and explained why they were still in there. "Ok. I think we will need to." And he took my bad away to be x-rayed again.

When I eventually got everything back, I just stuffed the bits and pieces in a carrier bag I had in my pocket and sort-of-ran all the way to the gate with a few minutes to spare before boarding. Just as well they now allow an extra small bag or I'd have been trying and failing to get everything in my case.
Christine

Comments

• applerose
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Once I left Dublin airport, I had an hour and a half's coach journey to get to my daughter's. She had been phoning her house phone for a couple of hours expecting me to be there and getting worried.

Both my GC were excited to see me just as I was to see them. We had a great time. I took my GS to the toy shop the next day and we met my daughter for lunch. The next morning, my daughter's car wouldn't start so she ended up taking the day off and going in to town to see the ducks and have lunch. She put my GD in creche as she is very clingy for mum and I wasn't sure if I could handle 2 toddlers tatrumming at once (if they did). The next day, my daughter had to get to work and get the car fixed so I had the 2 babies all day. It was fantastic playing with them. My daughter ended up paying a fortune to get the car fixed but, just in case, she taxed and insured the other car which they were about to sell so it was an expensive time for her. The day before yesterday, I got cards off them, a mug, a pair of jammies, a dressing gown and 2 boxes of chocolates and my daughter took me out for tea, all for Mother's Day. :D

Thankfully, the journey back was totally uneventful. I managed to catch all my connections within about 10 minutes.
    Christine
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Oh lordy what a trial for you. :o I have to say my blood pressure was going up while I was reading that! I'm glad it all turned out nicely for you and you had a good time :)
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh Christine I really did feel for you reading that, you poor things has though its not hard enough traveling with out cancellation and being searched ...bless I am out of breath reading it..
    The Metro we have come unstuck with a few times..
    But the security at the airport I know they have a job to do..but my god they put you through it bless...
    Now I am so glad to read you had a good time and I would love to have sen your GCs faces..no wounder you came home tired...but happy.. :D and what a lovely presents for Mothers day... :D xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,095
    :o There was me expecting a nice restful travelogue I could 'virtually' follow in my mind's eye.. scenic journeys and hopping on & off lovely trains.. I don't know how you made that final leg! In my imagination, I'm a laid-back unruffled traveller, but in reality not so much (and of course the arthritis more or less scotches your margin for not minding the unexpected detour/wait/walk.)

Thanks for sharing the experience & all its twists :) how typical that the return journey should flow like a charm. So glad you didn't miss your original flight. Expect you have been in contact with everyone today - were the chocolates you were given the same ones you starting having one too many of the minute you got home?! :lol:
  • applerose
    Thanks everyone. Woke up this morning still feeling shattered but had to get up as my son and his wife were taking me to lunch. More chocolates and a beautiful 3 picture photo frame with each of my GC on it. Lunch was lovely but just sat the rest of the afternoon and dreading work tomorrow. At least there will be a huge pile of ironing to do so I can hide away in the utility room. :lol:

Sorry for pushing your blood pressure up Numpty and getting you out of breath Barbara. Toady, I used to be calm when travelling and taking what problems there were in my stride but maybe it's that I'm getting older and maybe it's the RA (probably both) but I can't do it now. Next time, I think I'll set off even earlier. :shock: I shared most of the chocolates I got with my daughter but brought a full box and a few out of the open box so I had to tidy things up and eat the loose ones. :lol:
    Christine
  • barbara12
    Christine how lovely of your son and Dil...I will share a secret with you I half expected to get a pic of the baby and her sister in a frame...I did hint. :lol: .I have pic of my two eldest GD and feel guilty ...so I will have to get a pic of them both and frame it..
    Such a shame they spoiled your holiday....yes work...you get a seat in the utility room and stay there... :D xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    what an absolute nightmare journey Applerose. Once it starts to go wrong you can be sure it'll never right itself as one delay causes another!

I never knew Chocolate mousse was so dangerous :o but there you go, at least they allowed you to catch the plane in the end.

Glad you ad a lovely time in the end and got home safely.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Crikey. You poor thing, what a saga and a nightmare to get through. I hate travelling in the 'hands' of other people, if I can't take myself then I don't want to know. I think it's the effect of the arthritis, I have far less patience with some things than I used and more patience with things that used to make me cross! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    Hope they go easy on you at work today...will take some getting over that will...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • applerose
    Thank you everyone. I think I am starting to recover shockwise now. I left work half an hour early yesterday as I'd had enough. Today when I'd finished, I was in agony and limped and hobbled home instead of going in to town to get my GD's 1st birthday present. never mind, she won't realise if she gets it late.
    Christine