atos assessment for esa

brandy192
brandy192 Member Posts: 73
I applied for esa last August after being dismissed from my job on incapability grounds. I have just received my appointment to get assessed to be put into either work or support group. In November I was assessed by atos for my pip claim who came to the conclusion that I could walk 20 metres but no more than 50 metres which gave me standard rate pip for mobility. I have severe OA in both knees and COPD. My assessment will be done in a building which is in a pedestrian precinct in the middle of a city so the recommended journey that ATOS has suggested says walk for 16 mins to my local train station catch a train to the city station then once I have left the station take another 6 minute walk to the assessment building. I find myself wondering if they are on the same planet as me and I am making myself ill worrying about this assessment. I manage to hobble round the house but walking any distance kills me even though I use a stick or crutches. Has anyone had this happen to them I feel like screaming/

Comments

• aralph
    aralph Member Posts: 11
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I had very similar,ATOS were totally unsympathetic,after going throuh it I can ony suggest you stata things as 'worse senario' - dont even hint you can cope.
    Dont worry about it,its just something else!
    on a similar matter you say you had the PIP assesment (I'm DLA) - whats it like?
    Al
  • brandy192
    Hi Al thanks for your reply I rang ATOS yesterday to ask if I could have the meeting at another venue and was just given a list of other places even more difficult to get to. I found them very unsympathetic. I read on another website that you should tell them you cannot do any of the tasks they ask you to do so may go down that route. With regards to my PIP assessment my advice to you is remember they will be assessing you from before you enter the building. I had stated that I could not stand for very long and also could not walk for more than 20 metres. When I arrived at the ATOS office I went to the reception desk and stood there whilst they got me an expenses form and then I was told to go to the waiting area. There was 3 types of chair in there so choose wisely, then I was shown to the office. This route must be measured out because when I got my entitlement letter it said I had been awarded standard rate PIP because it was noted I could stand and I walked more than 20 but no more than 50 metres to the meeting room. The man who assessed me was very pleasant and made me feel at ease but they are obviously very cunning so be aware of every movement you make or answer you give. Best of luck when you get your assessment. Sue
  • aralph
    Hi,ta for that bear in mind ATOS have been heavily critisised so if you dont get the outcome you deserve then apeal! alot of apeals suceed
    Al
  • brandy192
    Hi I dont disagree that people should be assessed but I think we are all classed as potential benefit cheats. This is very offensive to me because I have worked hard all my life until last year when I had to admit that my illness has beaten me. Not working until I was 65 didnt come into my life plan. I know I will be put in the able to work group but I feel very frustrated at the fact that they have no understanding of our feelings and the pain we go through on a daily basis. I will certainly appeal if im not happy though, thanks
  • aralph
    Hi,I am classed as 'fit to work' - what I can do I dont know.
    I agree that being classed as a cheat rubs me up the wrong way but what made me feel better was a thing my mate said ' you worked for it all youre life,so youpaid for it' - and it's true,so dont fret.
    Al
  • brandy192
    I have worked for a long time in retail and was at management level when I finished it was always quite physical work and so would have to be retrained in a different job. Im 54 and not only would I have to do something I could manage it would have to be in an accessable place as well. I struggle to do basic housework and shopping so I think it would be a waste of time even re training. I dont know if I am stressing too much about this assessment but everything is a struggle and very tiring. At least you know what I am talking about able bodied people could not even imagine the daily stress we go through I know I never did before I got OA.
  • aralph
    Hi,youre not alone - my job was very hands on (engineering),now I really have to pace myself - even getting up/dressed takes an hour.
    Dont fret about the assesment,its not worth getting iller (if thats a word),whats the worst that can happen - sign on every other week like me
    Al