Technical issues and an apology

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 7. Apr 2014, 09:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
... Am so sorry. Yet again I disappeared. Feel extremely guilty. Had loads of things going on.

Not least surgery to what used to be my 'good' left knee in January. That's now been declared as knackered too! I need a replacement in that knee which will be a complete TKR rather than a partial which is what was done on my right knee (appalling grammar there - sorry!). I used to be able to kneel on my left knee - that's gone out of the window now as I certainly can't kneel on my right one.

Am now being challenged by technology at home. Found out my broadband should have been 2mb (or whatever the term is) and I only had 1.6 doo-dahs. Laptop itself was also very slow.

Very clever local chap by the name of Sid - lovely bloke - came and visited. He did magical things with my laptop - says I need more RAM (aren't they male sheep??), and is getting some for me. Heaven help the lawn ...

Anyway, Sid tinkered with my laptop and started getting all techie with me asking if I used this and that. Didn't even know most of it was on there to be honest! Anyway, laptop now quicker and will be quicker even still when my fibre optic (think that's right) is installed 11th April. I then get 38mb (doo-dah's) speed.

My partner and I also just treated ourselves to a 'tablet' device from a supermarket which I know I can't name. Duly charged it up, switched it on. Hey - it worked - yippee! Then, of course, the snag came (as per usual). My current broadband is obviously not enough for the tablet to get started with so I've got to wait. A Taurean waiting... I suspect when my fibre optic service is here everything will work swimmingly.

Next will be upgrading my mobile. I'll let you know when I'm going to do this so you can all send positive vibes to the rep in the shop - s/he'll need all the help s/he can get dealing with me poor soul. When I changed my phone nearly 2 years ago, the salesman made the mistake of saying I was to pop back in if I had any questions. That was the Saturday. I went back on the Sunday, back on the Bank Holiday Monday and then again after that. He very nearly got onto my Christmas Card list that year, bless him.

I will try to do better in the future and aim to more regularly post. I have been looking in but just not posting.

Take care,
GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Grace, Don't talk to me at technical problems with laptops!! I've been having a few with mine, mostly bugs and viruses piggy backing on to my poor laptop. Luckily I have a computer wizz for a husband who has to clean my mess up for me quite a bit lately! I do admit I like fibre optic broadband because you can go from site to site quickly. I know the feeling of having two knackered knee's, not being able to kneel or bend your knee's is a real pain!! Hope to see you speeding around AC soon!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I haven't knelt since 1997 - I get others to do it for me. :wink: We're on fibre-optic broadband courtesy of the toothsome Richard B and it's brilliant; since moving our telly reception has been dreadful (our new house is surrounded by very tall trees) so I am considering upgrading our package to include telly - but resent the cost.

It's nice to see you back and I hope you will be able to post more often. Take care and speak soon! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello Grace. Lovely to see you back and no apology needed.

As for kneeling, it's vastly overrated :lol: I tried it briefly after my first TKRs 33 years ago, decided it was a bad idea and have successfully avoided it ever since :P
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks.Its good to be back.
    Take care
    GraceB
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 276
    Options
    Hi Grace
    the tablet should link up to your broadband via wifi no matter what the speed is. the slow bit will be opening pages on websites depending on your download speed.

you could run this small on line test which will give you your exact speeds up and down and also your ping (not pong)

just click begin test http://www.speedtest.net/
    and then post the 3 results.

also are you with BT by any chance.
  • GraceB
    Options
    Hi Mr DJ,
    thanks for your thoughts. The tablet does link up to the broadband and its relatively ok. It's the laptop that was the issue before Sid came and tinkered with it. Sid ran a couple of speed tests which confirmed the 1.6 speed. Within the week, I saw my provider in my local High Street so I went and had a word with them. They were like rabbits caught in the headlights of a car poor things by the time I'd finished asking why I wasn't getting what I was paying for!
    I get my fibre broadband on 11th April so all will get better from there I think. No I'm not with BT - I can't give the name of my provider on here due to forum rules.
    Still very new to the tablet but am slowly getting used to it. Being a professionally trained touch typist though, the keyboard on the screen is very tiny.
    GraceB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Grace its lovely to have you back with us, and I am a Taurean... :o:lol: glad to see you braodband is getting there...but you poor knee...do you wish you had gone for a full knee from the start or did you have no choice..I do hope you can get the op soon..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    Options
    Barbara,
    this last op was only ever intended to be a 'let's have a look and see what's going on' type of thing. I've been told that I can ask for the op when I feel the time is right but naturally they want me to wait as long as possible as I am what they term as 'young'. Just a shame my bones and joints are older than the rest of me. I reckon my bones and joints are about 88; the rest of me is 48.
    Still, you have to laugh and smile, don't you?
    Take care
    GraceB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Grace I am sorry..my hubby had a camera put in his knee sorry forgot what it is called.. :? and he was cared they would do more than they said... :o hope you get some relief ..and good luck with the phone...I had to ring the TT helpline about mine...the young man at the other end must have been pulling his hair out..he ended up saying I tell you Madame there is a button there... :shock: :oops: :lol: mind you it was one of these button that is invisible till you pressed .. :)
    Love
    Barbara