Options
keith58
keith58 Member Posts: 5
edited 10. Apr 2014, 12:17 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all

My names Keith I am 56 yrs old and my doctor has just told me I have osteo in my knee's and wrist's He has also advised me to give up my current occupation

Bit shocked at the moment

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh boy, I'm not surprised that you're feeling shocked - I was floored in April 2011 when I was told about my osteoarthritis because I already had another kind and blithely thought that would be it. :(

I have OA in both ankles, both knees, my right hip, my wrists, occasionally my shoulders and my neck. I was self-employed, my first arthritis began two years after I started my little business and I flogged on for sixteen years before calling it a day. I no longer work and don't miss it in the slightest. What do you do? And how is the OA impacting on it? Has your GP given you pain relief and / or an anti-inflammatory med?

It is a shock to be told something like this, many of us on here will understand that. Please post again on the Living with Arthritis board on here because more people hang out there and you should gain some more replies. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Keith and a warm welcome from me
    I remember this well its was 4 years ago now..not a nice feeling but I was retired so I didn't have to give up work..I do hope you stay with us ..I have found the forum a godsend for information especially when going to see consultants...and the the support from the lovely people is great .
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Keith;

That is a shock for you. I have inflammatory arthritis that affected my wrist first and remember well what it was like to be told I couldn't do my job anymore :shock:

Take care,
    Anna
  • Francie7532
    Francie7532 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I would be shocked also. Can you do any other job? one that doesn't effect your OA? Do they have any sort of retraining for disability where you work? or through the government? You are too young to stop working all together. How do you feel? Do you feel you can do your job? How about part of your job? How about part time? Don't give in to the OA.