Change your important passwords . . .

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 12. Apr 2014, 08:41 in Community Chit-chat archive
. . . . to be on the safe side. I have just heard a report on the radio about severe internet problem with hackers gaining entry to the service systems used by banks and on-line retailers; one chap described it as the internet being on fire whereas others are saying it's no big deal. I don't want to be caught out so I have changed my bank passwords plus others. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks DD its a good idea to change password regular..especially on your email..
    Love
    Barbara
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I think it is called the Bleedheart virus. I've changed my passwords but I don't know if that will work. I got the impression it can hack the computer to get the passwords. I did hear they are telling people it is best to stay off the internet for a few days till the servers sort it out. No idea what I'd do with myself. :lol:
    Christine
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I've heard that on the raidio changed some passwords but not others......not sure I understand it all to be honest...I only heard a bit of it

Love
    Hileen
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've changed all of mine (only five in number) and have resolved to do less shopping on the interweb. I don't understand how it all works but I hate the idea of being 'undone' by those with mal-intent. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Mm thanks for the warning, DD. This is a biggie and there's some confusion about whether or not changing passwords at this stage will help insofar as, if the affected sites haven't yet 'patched' the problem, then both old and new passwords will be accessible to hackers. I've changed mine but am prepared to change again if necessary.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I'm with you Sticky. Have changed my passwords but thought that if the bug is hacking computers and stealing passwords, does changing them make much difference? I think maybe changing them frequently at the moment is probably best but how many of us will actually do that? Not sure I will.
    Christine
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Quite a few banks are putting up messages NOT to change your passwords. Its called the heartbleed bug. They advise different passwords for different sites,which of course is very difficult to remember if not written down.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein