another RA newbie

Bonnielinda
Bonnielinda Member Posts: 37
edited 15. Oct 2015, 11:23 in Say Hello Archive
Hello all,

I am a long time reader but first time poster on this forum.

Around 3 years ago I was a fit and well lady who went on hiking holidays and worked full time. Suddenly I started suffering with swollen hands, pains in my hip joints and general muscle pains.

After having been through a battery of tests for numerous 'scary' sounding conditions I was finally diagnosed with RA. My meds do help dull the pain and I have my up and down days/weeks. Sometimes I do wonder if this will ever end!

But, I think I have started to come to terms with my foe RA and I am trying to find ways to not let it stop me living my life. So here I am joining in this community to learn and share with you all :)

Comments

• Francie7532
    Francie7532 Member Posts: 40
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    At first the news is hard to take. I, too was a healthy full time worker before my RA. My experience was similar to yours. But I am now 2 years in and almost forget I have a debilitating disease. Once you've figured out how to manage "it" and yourself with "it" things get better. Try lots of things, some things helped for me, some made things worse. You don't know until you've tried. Light exercise with some pilates or yoga works best for me to keep me moving, flexible and strong. Good Luck and don't despair, life will go on and will be as good as you can make it.
  • Bonnielinda
    Thank you both for your kind words. I really do believe having the support of fellow RA's makes a huge impact on my emotional well-being. Today is a good day. I was able to accomplish all the tasks I had set out for myself and it really has made me happy!

I believe that I have started to accept my new and different life and all the challenges it will bring. I am slowly figuring out as Francie put it "manage "it" and myself with "it"".

I actually have signed up for a Pilates class starting after Easter:) Have been told to watch my weight as that really can effect my joints.

BL
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Linda and a warm welcome from me
    At the min I have OA its been with me for 4years..but I'm due to see a Rheumy in May to see if anything else is going on,I do hope you stay with us and any question post in LWA..and we have chitchat ..for talking about anything but...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Bonnielinda
    Hi Barbara,

Appreciate the warm welcome:) Feeling a wee bit down today. But seeing your post has made me smile. I think that is what I was missing, a good old chitchat!

Bit embarrassed to admit I don't know what LWA is? Feel I should though.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    LWA is the Living with Arthritis board on here, it's the place where more people hang out to talk about doctors, drugs, appointments, frustrations, problems etc.

Hello from me, my name is DD and welcome aboard. I am sorry you have had to find us but, rest assured, you are talking with the initiated and we do get what it's like. Luckily for me I have a life-history of auto-immune troubles so, despite my arthritis coming as a surprise it wasn't a total shock, more a case of 'here we go again'. :roll: I have psoriatic arthritis which has led to osteoarthritis in some very useful joints and fibromyalgia, my a rancid cherry on a rotten cake. :lol:

Arthritis not only has an impact on us, it hits those around us - family, friends and colleagues. You say you've been reading on here so I am sure you have seen mention of The Spoon Theory and There's a Gorilla in my House; they are to be found on the internet and give very good accounts of how our lives are altered (and why those around us sometimes just don't get it). I would like to type more but my asthma is in over-drive at the moment and I'm not too lively. Take care and I hope to see your name here and there all over the forum. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Bonnielinda
    Hi DD,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Was starting to think that I was to old the get the lingo!

I really can empathise with what you wrote 'those around us sometimes just don't get it'.

I continued working for a short while after my official diagnosis and could tell that my colleagues although supportive were at the two extremes as to how they coped with me. Some where overly helpful it felt almost intrusive and others where 'suspicious' and perhaps couldn't really understand how I was no longer able to do a lot of the stuff that I had before. But that is all ancient history now.... I have moved on.

I have been blessed with a wonderful hubby, he does all he can. He really has had to taken on the lion share of the responsibility.

I am learning how to be more 'productive' each day and help out when I can. It's incredible the accomplishment I feel after I have finished tasks that I really used to hate i.e. ironing!!

I am just thankful for the love of my family ....
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I am learning how to be more 'productive' each day and help out when I can. It's incredible the accomplishment I feel after I have finished tasks that I really used to hate i.e. ironing!!

Good :D

I don't know if this will be of any help but I have ironing 'days' ie I just leave it out, do 2,3 or 4 items then recover by doing something less taxing on the arms, shoulders and hands - or nothing :wink: - then come back and do the same again. Repeat as necessary :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Welcome from me bonnielinda
    i to like you and others on this forum am ajusting to the living with arthritis
    life and we learn to live with it, i have PsA and had to stop working at 60
    the only upside for me is it didnt stop me earlier, and im gratefull for that.
    it does take some adjusting tho,
    good luck mike.. :roll:
  • Bonnielinda
    Great suggestion SW, the pile has started to get rather high perhaps follow each load with a reward, like my secret stash of choco eggs LOL!

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your kind words!
  • dreamdaisy
    I now iron sitting down, it's more awkward but easier on my hips, knees, ankles and toes. I have also changed my board for a very lightweight one, a lighter iron, lighter pans, different peelers, better food processor, a good blender etc., anything to make my creaky life easier. 'Do a bit then rest a bit' is my mantra. I'm resting now before the onslaught of preparing dinner. :lol: DD
  • Francie7532
    It's funny how we age so slowly, we lose bits of our younger selves day by day. We stop doing things one by one as we age in a slow regular normal pattern. We mourn each loss but move on, because we always remember we gain so much more than we lose by living and enjoying life & living. RA happens literally over night for some of us, slower for others with OA, but it still happens much faster. It's ok to mourn those things that you used to do, but find new things. I found the speed at which I lost things a little hard to manage and wondered what would be left for later. It has been 15 years for me and I have found many, many new things to fill in for the lost things. Don't despair, life can be awesome, even with some pain. :wink:
  • Bonnielinda
    Loving your mantra DD!! Yeah, dinner gets me every time! Probably because at the end of a long day my body and I have given up. I often don't look forward to preparing dinner. But, on the other hand, I have become quite the expert in oven based dishes. I find them the easiest to prepare. This has given me an idea. Is there a cooking thread? Would be handy to have a collection of no fuss recipes and cooking equipment which has made peoples lives easier. Going to have a look later on as I've got the get dinner on now :)
  • dreamdaisy
    We used to have a wonderful thread sharing tips and recipes but it was accidentally deleted when its founder fell from favour. :( We have tried to resurrect it but it doesn't last - we're all poorly people on here and sometimes it's beyond us to sustain the impetus.

I love my slow cooker, I can start something in the morning and keep adding to it during the day; nothing spoils either. I have just begun tonight's pasta sauce, safe in the knowledge I can turn it off to 'fester' (one of my favourite cooking terms :wink: ) so that all I have to do tonight when he wanders in is the pasta while the sauce reheats. I love one pot cooking and recommend a slow cooker, they're very useful. DD
  • Bonnielinda
    I have always been interested in a slow cooker and have been told many good things about it, but never had one. Think it might be time to invest in one. Thanks DD
  • Francie7532
    good things come to those who wait. Trust me, you will make some of you best food in a slow cooker :D