Payday Shock

Lubs
Lubs Member Posts: 155
Hi,

I posted this on the living well forum. Does anyone know about SSP?

I've had a real shock on payday. As everyone knows I'm currently off sick. I been teaching for 13 years and not really been off sick for period this long. Don't get me wrong when I was first diagnosed and on DMRDS I caught viral meningitis where I had 2/3 months off work and a phased return to work. After this I been very lucky, until 2010. This is where I had a bacterial infection in the blood - I stayed in hospital for 3 weeks, had a week off at home and then went back to work.

Recently, I been extremely tired and ill that the GP and rheumatology consultant have both signed me off from working for a total of five months - until June. But my pay has stopped, I wasn't given any warning, no letter to tell me I will now be on SSP for a few weeks. Can you imagine the shock when I was paying bills and found I had been paid a fraction of what I used to earn. When I called the office, they informed me that I haven't worked for this new school for more than four months or a year and I'm not entitled to six months sick pay.

Does anyone know what other financial help I can ask for as I've never tried this before and I'm completely confused by some of the information on these websites!

Comments

• aralph
    aralph Member Posts: 11
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,sorry to hear that
    I had a similar experience (not nice)
    I found the CAB very informed and helpful,ask them,maybe there is something that can help - good luck!
    Al
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Local authorities seem to be doing this lately.
    Contact the HMRC Newcastle and they will tell you immediately if you should be paid, an excellent service.

The criteria is you must have earned around £109 per week (may have changed slightly with budjet) for the past 8 weeks before you first went off sick.. Have the relevant payslips to hand and they get in touch with pay role for you. They were furious last time it happened to me as it is worked out on a formula all LAs should know.

Good luck.
    Ruby
  • Lubs
    Thanks Ruby for the advice! I have also been in touch with the union and they think I should be paid on full pay for longer, it's something called continuous pay, where I've been in work continuously for 13 years.

I will also call the HMRC to ensure that I know all my rights. I will be calling the school once the Easter holiday is over to insist on full payment. What really bothers me is as these schools have become academies they think they can do what they like!
  • ruby2
    Did you have any luck when you contacted them Lubs?
    Ruby
  • Lubs
    Hi Ruby,

I called the school today, to discuss continuous employment with them, as the union also thinks I'm entitled to full sick pay. I've worked continuously for 13 years so they think I'm entitled, in addition they have been through my contact with this school.

So far I'm still waiting for the school to return my phone call. I will call them again tomorrow, every hour on the hour if I have to. Wish me luck.
  • ruby2
    Hope you get some results soon . Good Luck!
    Did your ring HMRC? They usually deal with it pretty quick ....within minutes actually.....I'm sure I/ or someone else put the formula for working it out on here some time ago ...I will bump it up if I find it.

You should be entitled to about 6 months full and then 6 months half pay working for the local authority. You haven't taken any unpaid leave have you?

Good Luck again.
    Ruby
  • Lubs
    Hi Ruby,

I managed to speak to someone from school. They are looking into the pay as it needs to go to HR.

I do not need to go to occupational health for an assessment, they have instructed the school to start the pension process immediately. So I was emailed the forms and had to pass them to my GP. I cannot believe it was £40 deposit for him to fill them out and then I still have to pay more when I collect the forms.

I have never taken any unpaid leave from work, all I have done is changed employers, from one school to another. I have always worked and find it hard sitting at home. I think if I get my retirement at least I could do something with my time, something that fits in with my sleeping patterns. At the moment I do not even go out to the high street to the local shops, which are only 5 minutes away. I'm house bound.

Thank you for all your help and advice Ruby.
  • ruby2
    You are very welcome Lubs... Hope it all goes well.
    Iknow exactly what you mean about sitting at home.... I would give anything to be able to go out and work full time ...as it is getting ready to go out part time is equivalent to a days work these days. :cry: Do keep in touch.
    Ruby
  • Lubs
    Hi Ruby,

Thank you for bumping up the other thread. After reading it and receiving less SSP than the previous month, I gave HMRC a call. The guy who I spoke to was really nice and told me that he had no experience in this field. However, he has taken my details and said a team will look into it, in 48hrs call me back and speak to my employer on my behalf.

So I'm just waiting to see what they have to say. Thank you once again. I told my husband where I got the idea from to phone them and he was pleased that I'm speaking to people on the internet! :P
  • ruby2
    Hi Lubs sorry I havent been around for a few days!
    I hope you now have some news from HMRC...if I can find my old letter I will forward you the direct number.
    Really Hr dept should have given it to you when they sent you their decision, they just constantly drag their feet.

Hey talk anytime :D I will forward you my email by PM.
    Ruby
  • Lubs
    Finally someone listened.

I've been speaking to the HR department in school and requesting that they tell me how they are calculating my SSP, especially since it has decreased. I even phoned the HMRC and they couldn't completely work out what the school was doing. I was told by the union to ask for continuous payment.

Well I received a phone call yesterday from a very apologetic HR lady, who realised that I've been working continuously since 2001. I will get my sick pay back dated. :D

I'm not angry with her or anyone for this mistake, and I think that took her by surprise. As being on this reduced income has taught me how to really budget, and any money on top is now a bonus! :D

She also put my application for ill health retirement in. Which I'm thankful for.
  • ruby2
    Lubs contact with HMRC will certainly have fed back to them and got them to pay up... I am convinced its a scam of local authority departments...ask for immediate back payments.
    Ruby