Hi

thekittyswhiskas
thekittyswhiskas Member Posts: 3
edited 20. Apr 2014, 05:51 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, my name is Claire and I am 40. I live in Norwich. I have just been diagnosed with OA of the right hip. Having read through a lot of posts on here I have come to the conclusion you are all very knowledgeable and maybe somebody could answer the question my doctor couldn't. Why do I get so much pain down my left hand side (hip, knee, ankle) if the oa is in my right hip??

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Claire and welcome to the forum.
    It is possible that the OA in your right hip is causing you to move in such a way as to put strain on your left side and thus cause pain. It might be worth asking about physio referral to get someone to look at the way you walk etc and suggest exercises to help.
  • thekittyswhiskas
    thekittyswhiskas Member Posts: 3
    Thank you, I had a feeling that was the reason.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips. It began in one knee ( thanks to the joint damage caused by my other arthritis) and it has spread because of the other joints being thrown out of alignment due to poor walking. Daffy is right on the money but it may also be useful to invest in a stick to be held on the left side because that will ease some of the strain on the right and slow the damage to the left. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello and a warm welcome from me
    I have OA in quite a few joints and I had a hip replaced 9 months ago now...when I was googling leg pain ..I cam across a site that explain that there are two large nerves go behind the hips one being the sciatic ..totally forgot what the others ..but these can refer pain..I got pain in my ankle on the same leg but also it said that they found sometime it can spread across to the other leg...have you had the leg xrayed just in case something else is going on..you could post something in LWA..to see if anyone comes up with more answers..
    Love
    Barbara