David Moyes and Man U.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 26. Apr 2014, 11:28 in Community Chit-chat archive
I don't know much about football but enough to realise that, for my money, the domination of Man U over the past few years has spoiled the game. The fact they cannot stomach their 'poor form' over the past nine months or so proves how immature that footy business is ( because it is a business, end of). Every team has its day and I reckon that Man U is well-beyond its 'best before' date.

Manchester United are a petulant team of petulant players, plus they are owned by a petulant family. They also had a petulant manager guised as 'Siralex'. David Moyes was always the wrong man in the wrong job at the wrong time but I reckon that whoever the chosen successor the same would have occurred.

The fact that this small event in the grand scheme of things has dominated today's news (at least on the Beeb) is disgusting. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Professional football is an industry and all about moneymaking hence the high profile. I never liked Ferguson. He was a bully but so are less successful , managers. Football would be better with a wage cap like ruhby league. Them we'd see who the really good managers were.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I can't believe that the fans blame the Manager for the poor form of late, it's not the Manager playing the football!! Maybe if the players where sacked for poor performance after so long it would make the game more interesting!!
  • Bonnielinda
    Bonnielinda Member Posts: 37
    I completely agree with you DD on the ridiculous amount of coverage this has received on the Beeb! It is such a shame a good sport such as this one has turned into a business. So it really bugs me, when, in my opinion, to much air time is wasted on such a story.

I have started watching two other well-known news channels C** and A* J****** English just to get a real sense of what else is going on in the world. It always surprises me how different the coverage is from each of the big stations and what stories they feel people in there respective countries need/want to hear about!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Well said DD..I would add that the players should have met him half way..I do think that Moyes should have been given longer but what do I know :roll: like SW says money is involved so no time to lose..I did say docked the players wages till they up there game..sure that would make them play better.. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Can't believe its headline news.

The trouble with football is you are only as good as your last couple of games and the fans have no patience.

Every season we see managers applauded one minute and losing their jobs the next.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    I work in Professional Football and most of what happens is ludicrous. Don't get me wrong, I love my job (well some days!) but much of what happens is in a parallel universe to the rest of the world. The media, and for the record we have a fantastic media manager at my club, do stoke the fires of rumour and scandal we see in the papers. I also have to say, what happens in the Premiership is in Disneyland compared to us poor souls lower down the system (my Club is hovering between League 2 and 1).
    Having said of all of that, I was in a meeting this morning in which our Manager said he was totally responsible for how the whole Club played (strategically) from the 1st Team to the U9's so when something goes wrong, THE Manager tends to be the scape goat. I have worked with several Managers now and all have been very different and some I have liked and others I have loathed. I can tell you the players also have similar feelings and it doesn't matter how 'professional' they are supposed to be, they are human and will play in accordance to the feedback they receive from their coaches. However, I leave you with this thought - I used to work with a very (VERY) successful Hockey (football but with sticks :) ) Coach and he always used to say 'if a player is looking to the bench in a match, he/she should be sat on it' which referred to the fact that once the players took to the match pitch the coach could do no more and it was then down to the players to go on and win the match if they had been prepared correctly.
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Bubbadog.... I love your idea...apart from bankers everyone else gets shown the door for poor performance.

Well said!
    Ruby
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    The Man U lack of form can't just be down to the players as they are one of the wealthiest teams in the world so must have international 'spares' aplenty. It's not as if there were only 11 players at the club.

Of course a manager is ultimately responsible for how the players train, eat, team formation, tactics etc. But it was tough on D Moyes that every time things went wrong, the cameras would cut to the glowering face of A Ferguson in the directors' box. How many of us could work well under such pressure from our predecessor?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I think Alex Ferguson chose Moyes as his successor to make him look even more successful.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein