HAPPY ST GEORGE'S DAY

tjt6768
tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
edited 25. Apr 2014, 07:16 in Community Chit-chat archive
I wanted to wish you all a very happy St George's Day.
We don't celebrate our national day enough here. Should be a bank holiday.
A couple of years ago I got in touch with Leeds City council to ask what celebrations there would be in the town centre. The answer: none, because they had spent a whole wedge of cash on devali and St Patrick's day. . :x :x surely St George's Day should come first. I'm all for celebrating other faiths, countries etc but not at the expense of our own.
Mini rant over (for now :D )
e050.gifMe-Tony
n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
k040.gif
Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP

Comments

• mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    We Just dont seam to celebrate st george,s day
    not like st patricks day where you have a good old jig
    i love the music to and a guiness :o
    we just dont celebrate like ireland do, dont quiet no why that is.
    perhaps one day it might come into fashion and weill celebrate it
    more and often..
    mines a guiness :lol::o mike..
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well, as the daughter of a 'George', Happy St George's Day to you, too, Tony :D But, please, no more Bank Holidays :o April and May are rife with them. Christmas is now a fortnight's holiday. My friends in the USA are amazed that no-one ever seems to work here.

St George was born in Turkey, probably of Palestinian parents. He's the patron Saint of loads of countries and cities as well as, according to Wikipaedia, ' soldiers, archers, cavalry, chivalry, riders, saddlers, farmers and field workers and people with leprosy, the plague and syphilis :o '.

I think Ireland, Scotland and Wales celebrate their national saints precisely to distinguish themselves from their dominant partner, England. As the imperialist element, we see no need. Besides, the flag of St George has come to be symbolic of the the far right and racial intolerance which is odd really as Muslims also venerate him.

He used to be celebrated by the wearing of a RED rose, Tony. (Well, you can't do that in Yorkshire :lol: ) plus Morris Dancing. That could work, you know. I can't see the BNP donning their ribbons, bells and handkerchiefs. Mind you, 'Morris dancing' originally meant 'Moorish Dancing' so that's not very English either :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Happy St Georges day to you Tony..they could scrap one of the bank holidays and replace one with St Georges day.. :D have my Rose in...bought it off a children's charity..so I have done a little bit..there is an house nearby with buntings up the only one for miles...Oh and I do have my union jack in the window..its only Little but is better than nothing ..its more a celebrations of Britain then St George... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    I think the idea of swapping a bank holiday is a great idea indeed. I reckon that the minorities that use the George cross for idiotic racist bulls..t are the ones that have spoilt it for us. Then you have the lefty liberals that are terrified of offending anyone. They are doing a great dis-service to us all. If anyone is offended by me waving the George cross around. . Tough. Get a grip. It's add though everyone but us is allowed to be proud of who they are. It's a farce to be honest. I ALWAYS have my flags on the car on St George's Day. And my England shirt too..

grrrr... almost got me ranting again. :o:lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    tjt6768 wrote:
    I think the idea of swapping a bank holiday is a great idea indeed. I reckon that the minorities that use the George cross for idiotic racist bulls..t are the ones that have spoilt it for us. Then you have the lefty liberals that are terrified of offending anyone. They are doing a great dis-service to us all. If anyone is offended by me waving the George cross around. . Tough. Get a grip. It's add though everyone but us is allowed to be proud of who they are. It's a farce to be honest. I ALWAYS have my flags on the car on St George's Day. And my England shirt too..

grrrr... almost got me ranting again. :o:lol:
    Good for you Tony...or is this Mell in disguise.. :? :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    Lol. I can rent just as well as old mell. :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP