What an inspiration

ouchpotato
ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
edited 15. Oct 2015, 11:27 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hello everyone. I spent the morning glued to the JustGiving page of Stephen Sutton - if you haven't read his story then take a look. He is a 19 year old lad who is dying of cancer, and is one of the most inspirational people I have ever come across. He wrote a bucket list of things he wanted to do before he dies, and one of those was to raise £10,000 for teenage cancer trust. I watched his donations page this morning climb past the £1 million mark, and it is currently at just under 1.3 million. It made me think long and hard about life, and the stupid niggles that I complain about on a daily basis. If you have a few minutes spare look at his facebook page, or his just giving page, or just google his name. Rarely has someone moved me to tears the way this boy has.

Comments

• Francie7532
    Francie7532 Member Posts: 40
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    thank you ouchpotato. It is always good to put things in perspective. Yeah, we are all suffering in pain and unable to do the things we used to do, but we are alive and probably will be in 1-2 years. This young man won't be able to go to university, get married, have a family or do all those things that we all took for granted. I have goose bumps right now and feel lucky to be alive!! thanks....
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Yes ouchpotato
    saw stephen on tv and a truly insperational young man well done.
    makes you feel very humble and thankfull.
    i shake your hand.
    mike..
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    I simply hate it when I hear of young people dying of cancer, it's just not fair on the young person concerned, their parents, siblings and extended family members. I used to be a voluntary fundraiser for the Little Havens Children's Hospice in Essex and the staff did an utterly brilliant job looking after the youngsters in their care.

Stephen is certainly an inspirational young man and he deserves the very best of care in the short time he has left. Following all the news bulletins I expect many people are thinking of him at this time.

Janet
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I have been following Steven,you are right Ouch he is such an inspiration ..and a beautiful young man inside and out..his smile is wonderful...my heart goes out to his family..but they must be so very proud of him.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    I also have been following this story, and he is a remarkable and brave young man. Life is indeed, at times, cruel and unfair - we lost our gorgeous nephew at the age of 14 to leukaemia; this inspired many of the people he knew to raise money for charity, and to continue to do so today, after 4 years. I take my hat off to Stephen and others like him - I really don't imagine I could be so brave.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Janet

I promise you Stephen is getting the very best of care right now. There is none better. I know because it's the same ward as Lucy is being treated on for her leukaemia.

The money he raises will benefit other teenagers like her.

But the staff on there are wonderful :D

love to you all

Toni xxx
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    That must be tough, frog.. and a good many other emotions mixed in. Good to see the appeal rocketing and it is cropping up frequently at the eb*y checkout which is good :) an excellent way to canvass for funds as it must glean all sorts of little & often givers.. ideal I always think.
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    He is incredible :). He moved me to tears aswell. Love reading his post, he is doing a little better now.What a guy!
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    toady wrote:
    That must be tough, frog.. and a good many other emotions mixed in. Good to see the appeal rocketing and it is cropping up frequently at the eb*y checkout which is good :) an excellent way to canvass for funds as it must glean all sorts of little & often givers.. ideal I always think.

I agree with you there Toady - it's private too so if you don't want to there's no pressure :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    According to my paper he's been allowed home. :shock: He is a remarkable young man and an example to many. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    So Sad Stephen has died in the early hours of this morning what an inspirational young man this is what his brave mum wrote.

My heart is bursting with pride but breaking with pain for my courageous, selfless, inspirational son who passed away peacefully in his sleep in the early hours of this morning, Wednesday 14th May. The on going support and outpouring of love for Stephen will help greatly at this difficult time, in the same way as it helped Stephen throughout his journey. We all know he will never be forgotten, his spirit will live on, in all that he achieved and shared with so many.

Love,
    His mom x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    So sad to hear this, but in his 19 years he achieved more than many do in 90 years.
    A real hero, who showed true courage.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Stephen ,You were an inspiration to us all ,Yes it was expected but none the less devastating news my heart goes out to your wonderful brave family .Marrianne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    R.I.P. Stephen. He achieved more for others in his 19 years than most of us do in our 'threescore years and ten'. And didn't do it with a long face but with all the enthusiasm of youth. A fine young man.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I know it was expected but it's still come as a shock. I believe it was a peaceful death which has to be the best way.

RIP Stephen, what a remarkable young man you were. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Such sad news.
    An amazing young man indeed. My heart goes out to his family and friends. And of course to all affected by this cruel disease. Including a dear family friend who is in the final stages of it. I feel she will not be around much longer. I've known her many years. My brother is Wed to her sister. Xxx for Donna..

Xxx especially for my friend Toni (frog) and her daughter too..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    RIP Steven...I say it again a beautiful person inside and out...
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    What sad news to hear Stephen passed away such a beacon of light who championed and did everything he could to raise money while fighting his own illness. I'm sure even now he's passed his just giving page will still keep raising money. R.I.P Stephen an amazing young man.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Very sad to hear this news but so glad he managed to do many of the things on his bucket list and raise vital funds for this charity.

Have lost 2 friends to cancer in the past 6 weeks, one suddenly and without much warning and one who was told she only had a year to live but managed a little bit more precious time with her loved ones.

My heart goes out to his family at such a sad time and to Toni who will have been very close to his family.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Stephen did so much for the cancer that he knew he would not beat
    he thought of other's and not himself very brave man.
    we have lost so many family members and friends to this terrible disease.
    Stephen will be remembered for a long time.
    take care all
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    Sad news. :( Condolences tjt and TK also on the loss of your friends.

Current fund total has topped £4m which is incredible.
  • Francie7532
    Francie7532 Member Posts: 40
    I just checked and it is now over £5m. Amazing to leave such a legacy..