Shoe laces!

Sezeelson
Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
edited 2. May 2014, 12:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
After struggling with doing my shoe laces for so long! I've finally decided to look at alternative ways to make securing my shoes much, much easier.

At first I looked at shoe stops which held the laces in place, then cut the excess so no bow or anything. But, I would have to keep them loose in order to get my foot in which isn't going to give me any physical support round my ankles.

By chance, I came across these: http://tinyurl.com/l33goxv

They came today and I've just put them in and tried them out. I'm really impressed actually! Simply pull the lace tight and your ready to go. You don't need a lot of grip to loosen them either thankfully :)

So if anyone else struggles, I recommend giving this design a go :)

Comments

• Doubleouch
    Doubleouch Member Posts: 33
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    These look briilliant -Have ordered a pair
    Many Thanks for link
    x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Thanks so much for sharing this, I don't use laces but my hubby does and really struggles with them..think I will treat him :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    I think I will order a pair of these to test them out, I haven't done up my shoe laces in years which is probably why my shoes keep breaking from forcing my feet into them!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    These look interesting. I have to wear surgical shoes, with a velcro strap these days because I can't do laces but you've got me wondering for my next pair because velcro is not as supportive as laces and my feet are a pain – two in fact :lol: Could you tell me:

1. How wide do they open for getting on? (I need wide)
    2. Does each row have to be loosened individually for getting off? (I'm wondering if I could manage with a hook on the end of an old wooden coathanger.)
    3. Would they work without the apparent need to be locked in at the toe end which I'd never reach?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Docmartin
    Docmartin Member Posts: 19
    I've used these for years now, you don't need to tie them just place them in the shoes. Adjust to your comfort and then you can use lace up shoes like elasticated slip on's.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CURLY-ELASTIC-NO-TIE-SINGLE-COLOUR-SHOELACES-SHOE-LACES-/380368981431?pt=UK_Clothing_ShoeCare_Shoe_Care_LE&var=&hash=item588fc20db7
  • Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    Glad these have been helpful! :D
    These look interesting. I have to wear surgical shoes, with a velcro strap these days because I can't do laces but you've got me wondering for my next pair because velcro is not as supportive as laces and my feet are a pain – two in fact :lol: Could you tell me:

1. How wide do they open for getting on? (I need wide)
    2. Does each row have to be loosened individually for getting off? (I'm wondering if I could manage with a hook on the end of an old wooden coathanger.)
    3. Would they work without the apparent need to be locked in at the toe end which I'd never reach?

When you get the laces, you get a long piece of elastic which you put into your shoes like normal laces. You then thread the clip thing and the stopper onto both laces.
    You cut off the excess, so you can make it as long (for wide fit) or short at you need.

I haven't needed to loosen the individual rows as the give in the elastic has been plenty to get my feet in and out. But you may need to if you need that wide fit? I'll have a play with them in a bit and let you know!

I don't quite know what you mean by being locked in at the toe end?
    Once you have thread and fixed the laces in, you simply pull tight at the top where a normal lace would tie.

Here's a video, might help?
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r5mFeXBHn54
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thanks, sezeelson and DocMartin. I'm still not sure, having watched the video, as it's not so much that my feet are wide as that my ankles are fused so I end up with a tight angle. I think I shall buy Mr SW a pair and check it out on his trainers :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I've been using these for a while. They're great!

I got them when I bought my trainers from a running shop. The lady selling them to me said they're great for when I'm running a triathlon and I finish the swimming section and want to get on with my run quickly. :o I nearly fell of my chair and had to explain that I was but a mere arthritic looking for decent shoes! :lol: