Whoopee doo !

mamasmurf
mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
edited 28. Apr 2014, 18:19 in Community Chit-chat archive
About 5 years ago my lovely hubby gave up work to take care of me rather than strangers coming in to do so . I'm looked after literally 24 hours of every day ; showering , dressing , loo visits , being helped to turn over in bed , everything including all the housework , cooking and cleaning .
Wonderful news today , letter received saying his carers allowance for all this work has gone up to a massive £61 a week !!! Fortunately I appreciate his hard work above and beyond the call of duty !
mamasmurf

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Your lovely hubby is saving the country and fortune and this what he gets in return..I remember this payment coming in when I cared for my father £10 I got..but wouldn't have had anyone else looking after him...the government know they are on to a good thing..it should be a working wage for you both...you take care and what a good hubby you have... :D xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    My OH does the same, having given up work when we moved house just as I hit a massive flare so he never looked for another job over here. Unfortunately he doesn't take is caring duties as well as your OH :(

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I know, from your previous posts, that you have a lovely husband and this just emphasises that. Mine is good too and does a lot for me that most can do for themselves but I'm glad I don't have to wake him to turn me over in bed. I think he'd do it, if necessary, but not exactly graciously :lol:

£61 per week seems very little for all that work though. Can you not get DLA/PIP for the housework element? I do.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Francie7532
    Francie7532 Member Posts: 40
    Governments are happy with this arrangement as it saves them loads of money. I personally would do it in a heart beat for a loved one, but not everyone would or is able to (especially financially). I think if they paid family care givers the going rate it would open a huge can of worms and possible bankrupt the health system, as much as I think they deserve it (the care givers that is). We are all living longer, this is where arthritis really kicks in (OA, not RA), our golden years. This is going to be a huge problem in future. I personally don't have children, so am cozying up to my favourite nephew to look after me if or when I need it :wink:
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    I do claim DLA , you can't receive carers unless the " caree " gets DLA or PIP so we manage ok . My sole point is the amount this saves as opposed to paying strangers to do what is done from love alone . We are by no means an isolated case ; there must be thousands caring for people with far worse disabilities to contend with and with very little in the way of thanks .
    mamasmurf
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Ah, I see. Yes, of course work done bears no relationship to the financial reward. It is a very difficult area. Well done, papasmurf(?)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright