Total Ankle Replacement

alpine
alpine Member Posts: 7
edited 30. Apr 2014, 09:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
I will most likely have to have a total ankle replacement and am really scared. I've learned that the prosthetics used are only in their second generation and do not last or perform as well as knee or hip replacements. Can anyone share with me the type of prosthetic they have, how they are doing with it and what is involved with the rehabilitation, drawbacks etc.?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there. I've had knees and hps but my ankles did a DIY job of fusing themselves so I can tell you nothing about the op. However, 'trepolpen' has had this op, I think, so you might find it helpful to look up his old threads and, with luck, he'll see yours anyway. Also, lower down this page, 'quercus' is about to have a partial replacement. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Alpine

If you used the "search for" or "Search" at the top of the screen you will find past Total Ankle Replacement postings which may be of help to you.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello alpine
    Like Elna say if you use the search button we have had a few people that have either had a ankle replacement or there ankle fused...I just remember them saying they had to wear a cast for so many weeks then a boot.
    Hope you can find something...and if you let us know when your op is we can all support you...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • alpine
    alpine Member Posts: 7
    Thank you all so much for your quick responses. I am a new member to this group and am delighted to share and learn from you. I will persevere...!!