Does anyone know how much an MRI costs?£££

Nicnac
Nicnac Member Posts: 12
edited 1. May 2014, 03:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, Any ideas how much an MRI costs. As I'm sure your all aware the rest of the world seems to use MRI to diagnose just not our beloved NHS. (well in my experience, they don't). the fact is I want a full body scan as I feel like I am collecting arthritic joints weekly, each time I go to the GP or rheumy they come up with another type . I know there are 100s of types, but Id like to know what I'm dealing with. Instead of guessing. know one seems to consider ligament ,muscle or nerve problems . Ive had joint problems for at least the last 35 years , its time to find our more. I know this will not solve anything, but it might help me adjust better to the challenges my body,made up of spare parts, can do. Many thanks Nic.

Comments

• As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I know for a specific area i.e hip its typically £300-400.....a full body scan is usually around £2-3k from what I understand (Family members have full body scan health checks at a private clinic)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    An MRI may show areas of inflammation but what it won't reveal is what ilk of auto-immune may or may not be going on, as you realise. They are expensive beasts so yes, if you are going privately be prepared for a bill in the thousands.

I began with one problematic knee, that was back in 1997. Now I have around thirty-nine affected joints and this is the nature of the beast; arthritis of any type is a progressive and degenerative condition, but the rate of both is as individual as us. I can't believe I felt so aggrieved back then - thank whoever I had no idea what lay ahead. :lol: What meds are you taking at the moment? I feel I should remember but I'm afraid I don't. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nicole
    nicole Member Posts: 16
    Hi Nic
    I had a full hip/spinal MRI at a Spire hospital a month or so ago and the bill came in at £700 :o
    I'm not sure if this was the bill for the MRI alone or included the cost of the radiologists reports as well - luckily I had this covered by insurance. The folks at the Spire hospitals are great and respond to emails very quickly so it might be worth dropping them a quick email to ask for advice.
    I saw the rheumatologist consultant twice, his first fee was £250 and the second appointment following the MRI was £150. So total bill was £1100.
    Hope that helps and good luck
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi Nic,
    I had a shoulder MRI last summer at our local Nuffield hospital-the bill was in excess of £300 for the scan and report to GP-it didn't solve anything but ruled some stuff out! I have to say it felt like a lot of money for a short report that was inconclusive-I could have had it done on NHS but the waiting time at our local hospital was 3 months and I was in a world of pain :oops: . I was due to have a neck MRI at the same time which would have put the bill to a little over £500 but was in so much pain after the 1st I chickened out :( . It showed basically that I have erosion in a joint in the shoulder, but who knows whether the cause is my RA, or plain wear and tear from too many years of writing on a blackboard.

Hope you get the answers you need, or at least the right advice as to how to proceed.

Deb x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Nicnac
    Like the others have said they are expensive.. I was like you just left wondering what was wrong with my back, I knew my hips were shot, so I asked for an MRI and believe me the NHS around here doesn't like paying for things, but I got two one done private but the NHS paid and another one that my back man asked for ..so you asked and if they refused ask again.
    Love
    Barbara
  • Nicnac
    Thanks all, for your very informative posts. Back to the GP tomorrow, like u all seem to say is ask, ask and I will ask again. if then I get no where looks like the Nuffied here I come. Like I'm sure you have experienced its taken for ever to get to this point and fed up feeling the victim and I'm coming out fighting. Fighting the system not myself any more. :P
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    If you can afford it and want to go down that route then fair enough but do re-read DD's and dibdab's posts. MRIs are not the Holy Grail. They don't tell the full story and sometimes don't take us any further forward at all. In your case you're already being treated with a DMARD for inflammatory arthritis and we all know that other joints join the party regularly. I can't see an MRI making any difference to your treatment though it would to your bank account :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    You've had very wise words from Dibdab, DD and Sticky, dont waste your money. :) A CAT scan pinpoints areas of inflammation but if you've been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis you know exactly where the problems are from what your body tells you and the DMARDS are useful little soldiers.
  • Nicnac
    Thanks all. After reading your posts and seeing my GP , think I will save my pennies. Sounds like a holiday on the med would be more beneficial, and definitely more fun. Sometimes you just crave a bit of knowledge, a rubber stamp to what you already know your self, its just sometimes I feel like I'm going mad. But you guys have made me feel slightly less mad, not quite so isolated and definitely saved me a lot of money. I only hope I can help others in the future.

THANK YOU SOO MUCH :wink: Nic.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Holidays come and go - buy yourself a lovely piece of jewellery instead as a reward for being who you are. I did that recently (thanks to an inheritance) and my sparkles cheer me up no matter how low or rough I am feeling. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben