I've gone and done me back in....

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 5. May 2014, 03:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Very bad timing! I had physio yesterday who identified my 'hip pain that's not hip pain' as sacroiliac pain with inflammation as the most likely cause. Thank you, RA - you are indeed the gift that keeps on giving.

I woke up in agony although I did manage to stagger to uni to submit my dissertation. I can't celebrate yet I have the busiest 3 weeks on placement being assessed on my practice and another essay to finish. Given that I cannot afford to take time off placement, I booked to see an osteopath this evening at the not so small cost of £50. :o

I did phone my physio who said the work yesterday shouldn't have caused this. She suggested ice and gentle exercise. Gentle exercise? Just breathing hurts! Now, can I do my essay lying down?

Comments

• Francie7532
    Francie7532 Member Posts: 40
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    So today you are being tested in more ways than one :wink:

I had something similar happen to me when I was in school in finals. I wonder if stress can bring on an episode? Thank god you can read and study lying down, not sure about typing or writing though. I would agree with your physio for the ice and lots of it. It's obviously been woken up and is inflamed. I have heard that sacroiliac pain can subside very quickly with ice and anti inflammatories. So sorry the timing is so bad and good luck!!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh no, I am sorry the sacroiliac joint can be so painful,like your physio say keep it moving but gently does it..ice is good to get rid of the inflammation in this joints but has to be left on for at least an hour ,just taking off if the cold becomes to much, then putting back on again..make sure the cold compress is wrapped in something don't want you getting ice burns..hope it works for you and good luck with your uni work...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Sophie, more than anyone else on here you defeat me in terms of my offering advice. I think that's a compliment :? Have some of these instead. (((())))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Oh dear Sophie, not great timing eh. I hope the osteopath can help lets hope so have some more of these ((((())))) ..................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ummm, I'm puzzled :oops: . I thought the sacro-iliac joints attach the pelvis to the spine but don't form part of one's back (mind you I could be wrong in that). And why is breathing hurting? I apologise, Starburst, I'm not at my best but am bothered about you. I continue, however, laud your spirit; can you bottle some and send it to me? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Sophie, you really are a trooper! Telling R.A 'up yours' and trying your best to carry on. I'm sure you will find a comfy position to do your essay. Good for you fighting back to get through your Uni studies,hope you get through your placement and find a way to charge your self up with pain relief and whatever helps with the pain ready for the next day on placement! Fingers crossed you will get through your Uni year and get the grades you want. I like yourself are suffering with painful inflamed hips and painful back so know how hard it is to get comfortable to so understand how you feel. Soft (())'s.
  • Starburst
    Today I decided that my health needed to come first, so I left my placement early.

I think breathing is hurting because the pain is shooting up into my mid back and all the muscles are tense. My ribs are flarey too.

Thank you kindly for your generous words. xx Osteopath agreed it is not my hip and suggested that my lower back is basically frozen hence why the muscles gone into spasm causing. It looks like my spine issues will need addressing in the long-term but for now, I need to get over this hump.

I feel like I'm falling apart at the age of 25 years, 51 weeks and 1 day!
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Oh dear Sophie this disease does have a habit of biting us on the bottom when we least need it :( . Well done on getting the dissertation in, you're so close to the end :D . Hope the back pain settles soon.

Deb xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Just more of the same from me, I'm afraid. (((())))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh blast it. :( It's not on, is it? ((( ))) x DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    How are you getting on Sophie?? I really hope it's easing a bit for you. Does a tens machine help at all? It was great during labour :wink:

Gentle ((((Hugs))))

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Starburst
    I'm struggling a bit, especially as my mum (who does a lot of caring stuff for me) is away, so I'm doing more than usual. I'm back to the osteopath tomorrow. I don't usually go for osteopathy but I need some sort of relief.

I'm using ice but I can't find my TENS machine. I have a feeling it's in the loft but I don't fancy my chances up a ladder right now. :lol:
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hope the Osteopath appt went alright and it's helped you alittle with the pain. Take care gentle (())'s
  • DebbieT
    Oh no, that's typical isn't it? :?
    Really? I'd have thought you'd have chucked ureself up a ladder & rumaged around in ure loft til ud located it ... not!! :shock:
    I'm really glad you didn't :wink::D

I hope the appointment went well for you & that you get some relief soon. Hopefully wen ure Mum gets home it'll help as well.

Big ((((hugs))))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Starburst
    My back is still bad; lower spine is frozen solid and muscles are cramping. There is no comfortable position to sleep in and I am so very tired. I must admit, I'm a little bit cranky too. :oops: I was doing really well with my exercise programme; a gentle stroll 4x a week and the hospital gym once a week but now I can't do any of that. :roll: Osteopath is hopeful that the humira will settle down any inflammation and he'll keep working on easing my muscles but I am less hopeful, just down in the dumps really!
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Aw Sophie I am so sorry to hear this especially when it is a holiday weekend you should be out enjoying yourself. Hang in there pet you are nearly there (((()))) to keep you going hope you feel better soon..............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • DebbieT
    Oh Sophie, with the lack of sleep & chronic pain it is no wonder you are feeling cranky!! :( :?

Could you ring the out of hours Drs for some advise .. a muscle relaxant perhaps? Something like a low dose of diazepam may help relax ure back & the sedative effect combined could allow you to sleep!! Just a thought.

I really hope you get some relief soon.

(((Hugs)))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    How miserable for you, I do hope you get some relief soon Sophie.
    It's hard to remain positive when things are so bad, and lack of sleep certainly doesn't help! Let's hope the Humira does it's job along with the Osteopath.
    Take care, (((())))
    Numpty