Where we live........

Sharon2960
Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
edited 2. May 2014, 03:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
is a 17th century stone and thatch cottage; obviously this does not have any cavity or roof insulation, nor damp proof coursing, although the windows do have secondary glazing. The house is a bit damp at times, though we keep it well heated and ventilated. Has anyone else lived in such a property and suffered from RA; if so, have you moved house and found that it made a difference to the RA?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I haven't though I've lived in a few different houses/flats since I was first diagnosed. It'll be interesting to see what others say. Do you find things any easier when you're away from home?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Hi Sticky, Usually when we go away, we stay in a hotel abroad, so it's maybe not a 'true' comparison? Though warmer weather and sunshine seems to make a difference! I've been achier and more tired recently, but the weather has been a bit variable, with damper and more misty conditions, so maybe the weather plays a part! I don't really want where we live to have a detrimental effect, cos we love it there!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Sharon
    Must say your house sounds idyllic apart from the damp, sorry I cant offer any help but hopefully someone will...another interesting topic... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Even if it does have an impact I doubt you'll ever find out what it is. Believe it or not, quite a lot of research has been done on the impact of weather but no correlation can be found possibly because the variables are so many. I suspect the same would hold for your house. I suggest you just enjoy it :D (And keep taking the meds :lol: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    RA is an auto-immune arthritis but whether your housing would affect it I don't know. I know that the cold and damp upsets my OA, whereas heat and humidity upsets my PsA; my arthritis is a year-round event. :roll: We moved just before Christmas from one Victorian house to another, but the difference between the two is a lack of stairs; the first one had 26 split over two staircases (so 52 to go from the ground floor to the top and back again) whereas this one has only 14 which I don't have to climb thanks to a ground-floor bedroom. Now that HAS made a difference to my joints! :)

Your house sounds delightful and if you are happy living there then that counts for a great deal. I became very unhappy at the first house but am coping far better in the new one (well, I was until last night which was a rough one). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben