coming soon to an injection site near you (mtx users)

tjt6768
tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
edited 11. Aug 2014, 14:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all...
This is for all of us Methotrexate injectors.
I went to my rheumy Clinic yesterday for my injection (they are waiting to arrange a delivery date so I can do them at home) and my nurse was telling me that she had been to a meeting the day before. Basically there is a new EU directive.. The brussel sprout brigade have decided that everyone on injections will be changing to pens (like epi pens) soon. This has just been rolled out across Germany and will be here within the next yr or so.
I think the pens will be a much easier option for any people that struggle with the syringes but I have to admit that I can't stop thinking that it will surely cost more. The pens are three times the size of the syringes. They have to be more expensive? ?
I would've been happy to just leave things as they were.
My nurse was saying that some people may be really worried about switching and need re-training.. More nhs expense.
I know that there are some people that will worry. Maybe the older generations etc.

Anyway. .
Your thoughts?
e050.gifMe-Tony
n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
k040.gif
Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP

Comments

• tjt6768
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    20140425_124340.jpg
    20140425_124251.jpg

20140425_124306.jpg

I was given this leaflet. Have attached a couple of pages here
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I don't do either though I think, if I had to, my hands might be able to manage a pen but not a syringe.

Research on people with Type 2 Diabetes has shown that, although the pens initially cost more, they work out much cheaper (literally by half) because people are more likely to take their meds properly and regularly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    Good point madame sticky lol.
    They just huge compared to the little syringes. Plus they have more intricate parts with the spring loaded needle etc.
    I'm easy either way. Lol
    my nurse hadn't even told her colleagues before she told her patients haha....
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Hmm interesting. I've been injecting MTX for 2.5 years and have always struggled. I nearly always lose a quarter of the dose, sometimes more! I don't get metoject, I get bog standard hospital syringes which I've commented on lots of times but no changes have been made. They are tricky little so and sos. I had even more 'fun' with cimzia syringes, despite them supposedly being designed especially for arthritic hands. I did the humira pen for the first time yesterday and it was a much better experience. I hope I can get the MTX pen but I doubt it if I don't get metoject syringes. :(
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    First I have heard of this :o no thank you very much is my first thought. Oh I don't get a say. Oh well what's new. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Not keen on this in the slightest bit. Thank you for the warning anyway.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    ugh that's really bad news for someone like me, I need to be in control of the needle and do injections at my own pace. If they force me to swap to something like that then I don't know how I will take my medication..... typical EU they think one rule suits all -.-
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Thanks for that tony
    ive been useing humira inject pen for 8 weeks now and its not been a
    problem so far.
    for me i cant see a problem think ide prefer metoject pen for the methotrexate as well.
    i think most people that are useing metoject pen will welcome idea.
    lets have a vote, stab or pen.
    mike26 pen=1 :?
  • Francie7532
    Francie7532 Member Posts: 40
    I would agree that they are probably more expensive, they are still relatively new. The added expense is probably offset by the positives for the patients using them. I've seen them here in Canada for about 10 years. The biggest plus I hear is how easy they are, especially if you have arthritic hands!! Not sure how the dosing works, if it can be customized or changed by the user? or if they are set in stone. I do believe they are modifiable so you can use what you want. I also think if they are easier more users would get the right dosage, not lose any medication and will more likely take it according to their prescription/doctor instructions. I have not heard of a downside to these new epi pins yet.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Tony I can see what you mean about the cost they do look complex, the only injections I had to do was after my THR..blood thinners and I hated it so think the pen might be a good option...I do wish you well with the Metho..let us know how you get on with it...not sure how long you have been on it.. :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    This is turning into a good discussion so far. .
    Barbara, have been on mtx about a year in total but only injecting for about seven weeks. . Doing good with it so far. My ALT was 106 at one point and had the nurse known (have bloods done at gp and the results don't go to the clinic for some reason) she would've stopped the injections. Luckily my levels all came down and are quite good now. :D

as for the pens and measurements etc. I think they will have a set amount of mtx and are definitely single use.

I'm not fussed which way I get the stuff into my system. Though the pens seem very easy to use from what the nurse was showing me with the demo pen she had.
    I'll attach the rest of the leaflet if anyone wants it. Just let me know.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    I've been injecting meth for about 3 months now, and my rheumy nurse suggested that they would start rolling out the epi-pen style meth during the summer. I think it looks easier- and I'm probably going to feel a bit happier if I don't actually have to see the needle going into my skin-makes me a bit twitchy :shock: . And I guess we'll have absolutely no say in it any way-it is after all just us that are going to be on the receiving end, and we seldom seem to be asked for an opinion!

Deb x
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    I have used a pen and a syringe, and much prefer the syringe as it gives me more control over the speed the drug is administered. Oh well, never mind, I'm getting used to losing control and choice over stuff in my life. :(
    Numpty
  • tjt6768
    As I said......
    brussel sprouts again telling us what to do....
    We could've at least been asked our opinions. Alas, this country bends over and begs to be spanked by merkel and the rest of em :x
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I liked the hospital syringes, lovely slender needles with very narrow points. The metoject beast is horrid: a short, stubby needle that needs a real shove to get it to pierce the skin. Ugh, but it's done and dusted nice and quickly.

I don't like the humira pen because of the lack of user control, it does what it does how it's designed to do it but at least that's only fortnightly. I guess these directives have been introduced by people who don't inject themselves with anything - I hope they all are struck down with virulent RA to teach them a lesson or two. Twerps. (What's the Cherman for twerp I wonder? Tverp? :wink: ) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    I'm with the pro syringe brigade. I dislike the epi pen which delivers the Enbrel and long for the syringe delivery of Cimzia.

Since being on Enbrel I've often wondered how plumper peeps manage. When do they know that the guard shielding the needle is sufficiently depressed for the button to be fired? I've had two pens fail because the shield wouldn't retract but because my thighs are rock hard :lol: I could see what the problem was straight away. I found the Cimzia syringe to be a far superior beast and have been hoping that any 'improvement' would be t'other way about.

I know we're all different but I find the universal adoption of epi pens to be completely anserine :roll:
    Cherry
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    What's the Cherman for twerp I wonder?
    Dredging through 45 years of fog to O level german I would suggest idiot or dummkopf, but trottel also seems to be relevant.
    This level of cerebral activity coupled with hayfever fallout has caused a system failure - time for a restorative beverage methinks.
  • dreamdaisy
    Ah, thank you for that, Daffy: I knew both terms but, like you, systems failure is currently the norm. My masseuse will shortly be arriving to beat me up, including rib thumping to help 'loosen' the frogspawn which is sticking in my lungs. I am 'phlegmatic' i.e. a machine that manufactures 'phleg'. :wink: DD
  • tjt6768
    Off for my appointment soon to rheumy. I wish they would hurry up and arrange the home deliveries. Lol
    parking is a nightmare at Chapel Allerton at three o'clock. Visiting times lol. .
    Back later. .
    Be good people :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjt6768
    Not my last appointment lol
    back again next Thursday. So will be leaving London earlier than we thought. .
    :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    I am not on methotrexate but I was on the injectable version until fairly recently - it was easy but not of much use. I have gone on to a pen and I can say it is also easy, possibly easier than the injections, and, most importantly the Enbrel I am taking through it seems to be working :D, but d'ya know what the pen injection REALLY hurts! Its worth it, but like many of you I have needles stuck in me on an all too regular basis, so I know the difference between a 'you will feel a sharp scratch' and arghhhhhh :o The Pen is definitely arghhhhh - wouldn't stop it though.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I'm interesting that some people prefer the syringes. I appreciate that having more control works for some people but I can barely bring myself to pierce the skin. I like knowing I have less control, so I can get it over and done with. I just pretend that someone else is doing it. :lol: Don't get me wrong, I can cope with syringes but pens take away those few minutes of anxiety.
  • dreamdaisy
    That's why I don't like them because there is no control. I prefer being 'in charge'. I guess they can't please all of the people all of the time! :wink: DD
  • tjt6768
    I like stabbing myself but then again I'm weird lol

I'm just getting last minute things packed. Off to Leicester overnight then London till Thursday. .

Hoping my mate has wifi at his house lol
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjt6768
    In Leicester.. Nice place. Just had a wonder round. Going to book into the hotel soon. It's a lovely day :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Out and about again, young Tone? Nice life it you can get it! :wink: Seriously mate, have a good time and don't over-do things, maybe it's time to christen your new chariot? May I re-name you Boudicca? :D DD