ferritin levels

As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 4. May 2014, 10:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone ever had high ferritin levels before? I had a voice mail today asking me to come in for further blood tests, I'm concerned this is going to slow down starting my new treatment which I'm desperate to start ASAP!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I know we have at least one person on here who has had high ferritin levels for some time but I'm afraid I can't remember who. I hope she'll see this.

I can understand your concern re the new treatment but they are doing the right thing by investigating this even if it does mean a delayed start to the new meds.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh sorry I cant help on this one but hope someone can put your mind at rest, good luck with the treatment and please let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara
  • As5567
    I really hope its something simple and quick to put right but from what google tells me I don't think its going to be that simple (Google is a bad idea I know)

I'm in a really bad way right now and any delay in starting new treatment is really going to upset me, I literally have no quality of life at the moment and the only part of the day I look forward to is having some pred tablets and pain killers that give me around 3-4 hour window where I can get some sort of rest from the constant pain
  • stickywicket
    I do feel for you. I think we've all been there at times – that horrible place where you just want something – anything – to change because it seems any change has to be one for the better. However, it aint necessarily so and putting you on new meds before this problem has been properly investigated could make things worse and would be highly irresponsible of the docs involved. I think you just have to sit it out. Much easier said than done, I know :roll:

And, yes, while doing so, also try not to over-google. Use only responsible sites. I found this one. I don't know if it'll be of any help. http://southtees.nhs.uk/services/pathology/tests/Ferritin/
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hopefully it is just due to inflammation but better to find out now before you start a new treatment, especially if it turns out to be related to liver function.

Best of luck, try not to worry until you know for sure what's causing it. I know this is easy to say and not so easy to do.....
  • As5567
    Well I saw my doctor today who thinks its down to inflammation, this is backed up by my regular bloods coming back "off the scale" high

I was also given a depo shot and I'm actually feeling slightly better at last, that is after 3x steroid IV infusions, high dose of oral pred and a depo shot!

Now I just need to wait for my new medication
  • stickywicket
    That's all sounding a bit better. I'm pleased and hope the trend continues.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    Blood test #2 shows my ferritin levels are even higher this time round. My doctor has told me they are confident that its due to inflammation now rather than anything else and that they are going to try and rush through the paper work to get my new medication ASAP.

Good news couldn't come sooner as im back to where I was before the depo injection
  • stickywicket
    It does sound like good news and I do hope so as you clearly need something to give you a boost. Fingers crossed.
    Steven Wright
  • rach21
    rach21 Member Posts: 8
    Hi

I have high ferritin but never got to the bottom of why as all other results normal, doctors seem to get bored of testing me and just concentrated on trying to sort my back out.