Claiming Attendance Allowance

silverbirch
silverbirch Member Posts: 63
I have R.A and claimed Attendance Allowance about 4 years ago because I was 65 and to old to claim disability allowance, I only claimed for the day rate as I could manage at night with a bit of help from my OH, now I am finding it much worse and need more help at night for getting to the bathroom and the odd drink of water with pain killers and all sorts of problems with the bedding,

I really want to apply for the day and night care now but am worried they might take the benefit I am getting away from me as I have heard about so many people being knocked back who are very severely disabled, what i your advise please.

Comments

• Cree51
    Cree51 Member Posts: 8
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    When I applied for my PiP, I discovered they do things on a points system. So my thinking is, if you reapply make sure you include everything in your last application, and details of what's gone worse. I don't see how they can take away what you've been allocated if things have only got worse. I would also get help and advice from professionals to fill your form in or someone close to you. For instance I stated that it took me 5mins to get out of bed....thinking that was a long time as I can't just jump up, my sister went thro my movements step by step and it actually takes me 15 minutes from waking up and deciding to get up to actually standing and moving away from the bed!!! You have to be careful in what you admit to being able to do off yourself, that's what can trip you up. Good luck xx
  • Cree51
    Cree51 Member Posts: 8
    Sorry, last sentence should read,
    Careful what you admit you can do for yourself !!
  • myrtleju
    myrtleju Member Posts: 3
    Hello I am sure that attendance allowance is not affected by the new changes to DLA..... I would ring Citizen Advice and ask to make sure and if you can claim the higher rate ask for someone to come to your home to help fill in the forms.I have just had help from them filling in PIP forms could never have managed it on my own.....They even took the forms and posted them recorded delivery... hope this helps .....Ju
  • tenbury
    tenbury Member Posts: 52
    Hello again, had to change my username as I couldn't log in but would like to thank all who took the trouble to reply, some good advise there so many thanks. :)