OA help please!

Options
hannah19
hannah19 Member Posts: 15
Hi, I am 19 years old and would like some advice on having my bones fused together. I have OA in both my big toes. When I went to romotoligy they said there is not much they can do because they do not want to put me on drugs so early in my life. I had my first injection a couple of weeks ago and it has got rid of a lot of the pain. The other option I have is to get my bones fused together. Does anyone know what this includes? I would like to go and do musical theatre at university in September. If I get them fused together could I still dance and do activities? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I think you should repost this on the Living with Arthritis board on here because that is the zone for this kind of enquiry. I don't know about fusions but there are members on here who have had similar ops so they may be better able to help. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hannah19
    Options
    Hi nice to meet you too, Thank you, I have just done that. I wish you well too. Hannah
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello Hannah and welcome from me, too.

I agree with DD that you will get more replies - and probably more informed replies from people who have had this op if you post on Living With Arthritis.

I'm a bit puzzled about the rheumatologist not wanting to put you on drugs. Do you have an auto-immune form of arthritis such as rheumatoid or psoriatic, or osteoarthritis? I ask because, if it's auto-immune, I'd expect a rheumatologist to want you on the meds however young you were. If it's OA, however, rheumatologists don't usually deal with it.

I hope you can get some answers. Personally, as a veteran of 3 knee replacements and 2 hip (all very successful) I'd be wary of feet as they're so complex. That's just my view though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hannah19
    Options
    Hi, thank you for you reply. I am grateful for your view I have osteoarthritis, the ware and tear one. He does not want me to reply on medication at this young age. I do not understand why they do not want to deal with it though?
    I have tried posting in that one but it hasn't come through yet. Wow that's a lot. That's why I am trying to ask around because feet are so awkward.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It can't be dealt with, end of. OA is one of the conditions of life for which there is no cure, it is a progressive and degenerative condition and, if you are a dancer, then that has probably triggered it. I suspect the injection you had was a steroid - that doesn't cure, only mask; apparently they're nice while they last but mine never have. DD
  • hannah19
    Options
    Its horrible that it can not be dealt with. I haven't been dancing that long I do not think that caused it. Yes I have had a steroid injection and that has taken away a lot of the pain. Mine was nice, it was painful when it went in but its ok now.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Of course it's horrible but there are things that don't fit neatly with one's expectations of life. I was 'lucky' in that my life took a wrong turn from birth so it must be far harder for someone who is used to better health. It can't be easy. DD
  • hannah19
    Options
    I know. If you do not mind me asking what arthritis do you have? and oh my gosh from birth? how old are you now? Its not easy sometimes but it can not be easy for you either.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I was born with eczema then developed chronic asthma when I was seven (both auto-immune conditions). This was in the days when ointments and inhalers hadn't been invented so my childhood was miserable. Then things settled down once the drugs were there and I thought all would be OK. Yeah, right! :lol:

When I was 37 my left knee began to swell but no-one could tell me what was going on with it: five years later it was 27 inches in circumference and required surgery. It was eventually decided that I had some form of auto-immune inflammatory arthritis and I was put onto some meds - far too little far too late unfortunately and of course the disease spread to other joints. Then in 2006 my skin had a burst of pustular psoriasis so I was classed as having psoriatic arthritis (PsA). In 2011, when I was 53, I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in both knees and referred to an orthopaedic surgeon regarding new knees. He told me I was three years too young and three stone too fat. I'm now the right age (and still tubby :wink: ) but in the intervening years both ankles have succumbed to OA and both hips (the left fairly recently and that take my tally of affected joints to around the 40 mark). It's a bit grim at times but it's what I have and I have to get on with things. I've never really known what good health feels like but no matter. I decided aged 16 against having children so I don't pass on this rubbish - my parents dodged the genetic bullets they so thoughtfully donated to me! :lol: DD