Trying to Conceive

Diandra1983
Diandra1983 Member Posts: 4
edited 27. May 2014, 03:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there!

This is my first time here and I am looking for advice. Basically I suffer from arthritis and have done since I was 11 although I was symptom free for many years. For the last two and a half years it has came back a vengeance!!

I have tried several therapies mostly with little success. I was on methotrexate and inflix but stopped these as my husband and I want to try for a baby before my daughter gets any older - she will be 11 this year, I am 30!

We already have some fertility problems and are attending a clinic for this tomorrow. I have heard of a drug called clomid which makes you more fertile and I was wondering if anyone has been prescribed this to help them fall pregnant quicker due to the fact that all rhum meds have stopped? I am in total agony and feel like if I don't get pregnant quickly I may not last off my meds!

Sorry its so long!!!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello diandra1983 and welcome to the forum. Pregnancy and the difficulties of having to come off the meds in order to conceive is a regular topic on here and I hope some of those currently in that situation will see your post. To my knowledge, some succeed and some have to give up trying in order to go back on the meds. I've never heard of the drug you mention (No-one else has suggested it) but, in any case, you would have to discuss this with your rheumatologist. Please don't let the arthritis get too bad though. Remember, conceiving is only stage 1. You'll then have 9 months of pregnancy followed by a difficult first year. (I know. I did it.) Has your rheumatologist mentioned steroids as a possibility? They bring their own problems and those problems are not to be minimised but they might get you through a tough time.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    As a P.S. :roll: you might find some things here that help. http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/Search/search_results_page_view?SearchableText=pregnancy
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Diandra1983
    Thank for getting back to me! Just need to keep everything crossed!!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Diandra1983
    And welcome...I do know we have a had a few people on hear that have stopped medication to get pregnant,so if you do a search at the top of the forum something might appear...I do wish you well and hope things work out family wise..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Bonnielinda
    Bonnielinda Member Posts: 37
    Just wanted to wish you all the best in starting your family! Stay positive and good luck.
  • Diandra1983
    Thank you Bonnielinda!!
  • jabster
    jabster Member Posts: 39
    Hi!

Ok where to start!..

I was on Clomid 50mg for 5 months then went onto have IVF (unsuccessful)
    The Clomid was prescribed by the fertility clinic as they need to monitor you on it to check you are ovulating (responding to it) or not or too much!

I stopped MTX, sulfazaline and plaquinel at the start of our TTC journey and just took Arcoxia 90mg, co codamol and steroid injections. It was a very hard few years tbh. During this time I was approved for anti TNF but I held off starting until after the IVF.

I found Clomid very hard going! Emotional mess, AF's horrendous (ended up in bed!) but at that time I would have tried anything to have a family. So speak to your fertility consultant and weigh everything up for yourself and see if it's for you.

After the Clomid we had to wait a year on IVF, there are other steps inbetween IUI and OI injections but we had a great fertility consultant who could see I needed back on my Rheumy meds so pushed us through to IVF.

I also had other issues during the fertility treatment- PCOS and now diagnosed with endometriosis which didn't help.

I could go on for ages about this and I'm sure this is a ramble already lol. If you've any questions just give me a shout :)

Good luck!! x