Gastroscopy results, mixed!

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 21. May 2014, 14:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well not the most pleasant of procedures and I'm glad I opted for sedation.
Mixed results.
My throat problems, a constant feeling of pressure on my throat a bit like the sensation of being choked together with some swallowing difficulties and finding it hard to talk for too long before feeling that my throat is tired and needing to force it a bit are due to post surgery damage to the soft tissues and muscles around my throat so I need to discuss this at my next Orths appointment in July, worst aspect of this was that I used to sing in a choir and at present can't do this.

The other thing is that it showed some "raised erosive gastritis" in my stomach so I can no longer take NSAIDs which is a problem, especially as I am on a high dose of Naproxen, 500mg twice a day, and when I have tried to reduce it was unable to because of the pain. Off to see my GP tomorrow to see what he says, and feeling very anxious about this.

Mood not then helped by hubby "helpfully" saying,
"But you're going to get better and then you won't need them anymore"

Don't think he quite understands arthritis!

Thanks for all the pocket duties!
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Slosh, there is optimism, misplaced optimism and stick-your-head-in-the-sand optimism. I'm sure your husband is trying to cheer you up but I think the sooner you can disabuse him of error, the better for both of you. If he refuses to face facts it leaves you facing them alone and that's not good.

I totally get the choir thing as my both my son and his wife are keen singers. However, it sounds as if it will have to be put on hold for a while yet. I hope maybe some exercises will be able to sort the problem when you see your orthopaedic chap. It might be worth asking what professional singers would do in such a situation.

As for the NSAIDS, is it all of them you can't take or just some? The Cox2 inhibitor ones were designed to not damage the stomach. Having said that, the original sort did so much damage to mine I can no longer take any kind but that was some time ago and an extreme case. I hope your GP can help. It would at least be worth asking about them if he / she doesn't suggest them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Slosh
    Glad you have that over with, but mixed results.. what surgery did you have on your throat if you don't mind me asking...so sorry the singing is on hold for you , has for the nisaids I'm like SW quite a bit of damage so I cant take them and also kidney probs...my GP did try me back on the diclos but I had to come off them again...so not much relief here..not fair is it... :roll: hope you can get some help with the throat very soon...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Thanks
    I had surgery to remove two prolapsed discs in my neck and to fuse together the corresponding three vertebrae. They go from the front of the neck and move the throat out of the way, initially there are usually prblems with the voice and swallowing but this should only last about 4 weeks, but this has gone on a lot longer.

Just feeling really fed up at the moment, I've already had to give up one hobby because of this and can't bear the thought of having to give up singing as well. As a teacher too a voice problem isn't helpful. I know these are small things in the scheme of life but it's hard having to accept these.

Luckily I thought ahead and pre-booked a GP appointment for tomorrow morning on the basis I could cancel if needed so I will discuss it with him then and take your suggestions with me. On the bright side at least this gastro problem has been picked up early before I had any symptoms.
    Thanks for your support.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hmmmm. Nothing we have to cede is a small thing in the scheme of life - these are our lives and losing what we like doing flaming well rubs salt into very raw wounds: I know from longstanding and personal experience that it's never the stuff we don't like doing which has to be stopped.

You have an answer to the throat (which is a good thing and may resolve itself with time) but I am wondering if you were prescribed a stomach protector alongside the nap? I was on Celebrex (and it helped) but my then GP altered the script to nap plus omeprazole due to his costs; two pills being cheaper than one was an eye-opener for me.

Now, the husband. Blokes like to fix things but we cannot be fixed as such. My husband tries to cope with my on-going health conditions but it is a challenge: he is used to going to the doctors when summat is wrong, taking some pills and lo! Things get better. Nice world if you can get it. :wink: Meanwhile you have us. We totally get it, comprehend it, understand it, live it and hope to help you through it, OK? DD

PS I am pleased you opted for sedation, that always sounds like a plan to me.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Thanks DD.
    Yes I am on a stomach protector as well, and had a blood test a couple of months ago to check my kidney function. Very lucky with my GPs, he did get me to try and reduce the amount of Naproxen I was taking a while ago but I just couldn't manage it so it hsd to go up and he did say it was an unusually high dose.

My husband is good, he does the hoovering etc that I can't but I have to fight with him to be allowed to do the jobs I can manage. My sister is a bit the same, she is 20 years older than me and is finding it very hard to accept that despite surgery I am not fixed! I didn't tell her about this because I knew she would make a comment along the lines of "And you were doing so well".

I know this is a winge and a moan but I have learnt that on here I don't need to apologise for this. It's so good to be able to let off steam to people who understand and be able to take of my "brave face" for a while.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Your post was neither a whinge or a moan, it was the post of one who has much on her plate and your nearest and dearest may not necessarily be 'on-board' (usually because they care and ergo feel helpless). It's not easy for them either but that can be difficult for us to take into account; arthritis of any form not only affects the individual, it ripples through their social groups. The variability of the condition is also difficult to grasp for all involved parties. DD

PS I am pleased you had a stomach protector but bothered that a helpful med for you is now on your 'banned' list. Grrrrrrr.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Glad to see you are done and dusted Slosh albeit you still need some answers. You sound as though you have a good rapport with your GP let's hope he can sort out some relief for you, let us know how you get on........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    I will do. Glad I thought ahead and booked an appointment for tomorrow, I worked on tbe basis that I could always cancel it if I didn't need it but also knew that sometimes it can be a wait if you want to see a specific doctor.
    Feeling quite anxious though, just seems to be one thing after another but as I'm discovering that seems to be one of the joys of arthritis!
    All I can say is that when I visit work on Thursday tbe person who has been covering me and upsetting my TAs and support officer had better steer clear as I may not be in the best of moods. She's been happily letting people think that I'm not returning!
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Slosh I am with you now I know there are a couple of other people on here that have had surgery on there spine from the front...and I always think how brave...but sorry you was left with problems like this, but I do think you will be back to singing..you sound like a strong lady..that will not give in... :) glad you have the GPs appointment...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Thank you but I must admit I'm not feeling very strong at the moment.
    Just feel overwhelmed by it all and want to go back a year.

I know I will get through it but it's just one of those days.
    Sorry to be so negative
    Julian of Norwich
  • jul
    jul Member Posts: 40
    Ah Slosh, so glad it's over. Was wondering how you got on.
    Hope you get on ok tomorrow at GP. I feel for you and send you a big gentle hug.
    Jul
  • dreamdaisy
    Go back a year? Nah, it will happen all over again so not a good plan. Let's go forward a year - I wonder how much better life will be then? Hopefully the one who has been upsetting your colleagues will be affected by something nasty to teach her a lesson. :wink:

Recuperation is as much of a rollercoaster as the troubles we deal with on a daily basis. I for one can empathise with being overwhelmed, I'm currently feeling like that too, but I know it will pass, it always does. Yesterday was another stressful day on top of all the other stressful days you've had but, hopefully, they are on their way out. DD
  • Slosh
    Saw GP, and apparently I have a hiatus hernia as well!
    He has put me on a different stomach protector, Omeprazole, and has told me to stop taking the Naproxen, which I expected. He has suggested seeing how I manage without as I recently started on Meptazinol and paracetamol instead of co-dydramol.
    I mentioned the problems I am having with my shoulders and I need to make another appointment with him to look at this in more detail as it could be that I have OA in them as well. In the meantime he just told me to be careful not to overdo things and rest if they get too painful.

Feeling a bit anxious to put it mildly about it but at least because this problem has been found early he did say I might be able to have NSIADS again in the future.

Need to phone up this afternoon to make next appointment as they will be making more available then.

Definitely going to ask for another OH review and the possibility of an OT assessment when I go in to work tomorrow as then hopefully things can be put in place ready for when I return to work in September.

DD you are wicked, but one thing which is a boost is that it means I know I am missed and wanted back, better than her being too good!
    Julian of Norwich
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Slosh, I have a Hiatus Hernia, I take Omeprazole and it does seem to help me, no problems so far. I'm sorry you've been having such a ruff time and it's impacting on your singing in the choir. My OH is 'rather not know and stick head in sand!' So what I did was get a selection of booklets related to what is wrong with me and leave them on his bed side table and tell him to read them! He understands now! He is a wonderful man other than that, he does literally everything cooking, shopping, gardening, handy work and assisting me with showering and drying my hair. So I do let him off with being a jerk now and then! Hope things seem a little better today.
  • Slosh
    Thanks
    I must admit the stomach problems came out of the blue as I've had no indigestion or heartburn.
    OH is good, hoovers, cleans floors, irons and changes the bed etc which is all the more impressive as his family background is Pakistani and this is not usual for men from that culture. I did try what you suggested once last year but he read what he wanted to read, I may try it again though.
    Julian of Norwich
  • jul
    jul Member Posts: 40
    Hi Slosh
    Sorry to hear about your hernia. I hope the new pills help. Good luck with OH tomorrow. Hope you are feeling better than yesterday.
    Jul
  • Slosh
    I haven't got OH yet, going into school tomorrow to meet with my head and will request a further OH referral then. Feeling anxious about managing without the Naproxen.
    Slightly better mood than yesterday, especially as whike I was talking my daughter this morning my 2 1/2 year old grandson said that he "needed" Granny to come and play toys with him. Good incentive to work hard with my exercises so I can go over next week and visit once I get my new car.
    How are you?
    Julian of Norwich