Getting excited

mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 22. May 2014, 06:42 in Community Chit-chat archive
Getting excited for our holiday,our children put together for their dad's 70th birthday at Xmas and got us a mini cruise,we are going down to Southampton on Sunday and stay in a hotel overnight then board the ship on monday,we then go to Bruges where we visit a First World War cemetery and the Menin Gate we then go to Guernsey and have a tour round the island,while on board we will see Alfie Bow in concert,we return home on friday.We are so grateful to our family for this wonderful trip . Mig

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    mig wrote:
    Getting excited for our holiday,our children put together for their dad's 70th birthday at Xmas and got us a mini cruise,we are going down to Southampton on Sunday

Now that would be a mini cruise :lol:

Mig, it sounds lovely. I have a thing about the First World War and we stayed in Ypres for a week some years back. The Menin Gate is amazing and they play the Last Post there every evening. There's a cafe / bar just below it where you can get a terrific herbal beer. If possible see the museum in Ypres and Passchendaele. So moving.

Bruges is lovely. There is also a good cafe / bar where you can buy..... :lol:

Have a great time!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    I'd like to add that we saw Alfie Boe in concert 2 years ago and he was amazing . Good fun and down to earth but an incredible voice ; loved it so much that my cat was named after him . Have a wonderful trip .
    mamasmurf
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Sounds wonderful and Guernsey is beautiful. Hope you have good weather.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Just remembered the name of the beer we had in Bruges (though not the lovely Ypres herbal one). It was Delirium Tremens :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Have a wonderful time Mig what a mini cruise! Which ship are you going on out of interest?
  • mig
    It's the Azura. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    This sounds fabulous, no wonder you are getting excited! I hope you have a lovely time and enjoy every moment - please tell us about it when you return! :) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Aww Mig this is brilliant ..how lovely of your family to do this for you both.I am so very pleased for you :D ...just enjoy..xx.
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Need pocket dwellers for this?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Boomer13 wrote:
    Need pocket dwellers for this?
    brilliant ..shall we all get packing... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    sounds brilliant Mig I love cruises any room in you suitcase for me he he.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • mig
    I wish with all my heart I could take each and everyone of you,can you imagine the time we'd have,those poor sailors ! Mig
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Oooh, that sounds wonderful Mig. Have a wonderful time.
    Christine
  • Bonnielinda
    Bonnielinda Member Posts: 37
    What a great gift Mig! I did a similar route about 3 years ago on the MSC Poesia. We ended up in Kiel and had to fly back from there.

I felt very humbled at the Menin Gate, the long list of names .....
    As with all memorials a beautiful but sad experience. If you are going to stay for the night service. I do recommend you get there early to get a good spot.

Have a brilliant time :)
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    mig wrote:
    It's the Azura. Mig

Oh Mig, I've been on that ship, it's amazing and will knock your socks off! The whole ship,rooms,restaurants,bars I could on are outstanding. You will not want to come home! Let us know all about it when you get back!