Clunking in hip

krisbe
krisbe Member Posts: 95
edited 22. May 2014, 14:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
This morning when I was doing my exercises ( the one where you stand up and bend your leg and bring it up to 90 degrees to your body) and experienced a clunking sound in my new hip. I tried it again and it happened again and again. Has anyone else had this? This is worrying me now as it hasnt happened before.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I get this occasionally, usually if I've neglected the exercises for a day or two. I find it sorts itself out once I get back into my proper routine.

I remember I had something similar with my knee revision and the surgeon said it's be OK once all the muscles were properly strong again.

I'm sorry, I can't remember how far post-op you are krisbe.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • krisbe
    Sticky I'm about 11 weeks post op. I did do quite a lot of walking yesterday. Walked up to Dunelm Mill (about a mile) and back again. Then I was kneeling down getting something out of the cupboard. Might have been that. The physio told me to cut down my exercises to twice a day, but she gave me a couple more and a stretch exercise which kills me and told me to practice balancing on my operated leg, swinging my other one back and forth in a controlled manner (which I have great difficulty with). x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    My guess would be that you've maybe overdone things a bit especially if some of the walking was on uneven ground. It's always harder than on flat indoor floors. If you keepup with the exercises but go a bit easier on the walking maybe it's settle down. I hope so but, if not, get some proper advice.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I get this when I wear really flat shoes ie crocs..I had mine x-rayed and there wasn't anything to worry about they said... :o but I do
    Love
    Barbara
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Hello Krisbe

Kneeling down? I was told never to do that or squat. Makes things difficult and I have to use a dressing table height stool to get things out of low cupboards, etc.

I'll be interested in knowing if the other forum members who have had hip replacements can kneel.

Janet
  • jen9432
    jen9432 Bots Posts: 37
    I read about something called "snapping hip syndrome". It is basically that clunking noise your hips produce in certain movements. The article basically advised not to worry about it. That the hip was being pulled in a very small way a little out of sync by the muscles. Usually from either over doing it, or having a slip and fall. The article also said that it usually resolves on its own in 2-8 weeks. I would take it easy and follow your physio's advice. If it doesn't clear up you can always get an xray or MRI to verify everything is ok inside. Good Luck!
  • krisbe
    Hello Krisbe

Kneeling down? I was told never to do that or squat. Makes things difficult and I have to use a dressing table height stool to get things out of low cupboards, etc.

I'll be interested in knowing if the other forum members who have had hip replacements can kneel.

Janet

I was shown how to kneel by the physio about a month ago. It is too painful to be honest as it really hurts my knees (both of them) as I have a bit of arthritis in them and also because the knee is still swollen. I was told not to squat at the moment but I dont know if that means forever. My neighbour is 78 and had a hip replacement about 12 years ago. He gets under cars, walks on the roof to repair it and built an extension to his house as well as working full time (his own business). Different surgeons say different things. I was told not to bend down for 12 weeks at least and not to curl up in bed for at least 6 months.
  • krisbe
    jen9432 wrote:
    I read about something called "snapping hip syndrome". It is basically that clunking noise your hips produce in certain movements. The article basically advised not to worry about it. That the hip was being pulled in a very small way a little out of sync by the muscles. Usually from either over doing it, or having a slip and fall. The article also said that it usually resolves on its own in 2-8 weeks. I would take it easy and follow your physio's advice. If it doesn't clear up you can always get an xray or MRI to verify everything is ok inside. Good Luck!

My physio keeps telling me to do more and more as well as go to the gym, using treadmill, stepper and bike and to swim as well. I think its too much as my otherarthritic hip is hurting with all the extra exercise its getting.