Unsure of how to proceed

Bex186
Bex186 Member Posts: 2
Hi,
In February this year I woke up on a Monday morning in severe pain, I couldn’t move my right arm or my neck, the pain was coming from my right collarbone, the inner joint. I had inflammation over my chest and a lump on the inner joint.
I was finding it literally impossible to dress myself, or even move from one place to another, for about 3 weeks. During this time I managed to get to the doctors and had the doctor out to see me. They thought I had pulled a muscle, prescribed me painkillers (plenty of them) to get me through,
eventually sending me for an x-ray which showed nothing.
After those initial 3 weeks I was better but still finding it difficult to do things such as was my hair or dress alone. Anything that involved lifting my arm was a pain.
I got sent for an ultrasound scan where they found the joint seemed to be eroded and decided it could be arthritis.
I was referred to a consultant and have just had the appointment.
This is where I became confused, he asked me a few questions and looked at my joints. Not with too much depth if I’m honest, more a quick once over while I was sat on a chair.
He poked the lump on my collarbone and then told me he thought it was inflammatory arthritis and that because the swelling was gone, he couldn’t do anything for me. I just had to come back in 3 months.
But I’m confused as to why he didn’t check more thoroughly, I did try to tell him that I was still in pain with everyday tasks and am very stiff in the mornings, that my elbow has started to hurt too. He just didn’t seem very interested.
I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do?

Also, I wondered if these could also be to do with the inflammatory arthritis. I’ve never noticed any swelling but I have had a lot of trouble with my right hand and wrist (aching, stiffness) and my knees and hips will literally seize up if I bend down for any longer than a few seconds.
I didn’t really mention these as I felt he had no interest if I’m honest.

I’m 23, if that matters at all.

Thank you!
:D

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Bex186

Thank you for your forum posting. I’m really sorry to hear about the pain you’re in, it sounds as if you have had quite a bit going on. It can be so difficult when you’re unsure what’s happening and why.

Just to let you know we’re not medically trained and unable to offer individual medical advice.

So if I’ve got this right you had an x-ray which showed nothing, followed by an ultrasound where they found the joint seemed to be eroded and decided it could be arthritis. You have now just seen the consultant who said basically come back in 3 months, with you none the wiser. I am wondering which type of consultant you saw.

You go on to say you are confused why you weren’t checked more thoroughly. I completely understand what you are saying and understand your confusion, it also sounds as if you may have felt unheard by the consultant and are left not knowing what to do.

You also mention whether it could be anything to do with the inflammatory arthritis. You say that you didn’t mention the trouble you are having with your hand, wrist, knees and hips. I think firstly whether or not it may be inflammatory arthritis is a question for your medical professional, as you want to clarify what’s going on for you. It may also be worth mentioning the aching, stiffness that you describe and maybe if you notice this at any particular time of the day.

The link below will take you to Arthritis Research UK information on ‘What is arthritis’ which gives information about the different types of arthritis:
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/arthritis/what-is-arthritis.aspx

The following link is to Arthritis Care information about ‘Getting a diagnosis’ which may be of interest to you:
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/Search/search_results_page_view?SearchableText=getting+a+diagnosis

I wonder if you would like to give us a call on our Helplines: Freephone 0808 800 4050 (Monday-Friday 10am-4pm) here we can talk informally and in confidence, sometimes a listening and non-judgemental ear can be helpful.

You might also like to post on the ‘living with arthritis’ forum, here you will probably get more responses and support.
    I hope this is of some help

Best wishes
    Lynda