Is it mandatory that you have to fill an ESA50 in CAPITALS

justinbarrow
justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
edited 26. May 2014, 07:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Going through the process of filling in an ESA50 form for Employment Support Allowence but it states the form must be filled in in Capital letters, Does this matter as I would struggle doing this dont think everyone will be filling in these forms in capital letters.

There isn't enough space in the boxes as it is to explain things so using capitals will make you have less space to explain things :roll:

Comments

• toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    If they say you must then I presume they mean you must.. you can see they don't want people's unreadable handwriting.. if short of space attach extra sheets, the more the merrier the more detail the better so don't crimp yourself into the space available.
  • justinbarrow
    Do you think it will be ok to put in non capitals as I struggle with handwriting anyway - Don`t fancy adding extra sheets in-case they go missing but understand what you mean.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I think you really need to and it may hold your claim up if you have to redo it. As toady said give them as much information as possible on a separate sheet but make sure you put the question number on and your NI number. I took my forms to CAB and they actually filled them in for me as I couldn't anyway as my hands were in a flare..........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I don't have experience of this particular form, but in my job as an Inclusion Manager I have had forms returned or ignored if I have not followed instructions. Black ink is preferred for photocopying and block capitals for legibility. I also have a role in shortlisting candidates for roles in school and if a form is not correctly filled out e.g blue ink rather than black then it tends to go to the bottom of the pile or not considered, seems harsh but the view is that how you fill in a form is part of the selection process.
    I would ask for help if you find writing in capitals difficult and use seperate sheets to supplement this information if this is allowed butit might be worth checking. If not try using bullet points to summarise key information. Good luck
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    If it says that capitals must be used then capitals must be used. If you want your form to be rejected then use lower case, you'll only have to do it again. :( Am I right in thinking you have a child in their teens? I understand that it could be a loss of face asking for their help but it could solve the problem. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • justinbarrow
    They said I could use an online form and fill that in with the computer then print it out and send it back to them. They said sometimes this is easier for people as they can run out of space when writing.

I'm sure I have sent forms back to them in the past not filled in capitals and not had any problems. They told me that I have a med cert valid for nearly 12 months so if there is a problem there is time to sort it out.

Apparently I'm one of the last being transferred to esa.
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    Online is one idea but again do bear in mind what it tells them about your abilities, ie if you do it yourself you are already (by definition) sitting long enough at the keyboard, concentrating, typing.. if in doubt get someone to do it for you or if not, clearly explain if you have had to break it into very small chunks etc.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Do you have anyone who can help you - preferably someone with small and neat writing? For my DLA forms, I get someone to write with me dictating and then explain why I needed help etc.
  • justinbarrow
    So they try and trick you by saying its easier to do it online. I am not filling it in in one go - just taking my time with it and gathering medical info from my GP and hospital this week.

Im in-between changing GP`s which isnt ideal timing as the surgery I am leaving said once the other pracice takes you on then they are no longer able to act on my behalf if they are contacted by DWP for more info which is why I am having to get all this this week as the new GP wont have the notes in time, Its a pain in more ways than one. :roll: