OA - tiredness

Kazzab123
Kazzab123 Member Posts: 26
edited 28. May 2014, 17:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have OA and at times I struggle with extreme fatigue, it's as though I'm running on empty and I could happily lay my head down wherever I am and sleep, it's as though my body is shutting down on me. I lead a busy life like a lot of people but when I get bad it's not like a normal sort of tiredness, it's more extreme than that. There were two days last week when I felt like this then it goes as quick as it appears.

I was wondering if this is a side effect of my body dealing with my arthritis. The strange thing is feeling like this doesn't coincide with being in pain, it happens mainly on the days when I'm not in a great deal of pain. Has any other OA suffers experienced the same thing?

Karen

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I to suffer with extreme fatigue, I especially become fatigued in the afternoon early evening. It is a cross between the Arthritis and meds. All you can do is rest up when your at home or have a siesta if you can. Unfortunately it's part and parcel of your life now and you have to work around it.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm glad it's not just me. I just find I don't have the energy or the stamina I used to. I'm on sick leave at present so it's not such a problem but not sure what it will be like when I go back to work, a friend of mine makes eye masks for sleeping with embroidered open eyes on them, maybe that woukd work if I need 40 winks at work!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You should ask your GP to check your iron levels and Vit D. You could be low in both or either. Not every problem we get is arthritis-related.

Slosh - some of your tiredness might still be to do with the op and anaesthetic. It can take some time to fully get out of the body. Mind you, if you're not sleeping well....
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I am with SW you need to have this checked out, its so easy to put everything down to arthritis, please let us know how you get on ..you might feel so much better if your GP can prescribed something...good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • celebrationb
    celebrationb Member Posts: 134
    this has happen to me , I try to train at ju jitsu I don't throw anyone so no extra weight on my legs . but a couple of months ago I was training like my normal felt Ill, knew I was going to faint and grabbed on a friend then fainted. Went to doc she said you fainted that was it, no tests just you faintex
    Now have had that feeling a few times , now I just seat down at the door for air.
    I don't know if its oa affecting me or what but have had these tired, fainty, feeling not right for a while..
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    This is part-and-parcel of any form of arthritis. Our bodies are fighting themselves all the time, sometimes even gentle movements hurt which causes us to tense muscles so they ache on top. I have built rest periods into every day because that way I can last from morning to evening - just. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    I have been suffering from terrible fatigue for the last 4 years. I have been found to be anaemic, which at first was put down to heavy periods but at 54 periods can't be the cause. I am now having to have the cause investigated and have been referred to gastroenterology, but for some reason I don't think this will find the problem. I have also been referred to Rheumatology as I'm having problems with dry mouth and eyes but to be honest I would do anything to get rid of the fatigue as I find it impacts on my life so much. There are some days when I am not in work where I have not got up until around 5.00 pm and at Christmas I am ashamed to say I stayed in bed even longer! I convinced myself that I must be depressed and was going to go to my GP and ask for anti-depressants, but deep down I know that I'm not depressed although on days where I do stay in bed I down feel 'down' as I am annoyed with myself for wasting a day. My GP did tell me that sometimes they cannot find a cause for a person being anaemic, so I shall see how things go. I would definitely advise anyone who is suffering with severe fatigue to get their iron levels etc tested.