neck pain is the worst!

As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 2. Jun 2014, 02:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have AS and neck pain is expected and part of the package, I haven't really suffered that badly with my neck until now. I have at times had a really stiff and sore neck while in a flare which hasn't really bothered me enough to moan about it. Well the last few days things have changed big time, the pain in my neck is so painful it feels like a constant muscle spasm wedged into the side of my neck with pulsating pain which never seems to stop. The pain radiates all the way up the side and back of my head which is a very strange and painful sensation. My shoulder on the right side is also so painful and stiff that my arms is just a dead weight. Anyone have any experience of this type of pain and anything that helps? I have tried hot/cold compress and neither work. I have been digging through my medication draw tonight and decided to give Naproxen a go instead of Arcoxia to see if that helps

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I used to suffer from muscular neck pain which is not the same, I know, but I found that a mini TENS machine was quite effective, especially for short term relief. Do you have a decent pillow? I have an odd shaped memory foam pillow that gives my neck plenty of support.

I hope someone else who has more experience can come along and help you out.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I really wish I had a good solution for you, however, I haven't found anything that helps substantively. I absolutely dread a flare of PsA/spondylitis in my neck. Keeping your neck warm with scarves helps a little, but, generally the pain is so bad for me (and triggers a migraine headache, typically) that I lie as still as possible, apply heat and ride it out for days or weeks. Movement, exercise, massage and physio all aggravate mine, so I no longer try any therapies.

Sorry not to be positive, I even considered not posting a reply at all....but there it is. Very, very painful. Disease modifying drugs have been the only thing that has helped decrease the number and intensity of neck flares for me.

Sorry for you :cry: Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion that may help.

Anna
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hi,

I have PsA cervical Spondulitis too & the only thing that has ever helped massively was a steroid injection in my lower back, towards my spine!!

My Rheumy ordered an xray which showed no changes so PsA was ruled out as the cause & my severe fibromyalgia was given the blame. Every 3 months I'd go back in a right state, migraines galore ... Eventually I couldn't even drive as I couldn't turn my neck to check for traffic, it was horrendous!!

I was constantly flaring with FM & PsA with OA grumbling in the background & my Rheumy could see I was at breaking point so she said ok I'll try something just on the off chance .... It was this injection!! It contained local anesthesitic as well as steroid. She warned me there was slim to no chance of it working but she said she'd know wen I saw her next wot was going on.

Well no word of a lie within 3 days I started getting some movement in my neck by day 5 I could look over my shoulders :o :shock: I was amazed!! Wen I saw my rheumy the following month she was shocked too as she said it 100% confirmed cervical Spondulitis even tho I had no visible signs on xray ... There's no way the injection would've worked how it did on anything else!!!

I hope my far to LOoonnngggggg explaination gives you some hope!! I'd also ask ure Rheumy nurse if maybe it's worth an early review ... Maybe ure DMARD's need adjusting!!

Good luck, keep us posted.

(((Hugs)))

Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • As5567
    The last day or so has been really rough, I think its partly my fault from trying out Naproxen. The drug does seem to work very well for my neck but only for 2-3 hours at most. It also seemed to work ok for my spine, ribs and hips too but again the effects were too short. I find the arcoxia doesn't work as well at the moment but the effects do last around 18 hours which takes the edge off the pain and some stiffness.

I think the head pain right now is the most painful part of my neck/shoulder the pain is a constant throbbing pain that just doesn't want to give up, all I want to do is close my eyes and sleep, but that's easier said than done with very painful hips, spine and rib area constantly going into spasm.
    Starburst wrote:
    I used to suffer from muscular neck pain which is not the same, I know, but I found that a mini TENS machine was quite effective, especially for short term relief. Do you have a decent pillow? I have an odd shaped memory foam pillow that gives my neck plenty of support.

I hope someone else who has more experience can come along and help you out.
    Tens machine sounds like a very good idea after reading up about them online, well worth a try anyway.
    Boomer13 wrote:
    I really wish I had a good solution for you, however, I haven't found anything that helps substantively. I absolutely dread a flare of PsA/spondylitis in my neck. Keeping your neck warm with scarves helps a little, but, generally the pain is so bad for me (and triggers a migraine headache, typically) that I lie as still as possible, apply heat and ride it out for days or weeks. Movement, exercise, massage and physio all aggravate mine, so I no longer try any therapies.

Sorry not to be positive, I even considered not posting a reply at all....but there it is. Very, very painful. Disease modifying drugs have been the only thing that has helped decrease the number and intensity of neck flares for me.

Sorry for you :cry: Hopefully someone else will have a suggestion that may help.

Anna
    Thanks for your reply, many people on another forum I used don't seem to have found anything to work for this type of pain. The headache pain right now seems to be the worst for me, I have almost never had any type of head aches in my life other than the time I had a sinus infection. This headache is probably one of the most draining pains I've ever had, it truly is awful
    DebbieT wrote:
    Hi,

I have PsA cervical Spondulitis too & the only thing that has ever helped massively was a steroid injection in my lower back, towards my spine!!

My Rheumy ordered an xray which showed no changes so PsA was ruled out as the cause & my severe fibromyalgia was given the blame. Every 3 months I'd go back in a right state, migraines galore ... Eventually I couldn't even drive as I couldn't turn my neck to check for traffic, it was horrendous!!

I was constantly flaring with FM & PsA with OA grumbling in the background & my Rheumy could see I was at breaking point so she said ok I'll try something just on the off chance .... It was this injection!! It contained local anesthesitic as well as steroid. She warned me there was slim to no chance of it working but she said she'd know wen I saw her next wot was going on.

Well no word of a lie within 3 days I started getting some movement in my neck by day 5 I could look over my shoulders :o :shock: I was amazed!! Wen I saw my rheumy the following month she was shocked too as she said it 100% confirmed cervical Spondulitis even tho I had no visible signs on xray ... There's no way the injection would've worked how it did on anything else!!!

I hope my far to LOoonnngggggg explaination gives you some hope!! I'd also ask ure Rheumy nurse if maybe it's worth an early review ... Maybe ure DMARD's need adjusting!!

Good luck, keep us posted.

(((Hugs)))

Xx xX
    I'm currently on no meds, am waiting to start a new Biologic drug that I've been waiting for 8odd weeks. My doctor is truly useless so I have very little hope of getting anything sorted soon, I'm still waiting for a phone call 9 days later which is for an urgent matter!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I am wondering if you should ask for an MRI of your neck , at least this will show any changes..I am due one tomorrow for my back and neck..the only thing that helps me is heat and while I have that on I exercise it..hope you get some relief soon
    Love
    Barbara
  • As5567
    4 phone calls later and I'm still left in the dark, this whole never ending flare is really starting to wear me down mentally now. I haven't been able to leave the house on my own for weeks, virtually cannot walk and I'm in constant pain. My neck is still the same except the other side has began to ache also which I hope doesn't develop into the same type of pain!
    barbara12 wrote:
    I am wondering if you should ask for an MRI of your neck , at least this will show any changes..I am due one tomorrow for my back and neck..the only thing that helps me is heat and while I have that on I exercise it..hope you get some relief soon
    I have been trying hot/cold compress and moving my shoulder/neck area around as much as possible but it doesn't seem to do anything. I would ask for some type of x ray or scan of the area but my doctor is truly useless and getting hold of them seems near impossible. I have been waiting 2 weeks now for a phone call......

I hope your scan went as well as it possibly could.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Would your GP give them a nudge for you? I know mine would in similar circumstances.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    My GP also has a very hard time trying to get in contact with them, it took 5 days for him to get instructions about my pred from them. They were meant to send a letter to myself and the GP about the pred but that's one of many things that never happened. I guess it would be worth while calling my GP on Monday to see if there is anyone I can see/call/talk to about this to get things moving.

Some might say I'm being impatient but I've had no tnf meds since Jan and no Meth for the last 6 weeks. Without any medications I literally cannot function, I seem to be one of those people that get stuck in a never ending flare up while not on medication, and I fear that the longer I'm unable to walk the longer its going to take me to recover from this fully. I can already tell a huge difference in the straights of my legs and back those areas as so weak right now which is also probably due to the pred.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello As5567
    I was seen by a rheumy after 4 years of supposedly OA and he sent me for the MRI and it did go well 40 mins and I didn't press the buzzer :) ...but I have had MRIs in the past ..I just asked my GP to refer me..he is hard work but could see I was determined and in pain...so you ask him and please try and get across how much pain you are in..I know what you mean about being stuck in the middle of nowhere...its rotten for you and I hope you get some help very soon ((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • destiny0321
    destiny0321 Member Posts: 88
    I get awful neck pain as well & right arm just raise it & it as me in tears,
    I have oa & psa.
    I have it every where also at moment I have my diabetes playing up big time as well. Hope you soon feel well thinking of you