big far bruise after blood test

Options
zulaikha
zulaikha Member Posts: 23
edited 17. Jun 2014, 14:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have arthritis so my nurse wanted me to get some blood tests done so I did..once I had reached home I looked at my arm and there was a blue bruise and it hurt so bad..but today was a different story it hurts so bad and the colour of the bruise is like really dark purple..its freaking me out..I would attach a picture if I could..but I dont think I can..but the colour of the bruise is so bad..I have had blood tests done loads of times before and this has never happened..

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's unpleasant but nothing to worry about, if you have some witch hazel cream or liquid (or arnica cream) apply to the bruise, both will help to reduce the heat and swelling of the bruise. Arnica doesn't work for me, I'm a witch hazel girl and always have some to hand for when this occurs.
    It's a risk everyone takes when they put a needle inside us - even hitting a small capillary could cause a nasty-looking bruise. I do my own injections and frequently bruise myself. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I agree with DD. I've been having regular blood tests for more years than I care to remember :roll: Occasionally this happens because a little blood has escaped into the tissues. (A little goes a long way :lol: ) Phlebotomists pride themselves on not doing this but it still happens sometimes. I usually find, about 3 days in, when it's getting better, it can really prickle but at least it's a sign that it'll soon have faded.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright