Fustrated!

fulton
fulton Member Posts: 88
edited 7. Oct 2014, 14:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all I hope your all well. In May last year I had an operation on my left foot in which I was suffering with Ostreoarthritis. In the operation the doctor removed some dead bone and grafted some bone from my heal and put it back together with some metal plates and screws. After a year with very little pain in my foot, ive had the screws removed 3 weeks back on the 27/06, I am about week away from starting a training program to get myself back into shape.
Yesterday I went to my GP with a lot of pain in my right foot! Only to be told I have got Arthritis! I dont know if I should laugh or cry! Just when I thought it was over it's sneaked back in there!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Arthritis is many things apart from one: rarely is it over and done with. All forms of the disease are progressive and degenerative, if your left foot was 'out of proper action' for some time then your right foot would have been compensating. One joint out of kilter throws quite a few more out of their kilter and so the arthritis wagon train rumbles on. I began seventeen years ago with one affected joint (not osteo although that has now joined the party) and now have around thirty-nine. Such fun! :lol:

One of the problems we face is that surgery will not be done until things are bad. This may be the time to start protecting your other joints (such as ankles and hips). I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Fulton

I would look on the bright side. This op has gone well and ok you need the other one doing but you know what to expect now. I appreciate that the same op on the other ankle may not be identical as no two ops are but thinking positively it will go as well as the first. Look after yourself and your other joints the best you can and enjoy life.

Onwards and upwards :);)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think I agree with both the above posts. I think it's very unusual for any kind of arthritis to confine itself to one joint but you've had good results with op no1 so why not more good results as other ops crop up? It is frustrating and annoying when our hopes and plans are dashed but life goes on and some of it is still very good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • fulton
    Well it's official I have RA in my good foot! Plus I've also been told I have Hammer Toe!
  • dreamdaisy
    The good news is that you have found out quickly that this is going on - have you seen a rheumatologist? If so then hopefully you will soon start the meds and that will bring it under control. Arthritis - the gift that keeps on giving. :roll: I did it the other way round, I began with an auto-immune which has led to OA which has led to fibromyalgia. :lol: DD
  • fulton
    It's all good. It gets more and more irritating hammer toe, flat feet, arthritis I'm HLA-B27 positive. Dam I feel special lol.
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hi,

Keep that sense of humour up :wink:
    Life is one big cosmic joke, I'm sure of it :lol:

(((Hugs)))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • stickywicket
    I'm sorry, fulton. It is a fact, I'm afraid that, once arthritis sets in, it often spreads. I have a foot that even a foot scanner doesn't recognise as a foot :lol: Is anything happening as a result of the HLA B27?
    Steven Wright
  • fulton
    I'm getting pain in my back, neck, hips, hands, feet and sometimes elbow and knees. Thanks. :D
  • dreamdaisy
    'Tis the nature of the beast, Fulton, once it's moved in it settles and spreads itself around the accommodation we so kindly provide. Flat feet? Many of us on here have them, and I daresay you will soon be tasting the splendours of plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis. :wink: Remember you are not alone with this, there are a good few millions keeping you company. DD
  • stickywicket
    I think maybe you still have a non-arthritic mindset ie got to doc, get treatment, get better :wink: It doesn't work like that for us :roll: However, we're all in the same boat on here and do understand.
    Steven Wright
  • fulton
    I've had my results from the Rheumatologist, every thing is clear and I have no inflammatory in my blood. So this confusing me as I'm still getting pain in my feet, back, hands and neck.
  • stickywicket
    I'm a little confused as I'm now not sure whether you have RA or just OA.

I seem to remember a while back you'd had an op for OA and thought that that would be the end of it. Unfortunately, this is rarely the case and it now seems to be cropping up in other places.

Has the rheumatologist put you on meds for an inflammatory arthritis or is the conclusion that, with no inflammation present, yours is OA and will therefore be treated by your GP? (Rheumatologists don't normally treat OA.)
    Steven Wright
  • fulton
    I have to go back in 3 months, they want me to see a physio therapist, in the meantime.
  • fulton
    To be honest I don't know what I've got.
  • dreamdaisy
    Thanks to my triple therapy for PsA I have very low inflammatory markers but pain is a constant companion thanks to my OA. I've been in pain for years now and I fully accept that it is not going to improve, let alone go away. DD
  • fulton
    Today every step is painful
  • dreamdaisy
    I know that very well, Fulton, in fact I've forgotten what pain-free feels like and for me that is a relief because it stops me hankering for something which will never return. I don't normally do this but I am now focusing on my key areas of pain: currently it's toes, ankles, knees, sacro-iliacs, hips, wrists, elbows, shoulders and neck. Now I'll think about something else and yes, it helps to soften things, which is just as well as I have to cook. :|

It seems utterly outrageous that, in the 21st century of counting these things, many of us are afflicted by something which cannot be fixed but it is what it is and it will do what it will do. It's difficult but we, as patients, need to learn how to adapt and cope with the reduced opportunities of life. DD
  • stickywicket
    if you take a DMARD, prescribed by the rheumatologist, such as methotrexate, sulphasalazine or hydroxychloroquine then you have an auto-immu ne form of arthritis such as RA. If you rely on anti-inflammatory meds and pain relief, prescribed by your GP, you probably have OA.

Both cause pain. It's a fact of arthritic life. Have you ever asked your GP for referral to a Pain Clinic? T hey would help you to deal with the pain.
    Steven Wright
  • fulton
    I have never heard of a pain clinic
  • stickywicket
    Ask your GP for a referral to one near you. They have helped a lot of people.
    Steven Wright
  • fulton
    Does make me feel like they think I'm making the pain up!
  • stickywicket
    Why? Because no-one suggested a Pain Clinic? There could be dozens of reasons for that. Just ask your GP for a referral.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I went to one. It didn't teach me anything I didn't already know (I've been dealing with this for eighteen years) but it may be valuable for you. DD
  • fulton
    I guess it because I'm getting told go here, go there rheumatologist said there's no sign of any inflammation, yet I'm on antiinflamitories for inflammation in my feet.