Two dodgy backs, withdrawal symptoms and a scan

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 19. Jun 2014, 08:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
It's been a hectic few days at chez Starburst.

The fluffy one is doped upon on codeine and anti-inflammatories as the vet believes he has hurt his lower spine. It was originally thought to be his tail as it's wonky and amputation was discussed, so I s'pose the news could be worse.

I got the results from the MRI and suspected, inflammation in both sacroiliac joints and some damage of the facet joints. Nothing can be done except for a fusion but that is a bit drastic given my age, it may be a consideration in the future. Naively, I had hoped it would show nothing and that I could be 'fixed' by my osteopathy sessions but alas, life is rarely that kind.

I've been feeling particularly horrendous for the past few days thanks to reducing my dose of anti-depressant. Obviously it's great that my mental health is so good but with the withdrawal symptoms and making me wish I'd never bothered trying to wean off such a high dose. I fainted in the bathroom last night and spent the best part of 15 minutes trying to ease myself off the floor. My back chose to spasm at the same time and I have a bruised leg but except for my pride, I am fine.

I had the scan of my small bowel today. The contrast was unpleasant but not as bad I had thought. They did a poor job of inserting the cannula and I bled everywhere but otherwise, they were so kind to me. I struggled with keeping still and I didn't manage all the contrast, so I really hope the pictures are decent quality. I need answers, I can't keep going on like this.

So, that's my life at the moment. I've not being having the best time since finishing university but as ever, I have to remain hopeful that things will begin to look up.

I know I say this a lot but I really appreciate all of you. x

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Just this

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ :( }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}.
    Hang in there, and hang on to the hope that there'll be a better tomorrow.

Deb xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    When one is lost in the middle of it all it can be hard to see the brighter spots. For what it's worth I think they're there: you know what's happening with the sacro-iliacs, you coped with the scan, you are reducing your heavy-duty anti-deps (is there anyway you can reduce more slowly to give your body a better chance of coping?) so you are getting things sorted. It will take time but if anyone can do it, you can. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    'Fixed'. 'Fixed' :? :? No, you've lost me there :wink:

You did well with the contrast stuff and I hope the result is...well, I don't know what because, although you don't want anything to be majorly wrong, you do want something to treat in order to feel better. Oh bilhooks! I want what you want.

It is, indeed, a good thing if you're able to reduce the anti-dep but fainting? Is that a result of the lowered dose? I wouldn't have connected the two. Could it be just dehydration if you're vomiting a lot? Whatever it is, I hope the trend is upwards. Keep plugging away.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Thank you, as always, for your kind words.

I phoned the duty GP who called me back within the house and was so lovely to me. All hail the NHS! She didn't think it was the anti-d reduction causing a problem but said to come in if I continue to feel poorly.

Gastro have my scan results and will get the consultant to call me by the end of the week, if possible. Private health insurance also has its benefits! :wink:

I've been trying to keep my fluids up. I have an upset stomach and a cold which doesn't help either. So, it's continued resting for me.....!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh hon, yet again you are battling on too many fronts but this bad patch will end: I wish I knew when but, alas, I don't have a clue. Obviously something is generally upsetting your system and I hope you soon discover the culprit. DD

PS I hope you soon recover from the cold.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    How's things, Sophie?
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Thank you for asking, Sticky. The MRI scan of my bowel and my bloods came back normal, which is obviously good news, but still leaves me in limbo land. I've been told to keep a diary of everything I eat and drink, log my weight, monitor any GI symptoms and return for an appt in a few weeks.

In the absence of any diagnosis and with no potential for the symptoms to abate on the horizon, I think I will press ahead and start my new job. I'm getting bored and miserable at home. I have to no choice but to keep my chin and keep going on.
  • stickywicket
    It is good news but, as you say, gets you no further forward. How odd! And how brave of you to opt to start the new job despite all this going on. I hope the 'food log' yields some positive results. Is it worth doing a 'meds log' at the same time or do you always take the same ones at the same times every day? Good luck, with both the log and the job :)
    Steven Wright