Been asked to reduce methotrexate... strange

Kittkat
Kittkat Member Posts: 309
edited 18. Jun 2014, 08:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Got a letter saying I need to reduce my meth from 10mg to 7.5 mg, due to my blood test six weeks ago (!). This is a week after I got the go ahead to go from 12.5 mg to 15mgfrom rheumy secretary. Confused... so am I.

Anyway besides the fact it is bizarre as I am currently meant to be going up from 12.5mg, has this happened to anyone else i.e reducing meth? I am scared I will have to go back to 7.5mg and build back up and seeing as though meth is doin naff all and I have been on it a year, I wanted more drugs not less :( .

Not sure what to do.

Thanks all
How am I gonna be an optimist about this?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think this is a matter for your rheumatology helpline Kittkat. It sounds odd and contradictory. Mistakes can, occasionally, happen and I think you need to know whether you're supposed to reduce or increase it. Could you possibly have been confused with another patient with a similar name? You need to know.

(It is just possible, though, that the plan to increase it has had to be put on hold following your latest blood test. If any of the reading are a little too high or low they might just want to keep you steady for a little longer.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's not unknown for the dosage to be reduced but usually only when the arthritis is very controlled. This does need clarification so, as usual, we are left to do our own admin. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Thanks to you both. I phoned up and the secretary seemed to think my bloods are fine and that as my esr was down she sent me a letter to reduce my meds, well my esr has never really been raised & usually is not a good indicator. Am not controlled by any means, she said she will ask him anyway.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well, you did the right thing but the mystery continues. I hope the rheumatologist does deal with it asap. When are you due your next dose?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright