Methotrexate and raised ALT

tjt6768
tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
edited 27. Jun 2014, 13:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am just sat in Chapel Allerton hospital. Waiting to meet my new rheumy doctor.
I've been on injected meth for a good few months now. Early on my ALT went up to 106.. At that point I was having my bloods done at the gp and the results from there don't go to the rheumy. I saw my rheumy nurse a few weeks after and she said that she would probably have stopped the meth with such high results. Fortunately the ALT sorted itself out and went down to twenty something.
My alt on the last bloods at my gp's were raised again. 94 I think.
I am just hoping that they don't want to stop the meth as I'm only just starting to get benefit from it.
All the rest of the bloods are fine. And the ALT will probably sort itself out like last time.
I hope do anyway. .

I have a funny liver anyway, I have Gilbert's Syndrome. It's nothing sinister but can show weird results in my bloods.

Anyway.....

I shall post later to let you know what they say.

I turned up an hour early as parking is pretty bad here and was hoping the cafe would be open. I'm starving :lol:
doesn't open till half past :roll:
I need tea and toast :lol:
e050.gifMe-Tony
n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
k040.gif
Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I hope the liver settles down, Tony. I'm lucky in that my ALT levels are always good. Just a thought – I know you've mentioned diazapam before now. It's just possible that some GP-prescribed meds might be playing a role, especially if you already have a liver condition. Quite a few meds can affect the liver in some ways. I assume the rheumatologist knows of all the meds you take not just the ones he / she prescribes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've had raised ALT (mine is currently 33 which is high for me) but I've had it in the upper the 600s thanks to Enbrel. I think it's wise for you to list all the meds you take in case one of them is behind this. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lynnoot
    lynnoot Member Posts: 52
    I've had that happen to me twice when on 25mg MTX, the figure went into the 300's. I've been managing with Enbrel since the last time, but have started flaring, so my rheumy is trying me on 15mg MTX. I was hoping to start on 7.5mg as I feel 15mg is rather high.

It's just a waiting game now, I hope it works but it takes drugs a long time to kick in for me.
  • tjt6768
    Thank you ladies.
    The rheumy is aware of all the meds I take. Even the temporary one.
    She thinks it could be the antibiotics I took the first week in Spain.
    I had my bloods done at the gp yesterday so she's gonna check those results when they go through and also go on the bloods I'll have done in two weeks time.
    If the ALT is coming down then she'll put it down to that.
    If it is still climbing then she'll ring me and we can discuss things again.
    All in all a good appointment though. She did however rollock me for my poor diet lol.
    I've never really eaten well but lately It's worse than ever.
    I have to get myself some multi vitamins.

Thank you once again dear friends :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    That sounds like a good appointment and it looks as if your rheumatologist is making sure the ALT levels are dealt with asap.

As I remember, don't you have IBS? I reckon that would make a good diet (a) vital and (b) harder but definitely worthwhile.

Did she actually tell you to get multivitamins? It's just that some can react with prescribed meds.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    Yes hun. The sulphasalazine are actually really helping the IBS believe it or not. I can now manage bread and red meat without the chronic pain.

She did say to buy some multivitamin tablets. And she had all my meds listed on the monitor too.

X
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hmmm. I have my bloods done at the hospital and my GP is copied in (which is a nuisance at times because what bothers him doesn't bother anyone in rheumatology or me). I realise that I am fortunate in that my hospital is not that far away - and I tend to nip in just before they close; better parking, no waiting and I irk the staff. :wink: Most satisfying. :D

There could be a number of underlying reasons for this but we both know that alcohol isn't one of them. Please get another set done soon and ask the surgery to copy in the hospital as a matter of course. Hopefully things will settle soon and you will be back to your normal levels. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    hi Tony , I had same problems for several years with raised ALT , they stopped meth twice & put me back on low dose & as they increase it when up again , that was until they increased my folic acid to six days a week & for last 9 years my ALT has been normal ,

how much folic acid they giving you ,
  • tjt6768
    Thanks DD. I have a blood test booked at the gp for two weeks time. I was supposed to be going onto three monthly tests now but will keep it at two weeks while this malarkey is sorted. I think its ridiculous that the hospital can't see the results. It's because I'm on the border of Wakefield and the nearest hospital is there I think.
    I have started to log my results on my phone and should be able to email my rheumy nurse the results. :wink:

Hi trep. I'm only on one folic per six days. I can't remember the dose :oops: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • lynnoot
    lynnoot Member Posts: 52
    I think I per day of folic acid is the maximum. My rheum nurse said that some people only take one dose per week. At the moment I'm taking 6 per week, not on MTX day, but I may try and reduce that eventually.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I am also out of area for my hospital but I take my meth blood book to my GP, they fill the result in and I post it to the hospital who then record it at their end and post it back. I know that didn't happen when I was at Chapel Allerton but I wonder of you could put it to them?

I hope the alt drops down but I also wonder if more folic acid might be useful? I take three a week (every week and I never forget, ever, honest I don't). You take care Mr, something has to go good for you and stay good xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter